Let's cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
have a pot of chicken soup going, plan to make some dumplings later, or some biscuits, not sure which. Need to cook some noodels to put in it and I'm set. What are you doing today.

kadesma:)

Mom is babysitting today so we will puck Rach up at their house. She just got home from Mexico so we have not seen her in a while. We are staying for dinner. She is making Puttanesca.

There's a beef stew in my oven slowly simmering for the family, I'm working tonight so I'll eat whatever they feed me tonight. Hope its good!

Leftovers from the party.
No cooking tonight... too much cleaning to do today.

I have chicken soup simmering. We will have it with homemade noodles and a salad. My DH will have some leftover, oven fried chicken, as well.
Easy eating, tonight!!

Turned an ordianry chuck roast into a very tasty meal on the grill last Saturday. We ate less than a third of it. Yesterday, took half of the remaining meat and added it to some good beef broth, both black & white morrel mushrooms, a chopped onion (cooked to the soft stage in the broth before the meat was added), a touch of garlic, and 1/4 tsp. of truffle infused olive oil. Thickened with a cornstarch slurry and placed over penne pasta with basil and EVOO. Served with cottage cheese and finished with sliced strawberries and cantaloupe for desert.

I still have the last third of that very tasty chuck roast to turn into something. I'm thinking about maybe serving it up as open-faced sandwhiches and some smashed spuds. That sound soooo good. Yup, open-faced roast-beef, thinly sliced beef, cooked to medium rare.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Breaded chicken with a mushroom and onion beef gravy, potatoe pancakes, green bean casserole, and peas.

Tonight's Dinner was Orzo with Chicken and Asiago- and spinach and mushroom salad. This recipe is so incredibly easy and FAST!!!

Orzo with Chicken and Asiago
1 cup water
1 (16 oz) can chicken broth
12 oz boneless chicken breast cut in bite size pieces
1 1/4 cup orzo uncooked
1 cup frozen green peas,thawed
1/2 cup (2oz) asiago cheese grated, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Combine water and broth in a dutch oven:bring to a boil. Add chicken and orzo:bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook about 12 minutes,stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients.Makes about 4 servings.
* I have added sauteed mushrooms to this as well as left over bacon that I chopped up. I have used thyme in place of the oregano- there is a million ways to doctor this up .Have fun with it!!!

VickiQ - that is one of my daughter and mine's favorite recipe!

Tonight we had PA Baker's roasted chicken with herb sauce - fantastic - thanks PA! Leftover potatoes, leftover rice, steamed broccoli. Done.

Orange flavored Chicken

I made C.I.'s Orange Flavored Chicken tonight. It is a keeper. LOved the rich orange flavor and it wasn't overly sweet. Chicken had a nice crispy outer coating and stayed crispy even in orange sauce. I served over rice. Husband had two servings and we still had enough to use for his lunch tomorrow. I used chicken tenders and it took about 3 1/2 min. to deep fry instead of the 5 min. in recipe. This recipe will def. be added to rotation. Enjoy! Steph

Orange-Flavored Chicken
5/2005

We prefer the thigh meat for this recipe, though an equal amount of boneless skinless chicken breasts can be used. It is easiest to grate the orange zest and remove the strips of orange peel before juicing the oranges; use a sharp vegetable peeler to remove the strips. For extra spiciness, increase the cayenne added to the sauce to 1/2 teaspoon. The whole dried chiles are added for appearance, not for flavor, and can be omitted. To fry the chicken, use a Dutch oven or a straight-sided sauté pan (with at least 3-quart capacity); do not use a 12-inch skillet with sloped sides, as it will be too small to contain the oil once the chicken is added. White rice and steamed broccoli are good accompaniments.

Serves 4
Marinade and Sauce
1 1/2pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs , trimmed and cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces 3/4cup low-sodium chicken broth 3/4cup orange juice , plus 1 1/2 teaspoons grated zest, and 8 strips orange peel (each about 2 inches long by 1/2 inch wide) from 2 oranges 6tablespoons distilled white vinegar 1/4cup soy sauce 1/2cup packed dark brown sugar (3 1/2 ounces) 3medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon) 1piece fresh ginger (about 1 inch), grated (1 tablespoon) 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper 1tablespoon cornstarch , plus 2 teaspoons 2tablespoons water (cold) 8small whole dried red chiles (optional)
Coating and Frying Medium
3large egg whites 1cup cornstarch 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper 1/2teaspoon baking soda 3cups peanut oil

1. FOR THE MARINADE AND SAUCE: Place chicken in 1-gallon zipper-lock bag; set aside. Combine chicken broth, orange juice, grated zest, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, and cayenne in large saucepan (with at least 3-quart capacity); whisk until sugar is fully dissolved. Measure out 3/4 cup mixture and pour into bag with chicken; make sure that all pieces are coated with marinade. Refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes, but no longer.

2. Bring remaining mixture in saucepan to boil over high heat. In small bowl, stir together cornstarch and cold water; whisk cornstarch mixture into sauce. Simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, until thick and translucent, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in orange peel and chiles (sauce should measure 1 1/2 cups); set sauce aside.

3. FOR THE COATING: Place egg whites in pie plate; beat until frothy. In second pie plate, whisk cornstarch, cayenne, and baking soda until combined. Drain chicken ; thoroughly pat chicken dry with paper towels. Place half of chicken pieces in egg whites and coat; transfer pieces to cornstarch mixture and dredge. Place chicken pieces on wire rack set over baking sheet; repeat with remaining chicken.

4. TO FRY THE CHICKEN: Heat oil in 11- to 12-inch Dutch oven or straight-sided sauté pan with at least 3-quart capacity over high heat until oil registers 350 degrees on instant-read or deep-fry thermometer. Carefully place half of chicken in oil one piece at a time; fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes, turning each piece with tongs halfway through cooking. Drain chicken pcs on plate lined with paper towels. Return oil to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining chicken.

5. TO SERVE: Reheat sauce over medium heat until simmering, about 2 minutes. Add chicken and gently toss until evenly coated and heated through. Serve immediately.

Was off, so did some errands and on the way home, picked up some grass fed NY steaks at the store today. Grilled it and served with a salad of baby arugula, anjou pears, and fuji apples with a maple-balsamic vinaigrette, and a trio of salts for the steak: plain fleur de sel, herbes de provence fleur de sel, and ancho-chipotle-pasilla-cayenne chile salt. I actually overcooked the steaks by about 3 minutes. My GF couldn't get the garage gate to our condo open (batteries were dead in the garage opener) so I had to run out and open the gate for her while the steaks were cooking.

Attachments

• steaks.jpg
    steaks.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 219
  • steak2.jpg
    steak2.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
I made something very tasty and everyone loved it. I cooked some country style pork ribs (just roasted them on the stove) til they were almost done, then poured a vidalia onion marinade over them and finished cooking. They were delicious. We also had fresh green beans and squash casserole and sliced tomatoes. I also made walnut brownies(from a mix) but they were good. I sent most of them home with my grandaughter so we wouldn't be tempted.

last night I made a pot of lentil soup for the fridge/freezer. will start on it tonight. Broth augmented with 2 ham hocks and 1/2# kielbasa ... carrots onion garlic celerey sauteed with bacon, added to the pot. 2 cups chopped tomato (or a can of diced), 2 cups dried red lentils rinsed. (tspn thyme, pinch chili flakes) simmer for a few hours. remove ham hocks and extract meat...remove sausage chunks, slice and pan fry . puree soup with puree stick (one of the great kitchen tools), put meat back in. chill. tonight I will blanche some kale and par boil a few potatoes to add to the soup before I dine on a bowl. I will add some habanero sauce too, along with normal salt and pepper seasonings...then I will portion it in single and double serve containers and freeze. I got 8 good size servings. Total cost for the whole batch (minus the power to cook it)
maybe $7. Less than a buck a bowl. It could be made more cheaply by omiting the meats parts and substituting curry spices. Also so good!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom