Is lamb shoulder chop a tender cut?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i have a lamb shoulder chop. is that a tender cut? i was gonna braise it. or ought i sear it & cook it like a steak?
i'd appreciate advice on this! thanks!:)

lamb shoulder is a tougher cut of meat...often used for braises and stews...has great flavor. It is not unchewable, but is certainly not butter tender like the loin chop or "rack". As they are inexpensive (and often come with a nice little marrow bone) I buy em as I fins em and make a pub stew with veggies and barley, or a garlic and wine braise in a saute pan.

You can grill or broil it. Mom used to always buy the shoulder chops as they are less expensive. She also used it in a stewed lamb and string bean dish that required long cooking. It is a tasty cut of meat.

thanks! i may try my foreman grill to cook it- hafta thaw it out-. i may get another to try both cooking methods. i'm so used to my racks of lamb & thier tenderness. these other chops sound kinda flavorful.

For Easter we had very large lamb shanks.

Were they from lamb? OK, maybe very old lamb, lamb on Social Security, lamb who required knee replacements perhaps.

But we like the taste of mutton and these were very tasty.

We braised them, yummm.

Would take your shoulder chop and make it like an osso bucco.

If you only have one can do it in a pan on top of the stove.

Braise it, with a touch of tomato sauce, and serve with rice, perhaps.

Or pasta.

Right now the idea of braising with some tomato sauce and the usual osso bucco ingredients and serving with a bit of pasta sounds very good.

Just an idea. Must be hungry.

Take care.

it makes decent grind, but like others have mentioned it's a great slow cook cut. navarin with a nice creamy polenta...makes my day.

I buy lamb shoulder chops all the time & either cut them into bite-sized pieces & make a quick Indian curry out of them, or I marinate them & pan-grill them like a beef steak.

I usually make them when everyone is gone, I just heat a cast iron skillet, salt the bottom put in the chop and sprinkle with garlic powder on both sides..Sounds awful but I love it just me a chop and a green salad YUM

kadesma:LOL:

auntdot said:
For Easter we had very large lamb shanks.

Were they from lamb? OK, maybe very old lamb, lamb on Social Security, lamb who required knee replacements perhaps
quote]

auntdot,:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

kadesma said:
I usually make them when everyone is gone, I just heat a cast iron skillet, salt the bottom put in the chop and sprinkle with garlic powder on both sides..Sounds awful but I love it just me a chop and a green salad YUM

kadesma:LOL:
Doesn't sound awful to me. Complicated isn't always better!

:) Barbara

Barbara L said:
Doesn't sound awful to me. Complicated isn't always better!

:) Barbara
How true, I love lamb and like the taste, I don't need a lot of goop on it, as is , is fine.:LOL:
kadesma

Me too, I like things to taste of what they are. Shoulder chops I like to slow cook, and eat the next day, or crumb and pan fry with just a wisp of oil. The crumb tenderises them, I don't know why.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom