New Peanut Head... but not a Noob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CasperImproved

Sous Chef
I love this site for the variety of things I can search on, and for the warm community that exists here... no over-the-top chefs here that I noticed... just good people.

I work very long hours (IT related), but my un-wind is food. I also do not have a lot to contribute as most of my time is spent working (so I will have been usually late to an idea request). I normally have 10 ~ 20 minutes time to "serf" the web between conf calls, document reviews, and project support. But generally work between 7am ~ 7pm weekdays, and am call (via pager 7 days a week)....

I did want to say that I appreciate the "large" group of you that post almost daily, as I will eventually attempt adding your ideas into my cooking. I'm one of those that do not measure, but I very much use ideas from folks like you for my cooking experience.

Unfortunately, my family are all fast food grazers, and hard to cook for (so I usually cook just for me, or for my spouse which limits the ingredients). So, it is strictly a personal pleasure that I visit this site. I will say, that I do appreciate the gang of folks (especially the European contingent as I spent 5 yrs in Europe, and "loved" the food from all over).

To close, I don't have much time to contribute, but I certainly appreciate all of your inputs for good food prep/cooking.

Over the last few days, I have been going through the last two years of the threads... and can say I can see a pattern of good attendees: Godweed, Constance, Elf, PA, Raine, PA, Barbara, Marm, Sierra, Sarah, .etc (I know I left a bunch off), but wanted to say thanks for your adds to this site's efforts. I do appreciate what I've had time to read.

Hopefully, I will have time in the future to add some input :)

Regards,

Casper

Last edited:
Welcome Kasper,
drop in when ever you can the door is always open:) We love having new faces join us.

kadesma:)

OH,oh...........CasperImproved, to the woodshed. Dove is also DC's disciplinarian. All in good fun...........Wasabi

You've already added so much to our site, with your well-written intro! Love the kitty avatar too. Welcome Casper. You are now a member of a huge family that has daily reunions.

Howdy Casper!

Welcome to the group! Don't worry about how much you post, just chime in whenever you get a chance!

Love the avatar, too! Looks a bit like tripod, the three legged cat my uncle used to have.

John

Thanks John... and JKATH, you made my list, but I can only type so much :). GP.. I don't know how I left you off the original list (you be quiet but all powerful). Wasabi - I'd love to have Dove as my Mawmaw... Anyone with her experience I automatically love. BTW, I also need disciplined.... I come from a split home when young... Mom worked like 18 hour days, and I've had three step dads.... so confused :) Seriously though, I cooked my first hamburger when I was 8 yrs old (and no one was home) and also accounts for the lack of measurement even today. Kadesma - You are obviously a sweet person (HI). SizIN and others are on my "I like list" just can't type everyone since I went back two years in my review... but I did mention I didn't see an "over-the-top" kind of chef here... and that is important. While not intimidated by those types, they do tend to sour the family effect.

Thanks for you guys being just the way you are... I will read as many posts as I can, contribute where it makes sense, and cut&paste where a likely taste sensation exists...

Again... thanks for a pretty nice "family" forum... not enough of those out here in Cyber-Space that are not too far right or left.

I don't know how much I will post, but will love to camp here since I see you are *all* a family. I can appreciate that.

As for food loves.... I prefer Beef (roasts, steaks, burgers, etc... med. rare (even in Chili). Love whatever is in season veg/fruit wise.... And some ideas for things that are International just make my day. For example... I would have never have considered sliced boiled eggs on a pizza until it arrived on my table in Germany (and was *excellant* with the pizza sauce as a contrast). Just have a hard time making a menu when the Wife and Son (soon to move out at 21, and the older (23 moved out 1.5 yrs ago) prefer fast food, and no deviations from generic tastes.... Me... I like to experiment, like the hot, like the grill, like sauces, like European food, Like ..... too many things to be concise.

But I did want to say thanks for the welcome.... and for Dove.. I am old enough to have been switched from a Pear tree (from climbing to the top (65') and being caught by Mom :) And not only do I know what a “woodshed” is… I not what a privy is ;-)

I have 3 Siamese cats with all three different personalities (my wife’s expensive love), and two pound dogs (my idea)... smart, but puppy like, and as family members need supervision. Heck… the younger one (2yrs old) still needs to be leash walked as he still thinks he is a puppy and must chase even a wind blown leaf.

Thanks,

Casper

htc - Thanks... and while I've seen some of your posts, am always looking for more recipes that are pioneer related. I don't want to hang a sign around your neck, but Oregon is a great place for early american recipes... :-; Thanks for the welcome. BTW, I love historic old cook books... most stuff may not be good to cook today, but they are certainly cool to read. Almost like being there until you realize they cooked things we would not consider food now :)

Casper

Mudbug - You of course would be on my long list of valuable contributors to this site... and thanks.

A couple of sites that are not new in my mind in scope.:

http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/recipes.html
http://www.cbel.com/european_recipes/ (European Links)

I have a bunch more... including historic ones.... but having a hard time doing a "quick" search in my links. I do have a link or two that are PDF type links where someone took the time to scan the old recipes. I also love to read the stuff related to recipes I personally would not make for myself... but love to read about.

PS> I wanted to find the specific link that was very old recipes... but did not have the time... Doing office work even on the week-end.

I will look for the PDF sites in my URLs, and you *will* like them given the list of ingredients, and how they are processed. I don't think anyone outside of the "truely" hillbilly community would even consider eating.

Anywho, the pioneer stuff is pretty cool. What to do with limited (what's available) stuff always was a fasination for me.

Casper

But you guys are in my thoughts... :D

Back
Top Bottom