Fresh Copper River Sockeye Salmon Fillets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooh - thanks for the head's up!! I'll be in the vicinity of a Safeway that has a fresh seafood department (our little local one doesn't) on Tuesday. Look's like we'll be javing a Salmon night this week!!!!

I'm in Seattle and Costco here has whole CR Sockeye for 6.99 so I'd say go for it. If its flown in and is truely fresh - smells like sea water- then plan on at least 1/2# per person. Much of this years catch is about 1 1/2# per side slab. It has been so good, I'm afraid my skin may turn pink from the amount of over indulgence we;ve done.

Thanks, Robt - we only get farm salmon at the local Costco here in VA, so I'm a tad more interested in this Safeway offering. Thinikng maybe it's sometning I should not miss out on.............

We had some copper river salmon - filets - a few days ago and am sure that I paid close to $20 a pound. it is marvelous, grab all you can
Joyce

I'm sitting here, land-locked and heart-broken, thinking of how delicious that fish will be. I've never had anything but the canned. :(

ironchef said:
Bug, if you really want to do a test, get both the farm raised Atlantic crap and the Copper River, then cook them the same and try them side by side.
Ironchef has a good point, just don't waste too much money on that Atlantic Farm "FISH"; unlike its wild name sake itis still really mild tasting comparitivelyflavorless], that would be a good test to learn. The bad part is you might give up the only normal source for salman you have.

Now Ironchef, please give a comparison of the New Zealand King farm raised salman and the Atlantic that are both often available where you are [HI?].

By the by, if you can get it, in about a month, the Yukon River salmon return to so no salmon have more natural oils as no river is as long for the fish to swim without eating- son 2000+ miles.

Last edited:
Robt said:
Ironchef has a good point, just don't waste too much money on that Atlantic Farm "FISH"; unlike its wild name sake itis still really mild tasting comparitivelyflavorless], that would be a good test to learn. The bad part is you might give up the only normal source for salman you have.

Now Ironchef, please give a comparison of the New Zealand King farm raised salman and the Atlantic that are both often available where you are [HI?].

By the by, if you can get it, in about a month, the Yukon River salmon return to so no salmon have more natural oils as no river is as long for the fish to swim without eating- son 2000+ miles.

The New Zealand product is better, although of course not as good as Wild King. But would I use that over the Atlantic stuff? Absolutely.

ironchef said:
get both the farm raised Atlantic crap and the Copper River

pretty hard to tell which side of the bowling alley you are on, IC!! (I'm sure you meant to say crop instead :-p) I've had the farm version and am pretty sure the CR fish is gonna be a wee bit bettah.

Connie, wish you lived closer so I could share some with you.

was at costco today and there was wild copper river sockeye for sale at $8.99/pound, if anyone in joisey is interested.

Mudbug, you inspired me to create a new Copper River Salmon dish so I made this for dinner.

Seared Copper River Salmon on a sauteed appareil of Yukon Gold Potatoes, Watercress, and Assorted Japanese Mushrooms, and a Watercress-Truffle Vinaigrette.

Sorry Bucky, I didn't take a pic of the GF eating her scallops (she doesn't like salmon).

Attachments

• copper-river-salmon.jpg
    copper-river-salmon.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Ic, an honest question; The pix above appears to have the skin side up, why? How is one supposed to eat it? regardless of these minor points, it looks darn good.

If scallops is the reward for not eating salmon, what is the downside?

Robt said:
Ic, an honest question; The pix above appears to have the skin side up, why? How is one supposed to eat it? regardless of these minor points, it looks darn good.

If scallops is the reward for not eating salmon, what is the downside?

Just for presentation. The skin was crispy like bacon so if I plated it opposite of how I did it, the skin would end up being soggy.

I'm unfamiliar with Copper River salmon. I am fortunate enough to have a brother who lives on the coast though, so we will sometimes get some lovely King salmon when he goes fishing.

Salmon is probably my favorite fish. It is so flavourful. I posted a marinade for it a while ago that is killer on the BBQ. Think we have to have some this week. (Kate is going to gag when she reads this post. She loathes salmon...weird kid!)

Hmmm. I wonder if I've had it and just didn't know it. One of our friends went fishing in Alaska for salmon and brought home a boatload. He had both Sockeye and King.

Thanks for the link ironchef, it was very informative.

OK, related question. What type of salmon does everyone prefer? King? Sockeye? Some other type? I think my favorite has to be sockeye. The flavour is just more intense IMO.

Alix said:
What type of salmon does everyone prefer? King? Sockeye? Some other type?
My first choice would be Wild King, and then Wild Sockeye. I almost always pan sear these to get a good crust on the surface. But in general, pan searing is my 1st and 2nd choice of cooking method.

However if I'm going to grill salmon, or bring salmon to a BBQ, I'll try and get Wild Coho salmon because of the firm texture. It's less likely to fall apart on the grill when you cook it and/or try to flip it.

Mudbug, what did you wind up making? Waiting with "baited" breath. DO TELL!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom