Hi - from Bangalore, India

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jyothi

Assistant Cook
Hi everybody

I am a new member frm India. Very fond of cookery. I am quite good at preparing South Indian veg dishes.

HOping to contribute shortly

Take care

Jyothi

Hello Jyothi, and hearty welcome to you!!
Like many of the members here I adore Indian cuisine and always curious to learn more about it. I bet you have a lot to share with us and I look forward to your input!! And above all, I hope you have as much fun as we all do here!!

img_277621_0_0a33010a38adc46178df38d3bb21d8a5.gif

To DC, Jyothi! It's wonderful to have you here with us!

Welcome, Jyothi! So glad to have you here.
I live in the heartland of the USA, and though I've traveled this country pretty extensively, the only time I've been out of the country was on a trip to Canada.
I've decided that every time we get a new member from another country, I will do a search on their city and area. I'm really learning a lot. Here's what I came up from your city. If you have a better site, please let me know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore

Welcome to DC Jyothi! I love vegetable dishes and would really like to see your recipes.

Constance said:
Welcome, Jyothi! So glad to have you here.
I live in the heartland of the USA, and though I've traveled this country pretty extensively, the only time I've been out of the country was on a trip to Canada.
I've decided that every time we get a new member from another country, I will do a search on their city and area. I'm really learning a lot. Here's what I came up from your city. If you have a better site, please let me know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore

Constance, Amber and other friends,

extremely sorry for this late reply. As i had taken a looooooooong break, i could not log in earlier and check the messages. since 2 days, checking everything.

Constance, pls chk the few links to know some more abt Banglaore. Wd be glad to offer more info
http://www.bangalore-karnataka.com/
http://www.karnataka.com/tourism/bangalore/
http://www.bangaloreit.com/html/aboutbng/aboutbng.htm

and Amber I wd be certainly offering plenty of veg receipes frm my side and coastal receipes of karnataka (both veg + non veg) receipes frm my hubby dear.
one receipe for a salad follows now :

(pls pardon my clumsiness with measurement - as i don't exactly measure the ingredients )

take a medium sized green cucumber (abt 8-10 inches long).
peel its skin and chop it into small pieces.
1 green chili: chop
few coriander leaves : chop
u can also chop n add 1 ripened tomato
add salt as per taste
mix everything well and add a cup of yogurt in the end and serve

it is a basic receipe. but seasoning can also be used :
put 1 tsp oil in a small pan and put mustard seeds. once they splutter, add curry leaves (if available) and pour on top of the salad and mix everything

if u find green chilie too hot, pls substitute with pepper powder which again gives a different taste

There are other variants for the above salad.
U can add a small cup of sprouted green gram (to sprout green gram, soak it overnight, drain water, and keep it covered for a day. the gram wd sprout).

if u want u can also add chopped onion (one small wd do)

I've only just seen this post, Jyothi - so a belated welcome from me.
I love Indian food and also cook lots of vegetarian meals. In fact, I just cooked some stuffed aubergines yesterday which were deelish! I'll post the recipe I think.

cliveb said:
I've only just seen this post, Jyothi - so a belated welcome from me.
I love Indian food and also cook lots of vegetarian meals. In fact, I just cooked some stuffed aubergines yesterday which were deelish! I'll post the recipe I think.

wow !! cliveb, pls do so !!

i think i should have started a new thread instead of replying for an old one

Just read about Bangalore in Thomas Friedman's book The World is Flat. What do you do besides cook?

I need to know how to use your "pickle" concoctions--lemon, mango, etc.

Gretchen said:
Just read about Bangalore in Thomas Friedman's book The World is Flat. What do you do besides cook?

I need to know how to use your "pickle" concoctions--lemon, mango, etc.

Hello Gretchen,

I am a stenographer in a bank by profession. Read tons of fiction during leisure time. Learning adobe ps

Am giving a lengthy recipe

There are countless varieties of pickle recipes, which vary from region to region.

For mango pickle :-
Ingredients
Mango 1 large or 2-4 small (we use a particular variety of mango known as pickle mango!! - it's usually very sour)
red chillie powder 1/4 cup - pls reduce as it may b too hot
turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp
mustard 1/4 tsp
salt 1/4 cup
cooking oil 1/4 cup
Wash the mangoes well and dry them using a kitchen napkin. Remove the stalk part of the mango. Cut them into 3/4 inch chunks. Please ensure that inside core/seed is not used. Put the pieces in a glass jar with airtight lid. Add salt and close the lid tightly. Usually we wrap muslin cloth around the mouth of the jar. It has to remain in that condition for 2-3 days. Please ensure that you open the jar once a day and stir the contents using a wooden spoon. Third or fourth day, roast fenugreek seeds till they become golden brown, powder and add along with chili powder to the contents of the jar. Also put the oil in a pan. Splutter the mustard seeds in it and once it is cool pour on top of the pickle and mix once. It wd be ready for use after 6-7 days or so. only thing is the contents needs stirring daily. Otherwise it gets spoilt easily.
Lemon pickle is similar to the above

In addition I am also giving one easier instant pickle recipe

Ingredients

Carrot : 2-3
Cauliflower : a handful
Ginger : 1” piece
Garlic : 5-6 pods
Green chilies – 1 or 2
Raw Mangoes 1 : Totapuri variety (it is usually consumed directly as it is sweetish/sourish – the fruit is oblong with prominent beak in shape and about 6 - 8 inches long. The skin of the fruit is thick and green, yellow or a funny combination of all these colors, sorry don’t know what they call in western market)

Chop all the vegetables into very small pieces. Grind ginger, garlic and chili using boiled and cooled water (so that it stays fresh). Mix the ground masala to the vegetables. Add salt and u can serve it immediately.

Jyothi said:
South Indian veg dishes.
Jyothi
I hope those vegetable dishes will help lower my cholesterol.

Welcom Jyothi, you're on my buddy list. Hope to read your posts soon!!!

All the best,
Robert

Back
Top Bottom