Soured milk, can I make anything with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat

Assistant Cook
i went on vacation last friday and forgot to use up the half gallon of milk in the fridge. come back today and it's gone sour. is there anything i can make with it, or just dump it out? i don't really want to waste the whole thing.

thanks-kat

If it is consistancy of butter milk then you can make pan cakes if not you probably can still use it to tenderise some meat, but make sure it doesn't have bitter taste.

It sounds like you probably have a jug of "spoiled" milk. Take a whiff - do you want that flavor in something you are going to eat? If not, toss it. It will not taste like buttermilk or sour cream - it will taste like it smells.

I have used soured milk to make cornbread if it isn't to far gone. If it's chunky I'd toss it.

If there was any milk that had just 'turned' my granny used it to make scones. But, not lumpy milk!

How about chocolate cake??? If the milk has been refrig. it can be soured but not poisoness to you. Soured milk was used on the farm for cottage cheese and other soft cheeses as well as lots of cooking. Milk was frequently left out to sour so it could be used for baking. Yogurt too.... low heating sours it... you can drink it too if you have a mind too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom