Smoked trout and goat cheese puree

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quicklearner

Assistant Cook
Smoked trout and goat cheese pureed together, I'm in the process of deciding what sounds good using the puree in a sandwich. I need help with feedback as to what I've come up with, if it sounds good or not. This is what I'm thinking, using the puree as a spread on foccacia or ciabatta bread, maybe potato bread. Having grilled vegetables, tossed in balsamic vin. then grilled, red onion, egg plant, tomato, portabella, and something like watercress, sorrel, maybe spinach. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Last edited:
This is a great combination. I've made this with both goat cheese and cream cheese if I'm out of goat cheese, and it's great spread on foccacia or slices of fresh, warm french baguette. You can spread this on crackers too or a warm bagle. I prefer the baguette or foccacia. I like your idea for the veggies.

Not a fan of smoked trout here (fresh is totally different story), so maybe I'm off base, but it sounds like you've got a lot of strong flavors going there that would cancel each other out.

:chef: Not at all Mudbug. As I said, I've made this myself and it really is very good. Smoked trout shouldn't be so overpowering as to cancel out the goat cheese. You can also use cream cheese if you think goat cheese is too strong. Either way it's delicious.

I love smoked fish (which includes trout). But, I have to raise the question of "how" was the fish smoked? Cold smoked, in my experience, have a stronger "smoke" flavor than hot smoked. Thus, again just from my experience, cold smoked would stand up to something like a strong Feta (but since both the fish and cheese are on the dry side you might need to add a few tablespoons of cream to get a nice spread consistency), while the milder flavored "hot smoked" would probably work better with a more neutral flavored creamed cheese.

I think you have too many flavors and textures going on for a sandwich quick ... just MHO. I would replace the balsamic (maybe use it sparingly as a condiment if anything) with extra virgin olive oil for the grilling .. and narrow down the vegies a bit. I know that greens, red onion and tomato work great with a smoked fish pate/mouse/puree. Not sure about the eggplant or portabella - not only from the flavor side but also from the texture side.

Hey - I could be totally wrong! If it sounds good to you - give it a try and let us know how it turned out!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom