Your local food products

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know if you can call lutefisk (sp?) a delicacy. If you ask me, it is only good if you eat something poisoned and you need syrup of ipecac and there isn’t any available. :ROFLMAO:

I agree their stuff is pretty good for off-the-shelf, except for those little chocolate donuts that seem to be covered in wax.

Also with you on bringing something the giftee likes rather than what you like. I'll send you my list.

CharlieD said:
I don't know if you can call lutefisk (sp?) a delicacy. If you ask me, it is only good if you eat something poisoned and you need syrup of ipecac and there isn’t any available. :ROFLMAO:

:LOL: No argument here, Charlie. But regarding local foods - the one time I visited your beautiful state I noticed loads of places selling native wild rice. Is that just a tourist come-on?

Mudbug, my wife loves wild rise. Me, I hate it. It is wild all right, but it ain't no rice. Brrrr...

vyapti said:
I just from a poe dink town. I now have access to several asian markets, ethnic delis and a couple fresh seafood markets (we live about an hour from the ocean). My favorite new additions are pancetta, reasonably priced soba noodles and all the cheeses.

I do miss the fresh produce I had access to, living in a rural area, especially asparagus and apples. An apple picked from the tree and one bought in a store are not even comparable.

For those of you in California, Have you had fresh picked avocado? How does it compare to store bought.

Oregon has some great products as well.

Wine (Pinot Noir, Riesling, Chardonnay)
Beer (Rogue, Widmeir Brothers, Deshutz, Full Sail)
Tillamook Cheese
Truffles
Mushrooms
Laughing Stock Pork
Yaquina Bay Oysters
Ponderosa Ranch Prime Beef or Buffalo

I also agree with JKath about the Haas avocados being the best.

I can get Widmer Bros just about anywhere and, in the summer, I keep it stocked up. They make some great commercials too.

I don't know if you come in MIlano. but, if so......
Sausages (luganega) in north area
Wines (Barbera) in the South area
And, obviously, absolutely, definitely and all the "ly" you know.....

PANETTONE!!!
Typical from Milano, the smallest big city in the world....
(Sorry, but I love my town...:LOL: :LOL: )

Attachments

• panettone.gif
    panettone.gif
    31.1 KB · Views: 74
RDG, they sell panettone here at Christmas time. I will have to look carefully to see if I can find one made in Milano to know that I am getting the right one!

mudbug said:
RDG, they sell panettone here at Christmas time. I will have to look carefully to see if I can find one made in Milano to know that I am getting the right one!
Really you can find it???? I was sure not.....
You will probably find two types: one low (as the picture) and one higher. The real correct one is the low one, but also the others are good the same.....:LOL: . If you have one just a bit too old and dry, grill a slice, add some Grand Marnier and cover with ....how do you call "crema pasticcera"? The yellow cream of eggs....:chef: Sluuurp....:LOL:

I do not know about crema pasticcera, but I do know about Grand Marnier. That is HH's (mi esposa, is that correct in Italian?) favorite liquer. I think the last one I saw at Christmastime was made in Brazil, but that cannot be the authentic version.

Crema pasticcera...may it be "custard"? Sorry.....:blush:
and...."esposa" is spanish:D : in italian, "sposa" or "moglie" :D .
The original Gran Marnier is by France.

ironchef said:
RDG, you can find imported panettone in virtually every Italian market during the holiday season in the USA these days. Whether or not they are all from Milano I do not know.
TY, Ironchef, I hadn't thought to Italian markets, and, in every way, I was sure that it was diffused only in Europe. I don't know why......

RDG, grazie for the Italian language lesson.

If you ever travel to the U.S. you would soon find that there are many, many lovers of Italian cuisine and many shops that try to cater to those tastes. But alas, we are sometimes only poor imitators of the "real" thing. This does not mean that the dishes created here are poorly conceived - just not the same as you enjoy.

I am from Rhode Island but now living in Utah for a while but in Rhode Island we have coffee syrup. It has 15% less caffine than coffee and we just mix the syrup with milk. I used to like to make a vanailla ice cream, milk and coffee syrup shake all of the time. Also we had coffee ice cream but I don't know if that is just from RI but I havn't found any in Utah yet.

From what I've heard, Utah is the Jello capital of the world, although I've never understood why.

jkath said:
What exactly is a Clootie dumpling? Such a cute name for food!

It's a sort of cake (dumpling) boiled in a muslin cloth (cloot in Auld Scots) hence, clootie dumpling!

katluvscake said:
I am from Rhode Island but now living in Utah for a while but in Rhode Island we have coffee syrup. It has 15% less caffine than coffee and we just mix the syrup with milk. I used to like to make a vanailla ice cream, milk and coffee syrup shake all of the time. Also we had coffee ice cream but I don't know if that is just from RI but I havn't found any in Utah yet.
Kat! My mother in law & her sis came out here from RI, and say that's the one thing they miss!

RDG: Here's my favorite Italian market: http://www.claros.com/
They have 6 shops, fortunately 1 is quite close to me:)
I love going there and buying cheeses (42 varieties!), and various italian goodies. My husband worked there when he was a teenager. Apparently they hired him for his Italian last name.

Back
Top Bottom