Lumpia Recipes anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyMist

Sous Chef
Not sure where this will fit in....if somebody wants to move it, then I will find out. :)

Does anybody have a TNT recipe for any type of Lumpia? I have searched online and found some, but am looking for something special. My niece's fiancee's mother is from the Philippines and she made some for my niece's bridal shower. Afraid they were almost burned and had no flavor at all. I would like to try some different types because I think if not overcooked they would be delicious. Also, do you typically serve them with a dipping sauce? I thought that people from the Philippines liked spicy food? This had absolutely no heat to it at all. I am making sure that nobody tells Mike's mother know that I am testing out Lumpia recipes as I do not want to hurt her feelings, I am just curious and want to try some with a little flavor to them.

urmaniac13 said:
Hi Icy, I also wondered about lumpia some time ago and Chopstix, who is from the "lumpia part of the world", responded me with a very nice explanation on how they are done. Not an exact recipe but hopefully it will give you some good ideas!!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/food-in-your-daily-way-of-life-19625-2.html?highlight=lumpia

TY very much for that thread. I found it interesting and now I think I will have to do some surfing to find recipes that appeal to my tastes. :) Have you found a lumpia recipe that you have tried yet?

No I haven't tried it yet but I would like to... if I could find a recipe that can be trusted on. Like you I noticed (not just for lumpia but many other recipes too) you can find a lot of recipes which are dubious in one way or another on the internet. I was also wondering if fillo dough can be substituted as the wrapper. Lets hope someone can post a great recipe for us... (chopstix??? where r u??)

This is a recipe from my late FIL; he grew up on Sumatra. This recipe makes a small amount but you can increase it! Phyllo will not work.
Loempia ( Egg Rolls)
4 egg roll skins ( may need more)
6 oz. finely chopped pork
4 oz. shrimp ( tiny or broken in can)
1/2 c. finely chopped chicken
1/2 c. finely chopped ham
1 tbs. chopped green onion
1 minced garlic clove
1 tbs. choped celery
4 oz. finely chopped Chinese (Napa) cabbage
4 oz. chopped water chestnuts
1/4 tsp. soy sauce
6 oz. chopped bean sprouts
Fry all meats together until light brown. Add all other ingredients except bean sprouts. Cook for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add bean sprouts. Thicken with cornstarch if necessary. Put one full tablespoon of mixture on egg roll skin. Roll up and seal with beaten egg yolk. Repeat until mixture is all used. Fry in very hot oil until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels and serve with spicy brown mustard. You may use ground pork and can omit ham and chicken if wanted. We like to use salsa, Ranch dressing or sweet-n-sour sauce for dipping too. Hope y'all enjoy this recipe!! This recipe is a Dutch-Indonesian one!

Lumpia is nothing but a version of a spring roll. It is fried just like a Chinese spring roll is. If you did not like the version you tried, make it using what you like and it will still turn out good. I believe the word was coined by the Phillipines and popularized there for what was originally Chinese but ofcourse adapted to suit their cuisine.

I buy Spring Roll wrappers that clearly say for Spring Rolls and Lumpia. The skin is extra thin so that they fry up nice and crunchy.

The authentic version uses minced pork mixed with garlic, green onions, carrots, cabbage, soy sauce, salt and black pepper mixed together.

I don't eat Pork of any kind and normally make my version with lots of pre-cooked shredded chicken along with matchstick style carrots, green onions, little cabbage, chilli sauce, fresh grated ginger and minced garlic. I also add bean sprouts like Shunka along with chilli sauce, soy sauce and a touch of sesame oil. If I am in mood, I pour boiling water over rice noodles and let them soften, cut it up and stir that as well with the chicken mixture and stuff the wrapper with that and fry them.

Shunka's recipe looks very good too.

Now that is a recipe I am already drooling over Shunka, thank you very much. It sounds from what everybody is writing, this is one of those dishes that you can toss just about anything in it. Sounds yummy and I thank you all for your responses. I will let you know how they turn out.......after the reception and I have calmed down enough to tackle a new recipe. :)

You can use whatever meat (no meat) and other veggies you want to use in these. Play around with the seasoning and sauces. My bunch prefers a pork/shrimp combo; have even used ground beef. Thank all of you for the kind words on the recipe. :) Here is another recipe that I follow kind of.
  • 1 lb. finely chopped pork, can use ground pork
  • 1/2 c.shredded carrots
  • 1/2 of a medium onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves chopped garlic
  • 1 lb. shrimp, can use canned small broken shrimp
  • 1/2 c. shredded cabbage, regular or Napa
  • 1/2 c. chopped waterchestnuts
  • 1/4chopped green onions
  • 4-6 Tbs. soy sauce
  • 2-3 Tbs.sesame seed oil
  • 2-3 Tbs.Chinese rice wine or chicken broth
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 to 1 c.bean sprouts, chopped
  • 1-2 Tbs. cornstarch
  • egg roll wrappers
  • 1 egg, separated
  • a good peanut or canola oil
Cook pork in a couple Tbs. of oil until no longer pink. Add garlic, carrots and chopped onion. Cook for about 3 minutes and add the shrimp and the next 7 ingredients. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add cornstarch and the egg white and stir well. Take off of heat and let cool. To make the egg rolls;place an egg roll wrapper with a point toward you. Place about 2 Tbs. of filling about 1/3 of the way from the point closet to you. Fold the point over the filling and then the 2 side points in. Roll toward the top point after you have spread a thin layer of egg yolk on it to seal. Fry in very hot oil, about 400 degrees, until golden. Only fry a few at a time so as not to lower the temp of the oil too much. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
You can add more or less of these veggies to your taste.

Last edited:
The only caution I would advise with lumpia is that the skins are thinner and more delicate than are egg-roll skins. For this reason, I stay away from cabbage as a filler ingredient. It tends to make the finished product limp and soggy.

Here are the ingredients I use in mine. The flavors belnd very nicely. Again, as was said up above, you can taylor the veggies and meats to your own tastes.

Ingredients:
2 Lumpia skins per person
1/4 cup. Chopped Water Chestnuts
1/4 cup Chopped bamboo shoots
1/2 cup diced Onion pieces
1/2 cup sliced Bock Choy
1/2 cup sliced Celery
1 cup saute'd diced Chicken, Pork, Srimp, or scallops
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. red-pepper flakes (optional)
3 cloves minced Garlic
1 dash of Chinesse 5-Spice Powder
2 cups Bean Sprouts
Cooking oil

Stir-fry each of the ingredients in a small amount of cooking oil. Combine them in a large bowl. Fill the lumpia skins and roll, as you would spring rolls, or egg rolls. Pan fry in 2 inches of oil. Drain on a wire rack. Serve with your favorite condiments.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

With all that good stuff in yours Goodweed, I don't think you would miss the cabbage. Sounds really yummy.

urmaniac13 said:
Lets hope someone can post a great recipe for us... (chopstix??? where r u??)

Hi urmaniac! Sorry I've been playing hooky for quite some time :angel: and been missing out on many threads. Didn't see your post on one thread asking me for Lumpia recipe until yesterday. I promise I'll write up how my mom makes her Chinese lumpia for you. I'll have to try to estimate the measurements as my mom never measures. You'll have to give me some time though as I'm going out of town for a few days... Please check back in a week! :)

Also to someone's comment that the name lumpia might be of Filipino origin, it's actually of Chinese origin (Fookien dialect I believe). Many Chinese as well as Spanish dishes have been adapted into Filipino cuisine.:chef:

Aha, there you are Chopstix!! Great to hear from you, and I look forward to seeing your recipe!! (But take your time, no pressure!!....drooooool....:-p ) And don't worry about measures... I seldom do that either, so I am accustomed to eyeballing the amount!!:ROFLMAO:

Yes like many others I thought lumpia was a Filippino recipe for a long time. Probably it is like the same story with many mediterranean recipes, things like tzatziki, falafel, baklava, kebob etc. etc. can be Greek, Lebanese, Turkish etc. all at the same time!!

BTW thanks also shunka and goodweed!! Seems like lumpia will be our next subject for experiments!!

Last edited:
Hi Urmaniac, here you go!

Chinese Lumpia

1. Lumpia Wrapper:

This is a round paper-thin wrap (about 10 inches in diameter) made from flour, salt and water (I think). We just buy it ready to use at the supermarket and keep it covered with damp cloth so it doesn’t dry up in between uses (much like filo pastry).

I have no good recipe for this. I have tried some from the internet but they were no good.

2. Lumpia Filling:

Chicken bouillon cubes
Minced garlic
Sugar
Approximately the same amount for the following main ingredients:
100 g carrots, finely grated
100 g string beans, finely chopped
100 g cabbage, finely sliced
100 g firm tofu, minced
100 g bamboo shoots, minced (Optional)
100 g shrimp, shelled and minced
100 g pork, minced

Cooking the filling:

In a big wok, saute some garlic in oil. Add pork. Add crumbled chicken bouillon. When pork is almost cooked, add shrimp. Add rest of ingredients. Keep stirring until mixed thoroughly. Add soy sauce and a little sugar to taste. Sir together from time to time for flavors to combine. Simmer until everything is soft and well-cooked and the juices dry up enough.

Toppings:

Mix of white sugar and ground toasted peanuts
Dried seaweed floss that looks like dried up cut grass (called HoTeeh in Chinese)
Fried crispy rice noodles (broken up)
Cilantro leaves and stems
Thick Chinese red hot sauce (preferably, Sunshine brand)

To assemble the lumpia:

Place one lumpia wrapper on dry plate. Lay out a layer of small romaine lettuce leaves in a row on the lower section of the wrapper. Arrange filling into a log on top of the lettuce bed. Layer the different toppings evenly on the log. Fold up the wrapper on both ends of the log, roll log and enjoy!

Notes:

The HoTeeh dried seaweed floss can be replaced with Japanese nori seaweed (juliened) although I think the HoTeeh is more fragrant.

The thick Chinese red hot sauce is similar to Vietnamese red hot sauce.

My mom would make a humongous batch of lumpia filling at a time. Good for 4 to 5 lumpia feasts for the entire family. She freezes it by batches. The filling actually tastes better on second cooking. (How she cooks the humongous batch? By cooking each main ingredient separately and then combining them all in large aluminum basins.)

The recipe above is for Chinese lumpia. Chinese lumpia is traditionally a family gathering meal/event where all the toppings, fillings, wrapper are laid out at the center of the table. No other dish is served. Each person assembles and rolls up his own lumpia and eats it by hand, like a burrito. He can make and eat as many lumpias as he wants in one sitting.

Messy but real fun and delish! Chopsticks won't work here...!

The Filipino ‘fresh’ lumpia recipe is basically the above Chinese lumpia with few of the toppings. Also with less number of main ingredients and some ingredient substitutions. No family gathering tradition goes with the Filipino lumpia. It is served as an afternoon snack or as a vegetable side dish. The rolled up Filipino lumpia is plated and smothered with sweet brown gravy made from brown sugar, water, and cornstarch, and finally topped with minced raw garlic.

The 3 other lumpia variations in the Philippines that I know of are:

Fried lumpia. This is the Filipino lumpia minus the gravy and toppings, deep-fried until golden and crunchy, and served with a dip made from sugar cane vinegar, crushed garlic, salt or fish sauce, chopped red onions, and crushed bird’s eye chilis.

Lumpia Shanghai. It is filling made from minced pork and grated jicamas rolled up in quartered lumpia wrappers. These are deep fried until golden and crispy and served with a sweet-sour dipping sauce made of vinegar, salt, banana ketchup, cornstarch.

Lumpia Ubod. A drastic variation of the fresh lumpia which was concocted in Negros, a major island province in central Philippines. The filling is sweet and savoury, made from young bamboo shoots and minced pork and shrimp, with a very strong fresh garlic flavor. The wrapper is made with egg and flour, much like a thin crepe. It is served rolled up with no toppings necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yey, Chopstix, you rock!!:w00t2: :punk:
Sounds really delicious, would love to try it out asap... however I will have to check out one of the biggest specialty food shops in Rome, as I don't think I remember seeing lumpia wrappers anywhere else... I am hopeful that this shop carries them, but if not:ohmy: ... may I ask you for some ideas for plan B (any kind of option!)?? do you think something like flour tortillas can be used? (as you mentioned a certain similarity with burritos...) Or spring roll wrappers would be better? How do you cook them? If I remember correctly, this version was not deep fried, right? Do toast the wrapper on a griddle, or steam them?

urmaniac13 said:
Yey, Chopstix, you rock!!:w00t2: :punk:
Sounds really delicious, would love to try it out asap... however I will have to check out one of the biggest specialty food shops in Rome, as I don't think I remember seeing lumpia wrappers anywhere else... I am hopeful that this shop carries them, but if not:ohmy: ... may I ask you for some ideas for plan B (any kind of option!)?? do you think something like flour tortillas can be used? (as you mentioned a certain similarity with burritos...) Or spring roll wrappers would be better? How do you cook them? If I remember correctly, this version was not deep fried, right? Do toast the wrapper on a griddle, or steam them?
Licia,
I just found a recipe for the wrappers, they are similar to a very thin crepe. When ready to fill a small piece of lettuce, (butter lettuce) is laid on the wrapper then the warm filling,then rolled, a small amount of sauce poured over and a sprinkle of peanuts and serve with more sauce on the side.
Here is the crepe/wrapper recipe:
1-egg
1-c. flour
1-c. cornstarch
2=1/2-c. water
Whisk all ingredients in med. bowl til smoth. Strain and whisk again. Over low heat, heat an 8-in. nonstick skillet. Off heat pour just enough batter about 3 Tab. to cover surface of pan bottom, makeing sure that the mix is spread evenly. Return skillet to heat til crepe sets. Do not brown. Remove from heat and invert skillet over flat surface. the crepe should fall right out. Allow to cool and set aside. repeat til all batter is used. Makes 12 crepes..I also have sauce reice and a filling one, but the filling already posted look wonderful, and I would use one of those as this one is almost identical.

kadesma:)

Wow, it does look very much like crepes, both ingredients and the preparation technique!! I surely can handle this, this will save me a trip to the other side of Rome, thanks so much CJ!!:) :) :)

urmaniac13 said:
Wow, it does look very much like crepes, both ingredients and the preparation technique!! I surely can handle this, this will save me a trip to the other side of Rome, thanks so much CJ!!:) :) :)
Glad I could help, I did call a good friend who is chinese and she gave it a thumbs up.

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom