Mexican Wedding Cookies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If they are Mexican, they've been in our country for many years. My grandmother made them when I was a wee girl.

No I would say not. They are also called Russian tea cakes. Neither Russia or Mexico grow pecans to my knowledge. Google a Mexican dessert.

I think you're right, Swann. They are also called Swedish tea cakes, I believe.

Maybe I can talk her into some sopaipillas.............

Mudbug, yes, there is a version of 'wedding' cookie that is Mexican; but I think the recipe probably originated using almonds instead of pecans or walnuts. It's just one of those universal mixtures of butter, sugar, flour that can't be beat!

To make them more 'Mexican', why don't you add some mini-chocolate chips and cinnamon to the dough? I'll bet the kids would love them!

Everywhere I looked, even adding the word "authentic" to my Google search, I came up with similar recipes for "Mexican Wedding CAKES".

Here's one that supports marmalady's speculation and suggestion in the post above: http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=28616 Sounds like a wonderful twist on the Russian Tea Cakes I've always made!

Maybe because pecans weren't indigenous to Russia, Mexico, Sweden, etc. is the reason why these cookies were made specially for weddings and holidays.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom