ISO a great cream of tomato soup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

expatgirl

Master Chef
Help!! Anyone with a good cream of tomato soup recipe? Can't even buy Campbell's soup over here (but they have great tasting tomatos all year round and the most wonderful dairy products to die for) and I'd like to make my famous Beef Stroganoff Piquant which calls for it. If not, thanks for checking this thread out anyway!:chef::chef::chef:

Where's "over here" by the way?

Canned tomatoes and/or tomato puree, heated up, mushed as you like or don't like, seasoned with salt, pepper and anything else that appeals to you.

We add some olive oil to ours, but we don't do the creamed version. Maybe if you're going to be adding milk or cream, a bit of real butter would be nice.

There isn't anything else to it!! Get it to the thickness you want, add in your milk or cream and bring back up to hot-but-not-boiling, and serve!

Quantities? Whatever seems right according to your local packaging, really. As for the milk or cream, judge by color.

Oregano's nice. Fennel would be nice ...

Ayrton,

Thanks for your post and I will give it a try---"over here" is Astana, "Kazakhstan" (new capital)--ex-soviet satellite, huge country --VERY cold in the winter, located on the steppes so lots of wind at times---minus 45 or lower in the winter but quite nice right now and throughout the summer-------some American products but not many and if available very expensive---but the area has huge economic potential as far as the oil sector is involved. It's a nice country in quite a few ways especially the people.

We have a tomato bisque that is super easy and very delish too.

#10 can Par peeled tomatoes, pureed
1 lg yellow onion, pureed
1 LB Butter, cubed
1 qt Heavy cream

In a large suace pot, sweat onions in a little olive oil, once they are nice and translucent, andd the tomato puree. Bring up to temp, and incorperate butter, then cream. Heat until everything is melted thru and well incorperated.

You can omit the cream for a richer soup, but either way, it is good stuff.

I garnish it with a dollop of creme fraiche, and a little basil.

Hi again --

Kazakhstan, huh?! You'll need this soup in the winter!

Never mind about the lack of American products. I'm in Greece and I'm sure when I first got here I bemoaned the same thing, but 20 years on I really couldn't care less and vastly prefer the cooking I've learned here. If you're staying there for awhile, it would be a great opportunity to learn about the local cooking (and share what you learn here!).

By the way, Tattrat's bisque sounds really nice too. Do without the cream or substitute milk (maybe a lesser amount?) for something lighter. Sure it will be yummy!

Ayrton

Hi pdswife --

Right smack-dab in Athens proper. Why do you ask? Are you familiar with the city?

A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom