Birthday time! Need to outfit the kitchen...ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silver

Senior Cook
So, with my birthday coming, aside from a couple of non-kitchen pieces (laser rangefinder for golf and new mtb shoes), I'm thinking it's time to update some of the kitchen goods (as a baker/avid cook wannabe) -- some things that I'm certain that I'd like:

- Food processor, thinking of the Oster 10 cup at Costco because the price is good and it looks alright

- New cookware - got a nice set of Lagostina pots for Christmas, but could sure use some new pans, preferably ones that aren't flaking on the bottom and leaking teflon into my food :LOL: (any recommendations? Costco usually has some good deals...I'm thinking steel handled so they can go in the oven)

- One good quality chef's knife, although that might wait until Xmas

- Various kitchen gadgetries, including but not limited to:
Silicone oven mitt/pad/baking liner (possibly)/muffin tray
Silicone covered whisk (despite that I always see the cooks on TV using metal tools in their cookware??) and silicone tipped tongs
Silicone spatulas/flippers
BBQ fork that has a flashlight and silicone heat protector that I saw today
S/S measuring cups and measuring spoons
New timer (gf dropped the last one)
Meat thermometer (what's better? the kind you leave in the meat or the kind you stick in only when you need to? or those remote ones? - so many options!)

The door is open for more ideas? I have pretty much at least one of everything in my kitchen, or so it seems...but there's always room for more :D I would seriously like to get rid of some of the crap that I've got and replenish with good quality stuff...I have tons of crappy knives, but wouldn't mind a good quality proper set.

So many wants, not so many needs...

You could always drop a hint that you'd love a gift certificate to Williams Sonoma! (PS - Happy early Birthday!)

As for recommendations, I recently got many pieces from Calphalon's Stainless Steel Collection. I'm unbelievably happy with them and never want to use the old non-sticks again!

My local Costco has a big set of Wolfgang Puck stainless cookware. Others on this site have given it good reviews. It's stainless with metal handles and disks on the bottom.

Plain stainless is not a good heat conductor and heats unevenly, causing hot spots in the pan.

The disks are a sandwich of aluminum or copper between two layers of stainlesss. This serves to distrubute heat evenly and prevent burning and hot spots.

Disk bottom pans are one option and try-ply stainless is the other. Tri-ply is the entire pan material rather than just in a disk on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom