FIFA WorldCup 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The commentary here in the UK at both the Czech and Italian matches kept mentioning that the corruption scandal has not gone away and that it is expected that proceedings will be ongoing. That's an awful lot of pressure to add to the pressure that those Serie A players are under just by competing in Germany.

I've read about that in a magazine just today..
they were all allowed to come to Germany... I'm not sure if that is right but otherwise there are no decisions made yet...

To be honest I was a bit surprised that certain players were allowed to join the national team and play in the world cup. (though I must admit they are rather indispensable if the team Italy were to go anywhere in this tournament...)
And I feel sorry for the other uninvolved players that so much negative air has to be hanging around with them at this stage... I just hope if just for the cup they put all the negatives aside and rise to the occasion...

It's not as if we don't know that FIFA are a corrupt organisation themselves!! That's probably WHY the players were allowed to go to the world cup.

Nedved is one of those accused, or so the UK press have said.... We had our own gambling scandal in football a few years ago, and the ex-Liverpool Goalie, Bruce Grobelaar, was one of the accused.

Wouldn't you think that with the HUGE, inflated salaries that they all earn, they would think that they should be immune to diving and deliberately losing matches?

Not directly to do with the worldcup but another football disgrace is the British charity SoccerAid which recently held a series of matches in the UK with the proceeds going to UNICEF. It was fronted by Robbie Williams, the ex-Take That singer. The TV programme proudly announced that all the money would go to children's charities. The police, the TV people, the stewards, all gave their time free. But it has been alleged in some of the UK press that some of the players (all overseas) were PAID.... 'Hand of God' Maradona was reputed to be paid 100,000 POUNDS to take part..... now rumours are that it was more like 250K pounds. And he was certainly not alone, according to 'informed sources'.... This is money given by UK football supporters to the charity. I would have thought Maradona was worth quite enough money, without taking money out of the mouths of children from the developing world.

Please note that I state 'alleged' in all of the above.... this is only what I've read in UK papers!

There.... rant over...... I feel MUCH better now!:ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Ishbel said:
I would have thought Maradona was worth quite enough money, without taking money out of the mouths of children from the developing world.

Please note that I state 'alleged' in all of the above.... this is only what I've read in UK papers!

There.... rant over...... I feel MUCH better now!:ROFLMAO: :LOL:

what a pity, if you know he is a child of the slums himself and just found his way out by a miracle and good football play..
I hope it's not true...

And I'm warming up for Swiss - France
smilie_schal4.gif

Ishbel said:
Wouldn't you think that with the HUGE, inflated salaries that they all earn, they would think that they should be immune to diving and deliberately losing matches?

My thoughts, exactly...

Ishbel said:
Not directly to do with the worldcup but another football disgrace is the British charity SoccerAid which recently held a series of matches in the UK with the proceeds going to UNICEF. It was fronted by Robbie Williams, the ex-Take That singer. The TV programme proudly announced that all the money would go to children's charities. The police, the TV people, the stewards, all gave their time free. But it has been alleged in some of the UK press that some of the players (all overseas) were PAID.... 'Hand of God' Maradona was reputed to be paid 100,000 POUNDS to take part..... now rumours are that it was more like 250K pounds. And he was certainly not alone, according to 'informed sources'.... This is money given by UK football supporters to the charity. I would have thought Maradona was worth quite enough money, without taking money out of the mouths of children from the developing world.?

What a pity such a thing had to happen.. that's why you always have to be careful when you make your contribution to a charity, and make sure your money is going to where it supposed to go....

Commentators

When they were talking about the game yesterday that is all they were mentioning was the trouble everyone was having. People just can't play the games they used to. Or was it prevelant before and we just didn't know about it? Seems all the best players are never satisfied with being the best they want more. It really hurts to know that this goes on. Being involved in soccer when I was married got to hear more than I cared to. At least it wasn't something about losing game intentionally. Doesn't that take something away from the game? Now I question whether US intentionally lost to other team. Who really knows. Lot of standing around.

Oh, I don't think the US team intentionally lost the game, they just weren't as good as their opponents!

Cara - you are right, the knowledge that he was a poor kid from the slums makes it all the more sickening that he would accept monies from the charity:( BTW, Switzerland 0 - France 0.... WHAT a disappointment from the likes of Zidane, Henry, Viera etc... :cool:

I'm turning into a football fan, I went to the England v. hungary friendly at Old Trafford on May31st (I think it was) it was fantastic. I am sooooooooo in love with Rio Ferdinand! (yes I have weird taste in men - just ask dh hehehe)

But, being Australian my first allegiance is to our Socceroos, and in fact I had the day off on Monday and watched the game. I take full credit for the three goals at the end of the game, I was shouting so loud!!

But when Oz get knocked out (she says pessimistically) I shall take my Aussie flag out of the window and replace with with the St George's Cross!

We have drawn Holland at work as our team. We have to decorate our desks with all things The Netherlands! So we are temporarily Oranjes, sorry!

I thought the socceroos did well, Kyles. Especially Cahill. Kewell and others are well-known to the UK because they play over here.

Listen, at least Australia made the finals. We didn't :( Still, got to cheer for T&T on Thursday!

As for Holland.... sorry, Cara, I'm still secretly backing them.:LOL:

The whole family(except moi) are all into the worldcup. DH and a few friends went to watch the England -Paraguay match. My kids want brazil to win(again)I would be happier with a team that hasn't won before. just to make it interesting.Cara, are you trading any panini stickers???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously the Poles came on pretty strong against the Germans last night... I hope Cara's still alive!!:-p

England 2 - Trinidad and Tobago 0..... Gallant Caribbean team - they were Scotland's favourite team :(

Licia, I am still alive - but it was hard... :mrgreen:
but it was a real good game...

yesterday we watched the evening ganes in the Biergarten.. is there a translation for it??

Jikoni, I'm not in the Panini-thing... but I know a few people... you looking for it?

Biergarten = Beer Garden, a very nice place to watch the football. One of our local pubs has a lovely beer garden.

I'm kinda watching Angola v. Mexico at the moment. I think it's a forgone conclusion, but I could be wrong!

kyles said:
Biergarten = Beer Garden, a very nice place to watch the football. One of our local pubs has a lovely beer garden.

I'm kinda watching Angola v. Mexico at the moment. I think it's a forgone conclusion, but I could be wrong!

24.gif

Mexico - Angola was a bit surprising... Angola did a good game.. and it was in Hannover.. :mrgreen:

Still rooting for England but they really will have to raise their game. I thought Angola played a blinder last night against Mexico.

What a game! U.S. v Italy today. Ended in a tie 1-1. Would have been good if the U.S. scored another goal, but hey they only had 9 men (stupid ref):mad: That ref was actually banned from the last world cup for "irregularities", so why let him ref another world cup is beyond me:wacko: Hopefully this was the ref's last game!

So the U.S. plays Gana (sp?) on Thursday and has to beat them, and Italy is playing Czech I think, and has to beat them. I'll be watching that game and have to tape it for hubby.

AAAARGH, stupid Zaccardo!!:bash: Now they left too much work to do for themselves, now after today I know the Czech squad is going to come out for kill against them, and with Italy demonstrating such tepid performance, there is a lot to worry about. Forza ragazzi... you guys can do much better than that!!

However, I have to give it to Casey Keller, I know him from EPL and he has been always a good goalie, but today he really did a great job.

Back
Top Bottom