The all time best roast beef and gravy EVER!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarius

Assistant Cook
I recently did my first 'big family roast' at my home, and I must admit, it went off without a hitch! It was a big deal for me, someone who has only come out of her 'cooking shell' within the past 2 years, to feed 8 people in a comfortable, calm, yet fun atmosphere. (The best part was that I know two of my older cousins who were there couldn't have pulled it off! I know it's nasty, but I love the fact I can cook well! LOL!)

OK! So here's the greatest roast beef EVER. Including a gravy that has become a stable in our home around roast time. It's just heaven. Do yourself a favour and try it this weekend!

Herb-crusted Roast Beef with Onion and Red Wine Gravy
Serves 8.

70g (1/4 cup) Dijon mustard
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh thyme
2 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper (Freshly ground)
2kg-piece beef scotch fillet (any cut would do, of course)
50g butter
3 (about 750g worth) brown onions, halved, thinly sliced (It seems like a lot, but don't worry!)
2 garlic cloves
1 tbs finely chopped fresh thyme extra
1 tbs plain flour
300ml dry red wine
600ml beef stock

1. Preheat oven to 220ºC. Combine the mustard, thyme and oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Rub the beef with the mustard mixture and place in a roasting pan.
2. Roast in preheated oven for 1 and a quarter hours for medium or until cooked to your liking. Remove from oven. Transfer beef to a heatproof platter and cover with foil. Set aside for 15 minutes to rest. Reserve the juices of the pan and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, to make the onion and red wine gravy, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add the onion, garlic and extra thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until all the onion caramelises. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds or until golden. Gradually pour in the wine, stirring constantly, and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until reduced by half. Add the stock and reserved pan juices and cook for 5 minutes or until gravy thickens slightly. Remove from heat, and strain through a fine sieve into a heatproof jug.

To DIE for! Simply the BEST roast and gravy I have ever tasted!

I served it with a roasted vegetable salad (zucchini, eggplant, tomato, red onion, mediterranean vegies and a balsamic dressing), spinach with roasted carrots and red capsicums and a mayo and wholegrain mustard dressing, and steamed green beans and carrots. Oh, and roasted potatoes. Bite sized pieces roasted with rosemary and olive oil. And a good tip, don't discard the onion from the gravy, it tastes divine put ontop of some of your meat as it's got all the wine and gravy flavour and it's cooked through nicely - yum!

Needless to say, we were stuffed full of yummy goodness!

I hope you enjoy this one, it's a definate family favourite!

that is a fine recipe...the ingredients would produce a taste not unllike a good beef burgundy...onion beef thyme red wine...all go so well together. yum!

It is true, nothing smells better than a fine roast...scents the whole house. I'm sure this one is tops in that category. Will surely give it a try this winter...only a summer away...

i have always wanted to try and make a roast beef.

i have never heard of beef scotch fillet though. can that be gotten in the usa? if no, what duts do you al reccomend?

Robo410 said:
It is true, nothing smells better than a fine roast...scents the whole house. I'm sure this one is tops in that category. Will surely give it a try this winter...only a summer away...

That's what I thought as I read this... Seems like a great cool weather dish, but Vegas is heading into 'surface-of-the-sun'-mode for the next few months.:neutral:

Thanks though, Aquarius. I'll definitely save this for later!

mugsy27 said:
i have always wanted to try and make a roast beef.

i have never heard of beef scotch fillet though. can that be gotten in the usa? if no, what duts do you al reccomend?

I'm not sure what its called in the USA, but your cows are the same so you should have it! LOL!

It's a very expensive roasting cut. You also get Scotch Fillet steaks, cut from the same area on the cow.

It's sort of round if that helps? And very very little sinew. Not chewy at all, a great cut of beef. Usually about $40 for a 2kg one over here. That's about $30 for you.

It is sometimes called Rib-eye, or cube roll.

I asked my sister who lives in Australia. She thinks it's rib-eye. Here in the UK (home of the roast beef dinner!) we generally use a topside, rump, sirloin or fillet to roast. Don't know what their equivalents are in the USA or Aus! So, maybe this thread should be entitled the 'all time best AUSTRALIAN etc'?!!!!

All I know is that here 'Scotch or Scots' beef is beef raised in Scotland, rather than England, Northern Ireland or Wales. We have no 'cuts' called Scottish anything.

This appars to be another case of cuts of beef being known as quite different things in different areas of the globe. For instance, some posters have used a cut of meat called a 'London Broil' for their recipes posted here. I wouldn't have a clue what that was in UK terms! And what about Cornish hens? Completely unknown in Cornwall!

Last edited:
that's ok, we're happy to have the recipe!

London Broil is a marinated flank steak ... great for grilling, tender when rare and sliced across the grain on a bias.

Cornish hens are very small chicken relations. Bigger than quail. serves 1 or 2 at most. probably from cornwall massachusets, lol.

the ranchers packers and resauranteurs of a country title the cuts . Ever had a New York Strip in London?? doubt it, lol. Go to South America where beef is what's for dinner too, and the cuts are named quite differently also.

But a knowlegable butcher won't steer ya wrong, whatever the cut is called.

Robo410 said:
that's ok, we're happy to have the recipe!

London Broil is a marinated flank steak ... great for grilling, tender when rare and sliced across the grain on a bias.

Cornish hens are very small chicken relations. Bigger than quail. serves 1 or 2 at most. probably from cornwall massachusets, lol.

the ranchers packers and resauranteurs of a country title the cuts . Ever had a New York Strip in London?? doubt it, lol. Go to South America where beef is what's for dinner too, and the cuts are named quite differently also.

But a knowlegable butcher won't steer ya wrong, whatever the cut is called.

Well, we don't 'broil', we 'grill' so wonder why it's called a London Grill? Mayeb its from a London in the USA?

So, there's a Cornwall, Mass... Who knew?:ROFLMAO: We call those small birds by their French name pouisson!

You're right - in countries around the world, there are different names - but it is interesting when the names are changed in countries where we all pretend to speak English!!!:cool:

No, I definitely mean pouisson. See here for a photograph of frozen example from a New Zealand site, so they've heard of them too !

I know cooking, I've been doing it for nigh on 40 years and have been on courses at many cookery schools around Europe. I know what we in Britain call different types of bird!
http://www.portersorganic.co.nz/products.php?cat_id=11&showall=1&first=1&pro_id=149

But you are correct, the word you've used does mean 'Fish' in French.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom