Plantains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shellygloo

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I bought a plantain, a blacker one, not a green one. What can I do with it?

Thank-you!:wacko:

Whether black or green, so far I've only made them the one way a friend of mine from Puerto Rico showed me.

I peel them, slice them at least an inch thick, saute them in oil on both sides until just golden, remove them to paper towels to drain, give each slice a good whack with the flat side of a knife & return them to the oil to saute on both sides again a bit more. Remove & drain again, sprinkle with salt, & serve.

This was in the march newsletter, but in case you missed it...
It is delicious especially with blackened plantains...

DULCE DE PLATANOS
(Sweet Plantains with Buttered Rum and Coconut Sauce)

-2 very ripe (brown to black) plantains
-60g or 1/2 stick unsalted butter
-30ml or 2tbsp. dark rum
-100ml or 1/2 cup well-shaken canned unsweetened coconut milk
-200g or 1 cup sugar
-60ml or 1/4 cup heavy cream
-Accompaniment (optional): vanilla ice cream

Cut ends from plantains and peel fruit. Diagonally cut plantains into 1/2-inch-thick slices. In a nonstick skillet heat butter over moderate heat until foam subsides and cook plantains until golden, about 3 minutes on each side. With a slotted spatula transfer plantains to a plate, reserving butter in skillet.
In a small saucepan heat rum and coconut milk until warm. Add sugar to reserved butter and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and carefully whisk in warm coconut milk mixture (mixture will vigorously steam and caramel will harden). Cook mixture over low heat, whisking, until caramel is dissolved. Add plantains and cook, without stirring, until heated through and tender, about 5 minutes. In very small saucepan heat cream until warm and pour over plantains. Gently shake skillet to incorporate cream into sauce.
Cool plantains slightly and serve over ice cream

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom