What is your priority when you cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When you cook at home which do you place emphasis on ?

• To achieve good taste, try to imitate the restaurants

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Clean food, wash thoroughly to get rid of, eg, pesticides

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good presentation, look nice, look appetizing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cook healthily – try to maintain nutrients

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

EvelinneC

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

When you cook at home which do you place emphasis on ?

Thank you.

Evelinne

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to achieve several things. Making things that my family will eat and like. Making sure that it is prepared well, ie; clean and cooked to temp. Make it easy on the weekdays.

BTW, welcome to DC!!

I voted other because it depends on my mood. Sometimes I want to impress and/or experiment; sometimes I want to keep it simple. Either way I buy the freshest quality fish and/or seafood available.

Since I work in a restaurant, I almost always try to imulate what is cooked at work when I cook at home.

I just had to say "others"... I pay attention to a bit of all except trying to imitate the tastes of restaurants, but not to any extreme degree.

I just focus on the goal that everyone will enjoy the meal, and not forgetting to add..., how shall I say, if not "mother's", well, "Licia's" touch!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I dunno

If there was an all of above box I might have checked that with the exception of imitating restaurants. Presentation? Depends; I want it to look appetizing but I've no interest in creating fine art.

I don't try to imitate restaurants but I do always try to make good tasting food that looks good too.

I had to vote "other" because with perhaps the excaption of "try to imitate the restaurants" - I think all are equally important.

for me, it's presentation & flavor. our Chefs at school agree with that & also proper technique amongst other skills.

other/all of the above .. not that I'm imitating a restaurant, but I do fix good fresh ingredients in fine (gourmet) or international or whatever ways. I am not an open a can of this add it to a bag of that cook. Not I don't find some of those recipes acceptable or tasty. Many are. I just don't do it that way. That's not fun for me.

Taste. I usually serve it buffet style too, I don't bother dressing it up. All I care about is how my mouth and nose like it, not my eyes.

Cooking healthy is a primeary goal in my cooking. But if no one will eat it, then what's the difference? I also try to make it taste great, but not the way you get it at the restaurant. I will offer my food against Applebee's any day of the week! I also want it clean and free of pesticides and to be presented well.

If you are asking that if only one could be picked, which would it be, then making it nutritious comes absolutely first. That's what makes our bodies work. But I truly believe that all of the listed options are equally important in my kitchen.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I voted 'cook healthily,' and usually that's the case. I enjoy making and eating a well cooked meal, but try to save high fat meals for special occasions. Most often, I play with them to get the calorie content down.

I usually skimp on presentation and the only time I buy organic is when the organic produce is better.

MFtWorth, I agree with you. I voted other because taste is #1, but I sure don't imitate the restaurants. And I'm a firm believer that if you get the taste right, healthy is there. Mom taught me that if you have every color on your plate, and every food group represented, you have healthy. So flavor and appetizing are of primary importance. As someone already said, if no one wants to eat it, what's the point? Making the food appealing to your family and freinds is #1. IF the only thing they'll eat is deep-fried fast food, then I wouldn't bother to cook. Fortunately husband, other family, and freinds think things like salads from the garden and such are good food.

Goal

My priority in preparing a meal is to have it ready on time. When they all come to eat, I certainly better have the food ready or else they will ask, what I have been doing? I resent this question especially when you want to please at everything you do. Must be reason why this happens. Maybe when I was young I seemed to never be on time. Shameful, but true.

Back
Top Bottom