Duck Bonanza!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I received an excited phone call from my S.O. Wednesday. She was in the supermarket and saw fresh duck on sale for $0.49 a pound!

She questioned the meat manager about the price. He told her they were reduced because it was the last day the store could sell them. He said that if she didn't buy them he was taking them home.

She bought two ducks for a total of $5.00! (That's normally $30.00 worth of duck)

Thursday was duck processing day. I skinned and boned the ducks. I froze three of the four boneless duck breast halves for later use and set the forth aside for dinner.

I ended up with over a pound of meat from the legs that I'm saving for duck and tasso jambalaya.

I cooked down the skin and got a bunch of duck fat for later use.

I roasted the bones and made stock with them.

I fried up the livers for lunch.

I pan seared the remaining duck breast for dinner along with bulghar pilaf and a vegetable.

I am ducked out!

y'all done good! but ya didn't fry up the skin for cracklin??

In the Philipines they make duck innerds stew. I've had it...really delicious...mostlky hearts and gizzards, duck blood, hoisin sauce etc. and of course you can grind up the stocked out bones for the garden or air dry them in a dry climate and make wind chimes... ok gettin' carried away, sorry. BUt I really enjoyed hearing what you did...I feel it's how we should use all of the bounty that is available to us.

Robo410 said:
y'all done good! but ya didn't fry up the skin for cracklin??

In the Philipines they make duck innerds stew. I've had it...really delicious...mostlky hearts and gizzards, duck blood, hoisin sauce etc. and of course you can grind up the stocked out bones for the garden or air dry them in a dry climate and make wind chimes... ok gettin' carried away, sorry. BUt I really enjoyed hearing what you did...I feel it's how we should use all of the bounty that is available to us.

Actually, I extracted the fat from the skin and ended up with the cracklins'. I ate one or two and didn't save the rest.

I didn't get gizzards in my ducks. Just hearts and livers. The hearts went into the broth and when that was done, I ate them on the way to the trash.

I learned this way of using everything from my mom. Every chicken that came into the house got this treatment.

" I learned this way of using everything from my mom. Every chicken that came into the house got this treatment."

me too; nothing ever wasted. I find it incredibly satisfying to be able to make use of every bit and know that it has had a purpose.

jennyema said:
I admit that I have never cooked duck!

But I love duck confit ... have you ever made that?

I tasted it for the first time in a restaurant in Quebec. I've made it once.

I think duck is fast becoming my favorite thing to eat. I tend to do breasts rather than whole ducks because SO isn't a fan.

Back
Top Bottom