Questions for chicken+lemon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rozal

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I am a newbie cooker. I wondered somethings....Can you eat chicken raw if it is soaked lemon for some time?

I am marinading my chicken so I can cook it tomorrow, the souce does include alot of lemon juice....how long should it stay in the marinade sauce?

Never, never eat raw chicken!!

Usually a few hours in the marinade..I have left mine overnight though. Some one else will jump in at any time and will have some good advice.

Oh boy Rozal, I don't think anyone should eat raw chicken...Marinate it then grill, broil or bake it. Safer and I'd think much tastier. I usually marinate at least several hours and sometimes overnight. When using lemon I also add a little olive oil to the marinade, as well as some pepper and a little garlic and onion even some brown sugar.. Hope your chicken turns out as you'd like it.

kadesma:)

You absolutely cannot eat that chicken until it is cooked to a minimum temperature of 161 F.

Marinating in lemon or anything else does not remove the danger of eating raw chicken.

If you're thinking of ceviche where the acidic marinade "cooks" the food, forget it. The acidic marinade denatures the protein so it looks like it's been cooked but is has not. However, since heat has not been applied, bacteria present will not be killed and can make you very ill.

A lemon marinade for chicken will do the trick in a couple of hours.

My chicken isn't pink anymore....it is white...is this normal?

Yes that is normal. The acid in the lemon will make the chicken look white even before it is cooked. Like the others said though, and we can't stress this enough, make sure it is cooked to at least 160F before you even consider putting it in your mouth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom