I hate chopping onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allioop108

Assistant Cook
Ok so I hate chopping onions but love em in my food. Is there any thing I can buy that will chopped the onions for me or make it a less tedious task, you know sort of like a cheese grater or the french fry maker we haven't used in years.

Allen

You can buy them chopped in CA. Have you checked at Costco or Sams?
Food processor does a great job of chopping too.

I don't mind chopping onions by hand, but you could look into a number of "mini-choppers" on the market. Some are electric (like the mini-prep Cuisinart); others are manual - you press down on the top & the blades chop. Do a websearch - I'm sure you'll come up with all sorts of alternatives to hand-chopping.

I use what BreezyCooking mentioned, a manual onion chopper (though of course it can be used for other things). It's a great time saver and I find I am lacking the onion tears because of it. It's also less hassle to wash than a food processor, especially if you are only going to use the food processor to chop onions.

You simply skin the onion, chop it into halves or quarters, place the chopper over it and bang it a bunch of times, you can make it as rough or as fine as you want it. Look in kitchenware stores, you are bound to find one.

I use a few things to chop onions - I would recommend any of them:

1st - the food processor
2nd - something called a "Quick Chef" made by Tupperware. It's a manual thing - there is a sharp blade inside. You turn the crank on the top.
3rd - the chopper attachment on my Braun stick blender

allioop108 said:
Ok so I hate chopping onions but love em in my food. Is there any thing I can buy that will chopped the onions for me or make it a less tedious task, you know sort of like a cheese grater or the french fry maker we haven't used in years.

Allen

Sorry, but.........,

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything like that, but haven't you heard of a mandoline or food processor?:ermm:

It must be the juice being emitted from the onions themselves that burn your eyes and nose. I hate that as well. I've been told that if you let the onions sit in cold water for a few minutes after peeling them, that strong juice isn't so severe then.

You can also get one of those choppers with the handle that you push down repeatedly until the onions are of the texture that you desire.:chef:

There's also this newer gadget out where you put the onion on a set of small blades that looks like a French fry cutter and you push a cover down and the onions go into the supplied bowl. Your onions are chopped using just one stroke!
You should look into getting one of those devices.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Chopping onions

If the onions are cold, chances are you won't even notice the fumes. Try putting an onion in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or so before you chop it.

Kelly

That doesn't work for me. Still too many fumes. I keep onions in the fridge anyway.

But if you have and use a food processor with either the slicing disk or metal blade, that cuts down drastically on the fumes. And it also gets you out of the kitchen sooner.

~Corey123.

It's not the fumes that bother me but the labor of having to chop them up. I havent tried a food processor as I figure it would liquify the onions like the blender does, even in chop mode. Will look into some of the posted suggestions.

Allen

Allen...we do onions in the processor all the time. Use the blade on the bottom...not one that goes on top. The best way is to use the "pulse" button...that way you have total control on how fine you want them chopped. Good luck!

allioop108 said:

Allen

Here's something that might interest you!!

I was browsing in a Bed Bath & Beyond store today in, what else, the kitchen gadget section. I saw this thing that's been advertised to TV, and right away, I thought about you and your extreme dislike for chopping onions.:ermm:

It's called the Nicer Dicer. It sells for about $39.00. You can also visit their website at http://www.nicerdicer.com. You might be able to get it from there as well. Good luck!:chef:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
bingo

Corey123 said:
Here's something that might interest you!!

It's called the Nicer Dicer. It sells for about $39.00. You can also visit their website at http://www.nicerdicer.com. You might be able to get it from there as well. Good luck!:chef:

~Corey123.

Thats what I'm looking for, nice, small compact, hate having to lug the food processor out then clean it afterwards. Anybody have any hands on experience with this product or will I be the first to test. I will buy probably towards July.

thanks,
Allen

I was tempted to get it- even today when I saw it!

But I had already bought a scanner from Staples and some diabetic cookbooks from the Joslin Diabetes Clinic.

I may still get it, but at a later time.

~Corey123.

Corey123 said:
But this item should work well for him.

~Corey123.

It's difficult to determine how big the hopper is that holds the item about to be chopped. I'm guessing it won't hold a very big onion. That means that, in addition to peeling every onion, you have to cut up anything larger than a small lemon.

Also, nothing soft will work in this chopper. You'd end up making a mess.

That may also be a deciding factor as well.

I know that the large yellow Spanish onions which I always buy, won't fit through there whole.

For most of my dishes except for pasta salad and potato salad, I always use the Cuisinart for slicing (did this by hand for the Bolognese sauce yesterday), since it's super-fast and the onions bell pepper and celery disappear anyway when the dish is done.

~Corey123.

Chefs Catalog has one. It's called the Alligator Chopper, so-called because it has the shape of an alligator's mouth and it costs $25.00.
Visit http://www.chefscatalog.com to find out more.

Just type onion choppers in the search bar and click on the SEARCH button.

~Corey123.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom