Green Bananas Won't Ripen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I bought some bananas last weekend that were very green. They always ripen over a few days but this time, five days later, they're still as green as can be. Does this mean they won't ripen or do I just need to be a little more patient?

My thoughts exactly Haggis ... if you want to use them up (and buy yellow'er ones to eat), you can slice and fry them similar to plantains since they are still so firm.

That happened to me once PAB. The never did turn yellow. They went from green to green with dark spots.

Open one up and taste it. See if it actually is ripe even though it is green.

I never had this problem with bananas, but some of the kiwi did that to me a couple of times. They just remained rock solid for what seemed to be forever, then, skipping the maturing process, they just shriveled up in the end...:(
After that I stay clear of those stone kiwis, and make sure they are at least partially mature...

Using a slicer toss them in a skillet and deep fry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and you have a snack to munch on!

Banana_chips.jpg

GB said:
That happened to me once PAB. The never did turn yellow. They went from green to green with dark spots.

Open one up and taste it. See if it actually is ripe even though it is green.

That seems to be what's happening this time. I have that problem often with fruit I buy at the grocery store, especially peaches and nectarines. I was told once it's because things are so refrigerated to ship them that they never do ripen. Another reason to buy local produce when I can (although I don't think I'll be finding local bananas)!

Back
Top Bottom