Hola from Puerto Vallarta!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MexicoKaren

Head Chef
What a great site you have here! So many good recipes and friendly people willing to share their good advice...my husband and I have recently retired, and we moved from the Pacific Northwest to beautiful Puerto Vallarta, Mexico a few months ago. Right now, we are in the middle of the hot and humid rainy season, and I haven't had the courage to fire up the gas oven in my stove since I got here. I normally love to bake, so one of these days soon I'll turn on the air conditioning for awhile and make some cookies or a Kentucky Butter Cake, our favorite.

Of course, I am fortunate to have access to some wonderful natural ingredients, especially fresh, ripe fruits and vegetables. Some of the items we all take for granted are hard to find - no 2% milk, no half and half, no low-fat anything. Baking soda is sold in the pharmacy as "bicarbonata". So maybe I will ask you for advice from time to time on recipe substitutions? Is there room here for a "foreigner"? And I would be happy to share what I am discovering about authentic Mexican cooking. Thanks! Karen

Hola Karen!! Great to have you with us:) I heard a lot of lovely things about Puerto Vallarta, it must be a beautiful place. We would love to hear some of your discoveries about the authentic Mexican cuisine, it's been a little more than 3 years since I came to Rome, and it has been a wonderful, interesting and tasty non stop learning experience about how the Italians really cook and eat...:) I bet you will experience the same thing with the Mexican food and it will be great if you can share some of them with us!!

And don't worry about not finding "low fat" anything... I used to be really dependent on those things, but I just forgot about them since I have been in Italy. And I am healthier and fitter than ever!! Believe me, as long as you continue to choose fresh, quality ingredients, keep your diet balanced and keep yourself physically active, you will be just fine!!:) :) :)

Welcome to the site Karen. We are so glad you joined us. I can't wait to hear about some of the Mexican food you make and eat.

Hi welcome to the group! I'm glad you're here.

We love Mexico and plan on spending lots of time there once
hubby decides to retire. Until then... a few weeks a year will have
to do.

ENJOY!

smiles, T

Thanks so much to all of you for your warm welcomes! As we approach Fourth of July celebrations and I attempt to put together something traditional, I may be asking for your help. For example, ALL the mayonaisse (mayonesa) here has lime in it..which makes it really very tasty, but I may have to make my own for the potato salad. We just bought a Weber gas barbecue, thinking it would be a good idea to cook outside as much as possible, and the chicken here is wonderful (they are fed marigolds, giving their skin a yellow hue), so we will likely be barbecuing chicken. Watermelon will not be a problem, either. I look forward to discussing the many fun parts of cooking with you over the coming months...Karen

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom