Which spices should I add to Pork and Cream of Mushroom Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanwingen

Cook
My family loves pork chops (loin) with cream of mushroom soup cooked over top. :pig:
However, I feel as if something is missing from the recipe !!!!!!!!! :ohmy:
I'm thinking a spice or spices could add more flavor and give some real life to this recipe. I would greatly appreciate any ideas on how to spice of a pork loin that also compliments the cream of mushroom soup. Any suggestions on spices would be greatly helpfull !!!! thanks !!!!

PS- I use only kosher salt and black pepper at this time.:chef:

you will get many answers which means you can try many ways and keep the ones you like best. I would try adding several dashes of worcestershire sauce, and maybe a dash or two of hot sauce.

You might also want to go with green herbs like thyme and parsley.

A third way might be paprika (a tablspn) and cayenne pepper (it's hot so add a pinch or two)

THese are just a few easy ideas to perk up the taste. I'm sure there are lots more out there.

I usually season my my pork chops or roast with packaged dry onion soup mix before I add the soup. I've also used Good Seasons Italian dressing mix or Tone's herb/garlic seasoning. Of course, you could always use your own spice mix. Rosemary, parsley, thyme, salt & black pepper make a good combination for pork. Sage is good with pork, too.

When I do the 'cream of mushroom' pork, I first brown off a LOT of onion slices, then remove them, and brown the chops. I then add about 1/2 cup of white wine to the pan, let that deglaze, add the onions back, along with most of the herbs listed above, the CM soup, cover and simmer til done. Sometimes I throw in a can of mushrooms if I've got 'em.

Garlic and fennel are also great additions to simmered/braised pork.

Have never made the CM chops, but they sound great.

So am playing by the seat of my pants here.

I like the suggestions above.

Thought about a little bit of dried Coleman's mustard, make a slurry with wine or vinegar or water, just a tad, to give a bit of zest. It has to be below the palate radar screen but I think it might work.

Just an idea.

Well, in addition to some onion and garlic - some sage, rosemary, or bay leaf added to the mushroom soup that the chops will simmer in should add a little more flavor than just salt & pepper.

My addition to the august group of members who have already posted is that technique is important with this. Add small amounts of whatever herbs/spices/flavorings you intend to use. Let the whole sauce cook a bit (about ten minutes), then taste. If you need more of something, add a bit more. That way, you won't accidently overpower the dish with unwanted flavor.

Also, by flavoring the mushroom soup first, if you don't like the flavor you end up with, you don't have to put it on the chops and ruin the whole meal. After all, you can always throw the chops into a bag of some coating mix and bake.

I would think the most complimentary flavors for pork have already been mentioned, i.e. sage, thyme, savory, rosemary, onion, and garlic. But don't forget lemon-pepper, fennel, oregano, and sweet basil.

A combination of oregano, basil, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, and onion, together with the mushroom soup, will surprize you. It is really pretty good. And you can even throw a good muenster or cheddar cheese into the mix.

Another great seasoning for your pork chop/soup dish is to add just the soup to cover the chops, and then top with your favorite pre-made stuffing mix.

It's all good.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

In addition to whatever spices you decide to use (I use onions and garlic when I use mushroom soup this way, and I add mushrooms), something else that will change the flavor is to add some sour cream. Sometimes I use sour cream, and sometimes I don't. It makes a big difference.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom