Grilled Chicken Mole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

240brickman

Senior Cook
Hi guys & dolls!

Sorry I've been a little out-of-touch lately...things are good, and I'm busier than ever!

Here's a little something that I came up with after finding several jars of green mole sauce for 50 cents apiece at my local supermarket (the brand had been replaced with a different brand, so they'd marked-down the stuff, to get rid of it!)

BTW, it's a bit time-consuming, but it can VERY easily be done over the course of several days, if you like.

Grilled Chicken Mole

The Mole Sauce:
1 14.5-ounce can reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup green mole paste (available in the ethnic foods section)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 ounce unsweetened (baking) chocolate (1/2 block)
2 Tablespoons beer (doesn't have to be exact)
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley "rubbed" almost into powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, to taste
In a saucepan, heat the broth until nearly boiling. Add the mole paste, and begin whisking; it will take some time for the paste to dissolve. While the broth bubbles, shave the 1/2 ounce of chocolate, so it will melt evenly.
When the paste has dissolved into the broth, add the chocolate to the saucepan; whisk until the chocolate has melted and mixed in thoroughly.
Add the garlic, beer, and remaining ingredients. Allow the mixture to return to a gentle boil (it will be fairly thick), the remove the pan from heat. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid, and allow it to cool for about 20-30 minutes (the sauce will form a "skin" if a cover is not used). When cooled, transfer the sauce to a small container with a tight-fitting lid. If stored in the refrigerator, it should last about 600 years.
The Chicken:
1 4-to-5 pound chicken, cut up*
1 medium-sized onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
about 8-12 ounces water, cooled black coffee, or beer (or a combination of all 3, if desired)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
a few dashes (about 1/4 teaspoon) liquid smoke
Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
Use one of those cellophane "baking bags", which has been laid out into a roasting pan. Place the chicken, onion, garlic, salt, and liquid smoke into the bag. Try to arrange the chicken pieces into a single layer in the pan. Add enough water (coffee, beer, whatever) to the bag to cover the chicken a little less than half-way. Using the zip-tie provided with the baking bag, tie the bag shut. Use a toothpick to poke a few holes in the top of the bag, so it won't explode.
(alternately, this may be done using regular aluminum foil instead of the bag; use a double layer of foil, and be sure to seal it well to trap the moisture and heat. This method makes an awful mess)
Place the roasting pan into the oven, and forget about it for about 3 hours.
After 3 to 3 1/2 hours, the chicken will be fully cooked; it just won't look very appealing. At this point, the recipe may be "halted", and the chicken may be refrigerated (or frozen) for later use.
When you're ready to grill: put about 1/2 cup of the prepared mole sauce into a bowl. Add 1/4 cup of your favorite liquid, to thin it somewhat (I have tried this with beer, water, broth, and coffee. I still haven't tried straight bourbon, but if you do try that, let me know how it turns out!)
Prepare your grill surface by squirting it thoroughly with non-stick spray. Heat your grill, to medium-high. Brush the skin-side of the chicken pieces with the mole sauce (be generous!). Put the chicken on the grill, skin-side down, and liberally brush the "up" side with the mole sauce.
After about 5 minutes, carefully flip the chicken pieces (this sauce is notorious for sticking, so you might want to use a metal spatula AND a pair of tongs). Cook on "side B" for an additional 4 to 5 minutes (check after 3 minutes, to prevent burning).
*instead of a whole chicken, I have also used nothing but drumsticks, with excellent results.

hope you'll try it (and like it!)

--J

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom