"WHIP and CHILL" does it still exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a recipe to make it!

First of all, I remember this fondly as a topping for jello cake back in the day. My mom got a recipe to make whip n chill from scratch when the stores quit carrying it. The recipe is as follows:

1 pkg vanilla cook n serve pudding
2 cups water
1 3 0z pkg gelatin
1 cup of whipping cream, whipped (makes about 2 cups) or an 8 ounce pkg of cool whip.

In a small saucepan, cook vanilla pudding and water until thickened about 10-15 minutes. Whisk in dry jello of choice until dissolved. Chill for about 20 minutes. Fold cream or cool whip into the cooled gelatin mixture. It tastes better if you use the whipped cream, and cheaper than buying the big pkgs and trying to divide them. Hope this helps any retro foodies out there :)

I remember whip & chill and not from the 60's! We used it in a foodservice establishment I worked in about 15 years ago and I was searching for it today because I loved it! I asked my distributor about it and he had never heard of it lol..I think I'll check out some of the recipes other members have posted here though..just looking for a strawberry mousse to serve where I cook now..

"Real" Whip n' Chill - The missing ingredient

Sometime back in the '90s, I called Kraft to inquire as to the availability of Whip N' Chill. At that time, even the foodservice version did not exist. The lady that I spoke to was incredibly helpful in aiding me to determine the ingredients of the original product. She actually had another Kraft employee search through their product museum and fax me a copy of the ingredients list from an original package, so that I could attempt making my own from scratch.

Using this information, I was able to come up with a concoction that was similar, but not identical. The Whip N' Chill that I came to relish had a simultaneously smooth but grainy texture. It was this "graininess" that I was trying to duplicate. As it turned out, this texture was due to the now-missing ingredient, course tapioca flour. That is, the tapioca flour grains are smaller than "small-pearl" tapioca, but larger than normal tapioca flour.

Since it takes some time to modify tapioca starch (cook it), I only made a few batches due to all the effort required. At the time, the only tapioca I could find was standard pearl variety, so I first ground the pearls into meal, then cooked the meal. This is known as pre-gelled or modified tapioca starch.

The other ingredients that I used, in order to duplicate the original "chemically" taste, were milk, Jello instant pudding mix and Dream Whip. The pudding has a lot of gelatin and modified food starch, and the Dream Whip has all the hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fats. Cool Whip would probably work just as well as the Dream Whip, as they are similar in ingredients.

Now, I will probably try to figure out how to synthesize a healthy version of Whip n' Chill. The partially hydrogenated fats are the unhealthiest components of the commercial version, followed by the fully hydrogenated (saturated) fats. Avoiding the preservatives, anti-caking agents, conditioners, etc. would be good too. My latest idea involves the use of coconut oil, which is very healthy, and whips fairly easy. Although coconut oil is a saturated / medium chain triglyceride, it is immediately metabolized in the liver, not stored in fat cells. I am not against using cream, but I think the taste and texture might be closer to the chemical version if I used coconut oil, as well as being healthier and more stable.

Anyway, the point of all of this was to point out that the modern, foodservice-packaged Whip N' Chill is not the same as the grocery store variety sold in years past, and it doesn't have that awesome texture of the original due to the lack of tapioca flour.

Hope that helps someone.

Sounds like angel delight to me. I'm sure your own homemade version will be much better than the substance from the packet.

They have this great video that plays at the Museum of Science and Industry, I forget exactly what section it is in, where it shows how a 'lemon meringue pie' is commercially produced.
We stood there and watched it for 15 minutes waiting for some sort of fruit or ingredient we recognized to be add, it never was.... just chemical mix after chemical mix.
Of course I am sure they picked the worst one they could find for the video, LOL.

I LOVE the Museum of Science and Industry. Ever since I was a tiny girl I've been enthralled by their exhibits and explanations of why and how things work.

I remember Whip and Chill. Nasty stuff. Wouldn't get close to it now. Besides, Chocolate Mousse is SO easy to make and not only better tasting, but it's actually real food! If you'd like my recipe (which comes from a real bistro in Paris), send me a pm.

Last edited:
HELP!!! Does anyone remember a dessert mix called "WHIP and CHILL"? If so....can you tell me how to replicate that texture for pudding or any other dessert? I'm desperate!

was wondering the same thing. I actually have a "Magical Desserts with Whip'n Chill Deluxe Dessert Mix" Cook book, copy write in 1965. But I swear I saw some at "Grocery Outlet" on Olympia, WA the other day. Im dying to got back and verify! I dont know what state you are in.... But I'll let you know when I confirm.

Birds angel delight

think this is the same stuff.was launched over here in the 60's too.can still buy it everywhere here....tesco sell it for £0.50p a pack,so if you have one nearby it's a lot cheaper than from britstore....assuming they charge the same that is.asda also sell it here & they are owned by walmart so worth checking out the big W!
Angel Delight delivered straight to your door - Buy online with worldwide delivery

Last edited:
Whip & Chill
Submitted by: TRATHJE
Quick and easy addition to any meal!

Minutes to Prepare: 20
Number of Servings: 4

Ingredients
1- 3 oz. package sugar free jello (any flavor)
1 cup very hot water
1 cup fat free cool whip

Directions
Dissolve jello in hot water. Put in refrigerator to cool for about 15 minutes. Add cool whip and stir on low speed with hand mixer until well blended. Chill until set. Makes four servings.

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople

Whip & Chill
Submitted by: TRATHJE
Quick and easy addition to any meal!

Minutes to Prepare: 20

Ingredients
1- 3 oz. package sugar free jello (any flavor)
1 cup very hot water
1 cup fat free cool whip

Directions
Dissolve jello in hot water. Put in refrigerator to cool for about 15 minutes. Add cool whip and stir on low speed with hand mixer until well blended. Chill until set. Makes four servings.

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople
do miss the 60's & 70's addie.good music,good weather,good times & food with ingredients that are banned now.....but tasted sooooo good!!! happy days;)!!

do miss the 60's & 70's addie.good music,good weather,good times & food with ingredients that are banned now.....but tasted sooooo good!!! happy days;)!!

In the 60's I was busy with babies 3&4. Both in diapers. Ten years before baby #5 came along. :ohmy:

I Too Adored Whip and Chill

Delicious! Especially the chocolate flavor. The strawberry was good, too. But the chocolate. Awwwsome.

i remember dream whip, which i used to fill my homemade cream puffs back in the day. i thought it tasted good at the time. don't know if i would like it still today. probably not. i don't remember if i ever tasted whip and chill, but do recall the name....

so miss Whip 'N Chill

I have been searching for this for a few years now since my local stores stopped carrying it. In the mid '90's my mother got an awesome cheesecake recipe using the vanilla flavor with cream cheese and pineapples!! It was a traditional dessert for Easter & Christmas in our family. This recipe is the only cheesecake I will eat.....light, fluffy and sooo indulgent! I have tried using other stuff as subsitutes, but they do no justice to the recipe - and cost too much money to throw out b/c no one liked.

Back
Top Bottom