What are you planning now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
When is the next time you're entertaining? How many people will there be? Will you have hired help? What are you cooking?

Right now I'm expecting ten for brunch. My husband is joking that he will be the only non-Bob there (the men are all Roberts. Strictly coincidental, but it makes you wonder). I'm doing main course, a limited bar, and new potatoes. Everyone else is bringing a course.

We're talking with a few other couples about getting a whole lamb and roasting it over the fire pit. We'll do the whole Greek Easter thing! Yummmers!!

Family reunion first, then, Thanksgiving. That is it LOL
Saturday of the family reunion is our together dinner. We usually do brisket and everyone brings a side or dessert. This year, we're frying fish.

On June 14th. I am organizing a chili cook-off at work. Besides the chili that everyone brings we are having Polish dogs, sauerkraut, :-p and all the other appropriate condiments. Most likely someone will bring cornbread and a dessert or two.

the first thing that came to mind when i read the title was:

"the same thing i do every night, pinky.

try to take over the world!!!!"

(if you're over 30, you probably won't get that)

our next big plans are my mom's 80th surprise birthday party this summer, at my sister's summer home in delaware. gotta sync up with her to see what she needs for the pahhhhty. i think several dozen realtives were invited, so it should be interesting.

i usually do a giant pot o' meataballs and sausage, but i may switch gears this year. since it's delaware, maybe a pot o' blueclaws in sauce, with mussels, clams, scallops, shrimps, etc...

buckytom said:

our next big plans are my mom's 80th surprise birthday party this summer, at my sister's summer home in delaware. gotta sync up with her to see what she needs for the pahhhhty. i think several dozen realtives were invited, so it should be interesting.

i usually do a giant pot o' meataballs and sausage, but i may switch gears this year. since it's delaware, maybe a pot o' blueclaws in sauce, with mussels, clams, scallops, shrimps, etc...

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: bucky, you are so funny. The giant pot of meatballs and sausages sounds yummy to me. But I am biased since I not a big fan of seafood.

lol, thanks sc.

i should have said it was my mom's surprise 80th birthday party.

wouldn't be much of a surprise if we've done it every year for 80 freakin' years now, would it?

I should have asked for an after-party report. I'm sitting here looking at the mess and thinking about cleaning up. I actually gave up and went for a lie-down after 7 or so hours and some guests still were showing no signs of leaving. We had a few more than we expected, but luckily we'd given up on the concept of a set table and put out a buffet line with disposable plastic plates, flatwear, glasses. Our "bunch for brunch" started out as five people; this week I had a dozen. Luckily the weather cooperated so we could sit outside and not worry about air conditioning inside. My turn won't come around for at least a couple of months now, so we'll be doing brunch at freinds' houses who have central air.

july 4th bbq not sure how many folks will turn out...
we always do the cook out/ then watermelon down at the local springs...:)

buckytom said:

You're right Bucky- I didn't get it!!!:ermm: BUT your seafood fest sounds great to me and in the perfect place!!!

Now that we're finished with Den's grad party, it's time to plan our annual BBQ for our friends which will be July 22.It's an all day affair starting with a psuedo continental breakfast,moving onto steamers,shrimp, scallops and the likes-grilled pizza -there will be a brisket smokin'all day on the charcoals,to accompany deep fried turkey and sides of the usual kind (corn on the cob baked beans,grilled veggies and pineapple,slaw and potato salad) dessert is usually drunken fruit salad,assorted cookies,watermelon for the kids.I forgot to mention the various cocktails we usually make for the different "sessions"Mimosas for the morning.Mojitos and Margaritas for the fish segment and pitchers of Sangria for the evening along with a variety of beers and wine.Kiersten offered to make the jello shots this year as her contribution!!!!:huh:

Claire,
You're fortunate to have someone else bring other dishes. The last time we entertained was two weeks ago (on my daughter's luau b-day party). We had a little over 20 people here. I ended up doing everything, birthday cakes, salads, fried rice, steamed rice, dips, sauces, piña coladas, including the marinaded chicken and pork skewers for DH to grill. I give him credit since he did all the decorating for the girls in the backyard. He literally turned it into a tiki! We were so tired then to even enjoy the party. Blah! But we did it! As much as I love cooking, I will have to get a headstart with the cooking the day before we entertain. Our next time we get to entertain will probably be for the 4th of July with two guests-lol-my BIL and his girlfriend only.

Dina, I used to try to do it all myself, but gave up on it. Here most of my guests call and ask what they can bring. Our core group for parties all KNOW to bring something -- Even my unexpected company stopped at the store for some champagne. Sometimes even with all the contributions it can be exhausting. But we all love to get together, so pitch in. Part of it is that we're probably older than you -- very few children involved (the group I hang with range from 30s through 70s). Screaming children can wear me out very quickly. but we always help each other when we entertain, and it does make a difference. Even then the cleaning before and after can wear a girl down.

I know what you mean Claire-the afterwards can be so tiring!!!But I for one would rather be tuckered out for a couple of days afterwards than not visit with my friends.Luckily they all help out.One of our friends was here at 6:30 am the morning of my son's grad party to help pitch the tents in the backyard-the party wasn't until 3!We only have a few "little" ones that come and my daughter and son's girlfriend usually do a craft with them or color with them-I guess I'm lucky that way.I hope you get more enjoyment out of your parties than fatigue and lots and lots of wonderful memories!!!So i wish you love and LOTS of energy, Vicki

I'm planning on having a simple 4th of July Party. Just a cook-out and BYOB party. Nothing fancy just a party for us all to get together and relax and enjoy the day.

BBQ Chicken, Italian Sausages w/peppers & onions, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs
Pasta Salad
Baked Beans
Cole Slaw
Cucumbers & Onions
Chips
Watermelon and Cantelope

VQ, obviously I agree with you. I already have folk around town asking when I'm throwing my summer party. I'm skipping it this year because $$$$ .... even with all that help, it isn't cheap. And this year we're replacing the porch on our 1854 house, a great old lady who has been missing her dress for 20+ years. It won't be cheap, plus our hot water heater failed a couple months ago and needed replacement. But, luckily, being out of work (retired? just quit? whatever you want to call it!) I have the option of spending all day washing up, then spending another day doing nothing but sitting with a book and bottle of wine.

Claire - your house sounds wonderful and inviting and "plastic surgery" on those old beauties can be a fortune I'm sure!!!Lots of luck with the renovation- maybe next year you can throw her a "look at me" BBQ!

Oh, Vicki, I won't wait until next year. As soon as the porch is on, we'll have freinds over. It just won't be the 40+ people our normal 2x/yr party is!

(((Claire)))I guess you and I have a similar passion for entertaining whether it be 20 or 100 we have to get our "fixes" :).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom