GA - Atlanta ... I need the ultimate dining experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poppinfresh

Senior Cook
It's taken me 3 years, but I figure it's about time to give the Lady the first of her two rings so she's not carrying extra weight on her right hand, upsetting her balance :P.

Going to be in Atlanta from the 5th until the 24th of next month, and at some point during that time...well, ya know...

So...I need a special type of place. While I generally won't pay 600 dollars for a meal for two (plus cost of wine), money isn't really too much of an object here. Have no quarrels with doling out a couple hundred bucks for some really great ambience/surrounding beauty/etc. If anyone knows of a restaurant that also has some sort of special protocol in place/little ideas they've come up with for people that ask for them/chef that has something special he can do for happenings such as this, even better.

Anyone know of a place like that in Humidity City? Nice places sitting on top of a skyscraper downtown? Great skyline views? Away from the main city but absolutely sparkling in ambience? We're mostly going to be ferrying between Alpharetta and Duluth during this excursion but detours aren't an issue.

Suggestions much appreciated.

Last edited:
I know nothing of Atlanta, but I am impressed with the way you started this thread.
I'm bumping this up, in case any of our southerners missed it the first time around.

I just saw Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels on Atlanta. She went to this place called Joel and it looked quite nice. I looked at the website and the menus look appetizing.

Anyway, hopefully someone else will have more input than me as I've never actually been to that restaurant, but it did look quite good.

Here is the website: http://www.joelrestaurant.com/index.htm

It's been awhile since I've been to Atlanta but there's a great steak place called Bones - EXCELLENT!!!! The best lobster tail I've ever had - it weighed a petite 4 lbs.

Don't forget the Sun Dial restaurant - it revolves and has a spectacular view and would be a great place to create this memory! It's on Peachtree atop a hotel

Pacific Rim is a great place for sushi - downtown

The Carriage House is excellent.

Pano's and Paul's is also extremely excellent.

The problem is there are so many good restaurants in Atlanta. You will hear both good things and bad things about all the ones I've listed - all I can tell you is I've been to them - they were all excellent. But I feel the "memory" will be best created at The Sun Dial. At least drinks after should be had there!!!!!!!

I just checked out the menu at Joel's - WOW - now that looks great!!!!!!! You still have to go to the Sun Dial for drinks! :cool: Maybe go for pre-dinner drinks and the big question!!!

edited to add - I just read some very mixed reviews about the food at the Sun Dial - but NOT mixed reviews about how romantic it was :)

Last edited:
Atlanta restaurants!

There are so many. The ones listed are excellent. 2 more to consider are the Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton(the 1 across the street from Phipps Plaza...there are 2, and both are on peachtree road) and Nicholai's Roof. Also, I always enjoy Canoe. What is nice about C. is that it is on the river and you can take a little stroll along a path that has lovely landscaping and evening lighting...hint hint. Another one is in Marietta. The 1868 House. Originally the Planter's peanut plantation. Lovely to begin w/ cocktails on the front porch in rocking chairs and end w/ coffee in the library! I guess that's 4 more to think about. Your Consierge can also make suggestions.

PS Taking a cell phone may encourage each of you to be on it most of the night, instead of focusing on the 2 most important people in the world! My wordy way of saying "Leave the cell in the hotel" You'll have time to gush later.

I've been married for a long time and my husband is still a darling. Yesterday, he went on an errand and brought home a surprise for me, which tickled me pink.

Because of the way you wrote your message, I know that you will be married for a long time, also. So let me offer you my congratulations and best wishes!

C is for confusion?

"C." referred to Canoe in the previous sentence.

My husband got into this and added his thoughts...Seegers. P.S. Could be spelled differently.

Water. Ambience. I think I have a winner (though I'm somewhat leery about being outside for more than 2 minutes in that Georgia humidity...I'm from the high desert). Much thanks. Woulda passed if it was just called "C" :P. Anytime a chef gets that artsy...no.

Have not been to Atlanta for many years, but one of our memorable meals was at the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead.

Know they have changed the chef since we were there, but the menu looks very good.

Have only had one disappointing meal in a Ritz Carlton hotel restaurant, and that was in Boston. Unfortunately it was a special occasion and it was truly dismal, the place really let us down.

But there are a whole lot of folks here with more recent knowledge of Atlanta restaurants.

But I doubt you can go wrong at the Ritz Carlton.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom