Project Stretch - I Am Proud Of My Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I just had to post how proud of my mom I am. She has been volunteering for a dental organization for a number of years now called Project Stretch. They are a group of dentists and hygenists and other people who work in the dental field who travel to parts of the works where people are very poor, have no means of taking care of their teeth, and just generally do not know anything and dentil care.

So far she has been to Nicaragua, Venezuela, Africa (Cape Verde), Chili, and right now she is in Mexico. I am amazed that she does this because at home she is very used to the creature comforts. She would never go camping. Her idea of roughing it is not using a table cloth. Most of these trips she has taken though have brought her to areas of the world that are very under developed. No electricity, running water, or things like that. She has ridden in the back of a 30 year old pickup truck on a mountainside with 15 people and all their gear in the back while climbing this narrow road on the mountainside with a drop of hundreds of feet. Just like out of the movies. They have had to build bridges to cross rivers as they came to them. Things I would never picture my mom doing.

The kids come from miles and miles to see the dentists. It is a huge huge huge deal to them. They do not have cars or even shoes in most case and walk for a full day in many cases to wait on line to see the dentist. The organization goes to the schools and it is like the president has come to visit them. They all pay attention and soak up everything they are told.

Anyway I just thought I would post this because I am so proud of what my mom has done and continues to do.

Here are some pics for anyone who is interested in some of the places they have gone.

You should be proud! Your mom is doing a wonderful thing.

She's making the world a better place. Pats on the back to her.

way to go grandma B!!!!!

it takes a very decent person to get off their butt to help strangers. but it takes someone even more special to give up their comfortable life, putting themselves at risk to do it.

god bless your mom geebs.

Thanks everyone. She has some amazing stories when she gets back from these trips, but the ones that are most striking are about how much these kids and their parents want to be involved and learn and get help. These people who have nothing who come from miles and miles just for the chance to learn a little something. It is not the type of thing you see around these parts all that often, at least not on this scale.

LOL yes momerlyn! that is a feat in itself.

I should take a picture to show you all, her nails are quite long. She can't dial a phone without the aid of a pencil or something :LOL:

GB,
you'd be surprised how fast women learn to work around long nails:LOL: j/k
You have a wonderful mother GB How lucky you are..Mom's sometimes surprise their children..Kids know mom as mom that's it, then all of a sudden old mean mom turns into someone that surprises them...A big brava to your mom..She is one wonderful lady.

kadesma:)

Gb I wish I could give your mom some karma. She's such a wonderful person to be doing what she's doing. I can understand why you're so proud. I would be too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom