Marinated roast leg of lamb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Marinated roast leg of lamb
The lamb needs to be marinated for at least 8 hours but you can prepare it a day ahead and leave it in the fridge for 24 hours.

2kg leg of lamb (bone in)
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Generous pinch of saffron
Pinch of sugar
Juice of 4 lemons
4 tbsp natural Greek yogurt
2 onions, roughly grated
2cm length fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp olive oil

Find a non-corrodible dish large enough to fit the lamb comfortably. Stab the lamb all over with a small sharp knife, then rub with salt and place in the dish.

Put the saffron in a bowl, add the sugar and grind the saffron to a powder with the back of a teaspoon. Add 1 tbsp hot water and set aside. Mix together the lemon juice, yogurt, grated onions and ginger. Mix in the saffron liquid, some black pepper and the cayenne. Pour over the lamb, coating it well. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.

Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Transfer the lamb to a small roasting pan, spoon over the marinade and cover with foil. Place in the centre of the oven and roast for 1 and a half hours, basting every 30 minutes or so. If, at this stage, you find the marinade has burnt on the base of the roasting pan, transfer the meat to another roasting pan. Either way, remove the foil, drizzle over the olive oil and roast for a further 45 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Allow the lamb to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes, then carve and serve with the pan juices, and seasonal vegetables.

Dredging up this older post to ask a quick question. I was looking around for a leg of lamb recipe and saw this. Sounds wonderful!! Just a quick question about the yogurt... is it plain, full-fat yogurt... the kind with cream on top that the Turks use to make Ayran? The reason I ask is because it's easy to get Ayran in the stores here, so I was thinking of just using that. It's thinner, though. I want to try this over the weekend. Thanks!!

The greek yoghurt is a thick, creamy one. I am sure that Muller make a similar yoghurt (or at least I've seen they do a plain yoghurt on sale in UK supermarkets). you need it to be creamy for this recipe.

That's what I was thinking. Thank you so much. Will probably try it this weekend and let you know how it turns out. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom