How to test a pickle ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jvpele

Assistant Cook
I've been making crock pickles for about 3 years and this is the first time I've had this problem. My brine is crystal clear but has a reddish brown tint :

4 quarts water
1 quart vinegar
3/4 cup salt
fresh or dried dill weed
garlic
1 tsp. pickling spice
dried hot peppers

The only thing I can think of that would cause this, is the peppers. I dry my own ( a combination of Jalapino & Habeniro ), so what I'm asking , is there anyway to tell if their ok to eat, other than to chance eating one. Has anyone had this problem before ?

Chef_Jimmy said:
Is this the exact same ingredients and method you use every time?

I went a little extra on the peppers this time but otherwise it's the way as always

I just looked at the peppers and yes their the color of the brine, just confused that it never happenes before. Guess i'll be brave and try one, what's the worse that could happen ? :sick:

I think they are probably fine.

But why not take a bit (an ounce or so), add some water and some of the pepper mixture and see what the color is?

Should tell you fast if that is the source of the color, and if it is make you feel better about eating the pickles.

Just an idea.

Feed one to the dog, if it dies, i'd throw them out:LOL: J/K

They should be fine, auntdot had a great idea

take a bit (an ounce or so), add some water and some of the pepper mixture and see what the color is?
Great idea auntdot, I'll give that a shot .

Feed one to the dog, if it dies, i'd throw them out:LOL: J/K
:LOL: I like that.

Last summer I canned pickles and used dried red peppers to a batch and there was a tint of brownish red in the brine too. Pickles were fine tho.

Last year I made pickles and in one jar the garlic turned blue-green. I consulted with someone who is a food health expert, and she said it happens, and is related to soil the garlic was grown in. Not to worry- eat it. I did, it was fine.
Now, for your problem... do not feed it to your dog... feed it to your neighbors dog....
I would guess your situation is related to your peppers.

Thank's to all for your input, I ate on last night and I'm still here, guess all is well .

Back
Top Bottom