The difference between yellow cheddar and white cheddar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana Brain

Sous Chef
Its the color. Thats it. Read this, fourth paragraph, "White vs. Yellow". http://gremolata.com/andyshay04.htm My whole life is a lie. No, I'm just really shocked is all. I swear I can taste the difference when I buy "white cheddar" cheese products that are constantly hitting the shelves these days. But now that I've just looked up the ingredients of some products I like that come in both "cheddar" and "white cheddar", like Annie's Organic maceroni and cheese, I'm finding that the only difference in the ingredients of the "cheddar" is beta carotene. And according to the dictionary, beta caratone is just orange food dye. I know that on some "white cheddar" products, like rice cakes, I've found that the ingredients don't have cheddar cheese at all (they have semi-soft cheese with buttermilk) so perhaps thats just the "reputation flavor" white cheddar has gotten. But yellow cheddar was just white cheddar wearing orange pajamas all along. Man. I've even driven myself crazy trying to taste the differences between yellow cheddar and white and I swear I like white better. Or do I? Is beta caratone a placeboe? Is it tricking our tounges into tasting somethign we don't? I'm so upset.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it's just colored to be bright orange. Usually with annatto.

Some cheeses turn gold/orange when they are very well aged. And there is a big difference in taste. Gouda is an example. Cream colored when young and a deep gold when nicely aged.

Possibly the idea of coloring cheddar came from a desire for an unaged cheese to at least look aged. Though you won't see naturally aged cheese cheese look that bright orange carrot color.

What also upsets me is that I've been buying a sandwhich from our local starbucks/borders called "trukey and county white cheddar" and they've been convincing me that this sanswhich somehow has superiority to the "five cheese grilled cheese sandwhich", which features amoung other cheese yellow cheddar.

There are different grades of cheddar in both colors. So you could easily get a white that's either better or worse than a yellow.

There are so many different types of both yellow and white cheddar - a lot of how they taste has to do with how they actually 'make' the cheese - the cheddaring process. It also depends on how long the cheese was aged. You can't compare a yellow cheese from company A that's been aged 1 year to a white cheddar from company B that's been aged for 4 or 5 years.

As far as what Starbucks does in their advertising - I think you need to take it with a grain of salt - after all, marketing is what it's all about!:)

Beta carotene is more than just a food coloring - it is an antioxidant. But, I don't know if it has a "flavor" ... it might depending on it's source. As for yellow cheddar made with annatto having a different flavor - it's possible since achiote seeds (from the annatto tree) have a slightly musky-flavor. I don't know how much of either of these "food colorings" are used so I don't have a clue as to if, or how much, of a flavor they contribute to the flavor of the cheese. Even in very small amounts it may be enough that you can taste the difference where some other people can't.

However, I would guess that an even bigger factor in the flavor of the cheese would be the type of cow, the cow's diet, processing, and aging.

Andy M. said:
There are different grades of cheddar in both colors. So you could easily get a white that's either better or worse than a yellow.
Yeah I know, but the only difference defined by the color I mean.

Michael in FtW said:
Beta carotene is more than just a food coloring - it is an antioxidant. But, I don't know if it has a "flavor" ... it might depending on it's source. As for yellow cheddar made with annatto having a different flavor - it's possible since achiote seeds (from the annatto tree) have a slightly musky-flavor. I don't know how much of either of these "food colorings" are used so I don't have a clue as to if, or how much, of a flavor they contribute to the flavor of the cheese. Even in very small amounts it may be enough that you can taste the difference where some other people can't.

However, I would guess that an even bigger factor in the flavor of the cheese would be the type of cow, the cow's diet, processing, and aging.
I guess there could be some flavoring added in the oranging process, because I'm not the only one who tastes that extra... something in the yellow cheddar thats been aged for exactly the same time and temp. as a white.

Banana Brain said:
But yellow cheddar was just white cheddar wearing orange pajamas all along.

:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Sadly, Banana Brain, I'm in the same boat. I swear I like white cheddar better too. Maybe that's because turkey just looks better when paired with a paler cheese. I'm going to pretend there's a real difference. Wanna join me?

Since I like cheese of every conceivable sort, I'm going to do a "blind test" and see if I can tell.

jkath said:
:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Sadly, Banana Brain, I'm in the same boat. I swear I like white cheddar better too. Maybe that's because turkey just looks better when paired with a paler cheese. I'm going to pretend there's a real difference. Wanna join me?
Yes. White cheddar is better (hehe, rhyme) when you trick your mind.

licia said:
Since I like cheese of every conceivable sort, I'm going to do a "blind test" and see if I can tell.
Awesome. Please post back with the results when you do.

I'm partial to white extra sharp cheddar by cracker barrel, the orange sharp is not the same at all. The white is much drier, the orange is rubbery (more milk I guess?)

amber said:
I'm partial to white extra sharp cheddar by cracker barrel, the orange sharp is not the same at all. The white is much drier, the orange is rubbery (more milk I guess?)
Isn't cheese nothing BUT milk and salt? You said you had the white extra sharp and you only referred to the orange as "sharp", so I'm thinking they were aged for different amounts of time.

In my vast experience as a cheese girl at a specialty grocery store (where I was "sadly" required to taste every cheese before cutting and wrapping it:whistling), white cheddar often is drier than yellow cheddar. I don't know why that is...perhaps the additives that give yellow cheddar the color do a number on the texture.

But I doubt the taste difference is a result of the color psyching out your brain.

:smartass:In my experience (we did MANY cheddar tastings at the store), it takes a really fine, aged, extra-sharp yellow cheddar to compare in taste, but more in texture, to a middle-of-the-road white sharp cheddar (Black Diamond, a Canadian company, makes exquisite sharp white cheddar....and try their Reserve for an even sharper, decadent flavor! Cabot Farms also makes a fairly nice one.).

Oh my, this HAS taken me back to the days...(I had that marvelous job from age 16-19...and I am now 22 and missing it. :shock:Too bad it didn't pay better!)

The difficulty in comparing a white to a yellow cheddar is making sure they are both the same exact cheese except for the coloring. I'm guessing that's hard to do.

For example, using unmuzzleme's example, can you get a Black Diamond Reserve in both yellow and in white (both the same age) to do a valid taste test? Just going to a store and buying a yellow cheddar and a white cheddar and comparing isn't a proper comparison.

Coming from cheese country, I can tell you that all cheddar is white at "birth". After the curd is separated, they add the coloring to make yellow cheddar then pack it into bricks or wheels and let it age. Many local cheese houses leave a certain amount white, pack it and sell it as "Farmer's Cheese" since long ago, when farmers made their own cheeses using their unused cream, they left it white.

As far as the creaminess, it's the milk fat that is in the milk they are using. I like the Tillamook cheese in Oregon but it is certainly drier than the Wisconsin cheeses I buy here (comparing same sharpness and aged'ness). I'll tell you, the California cows may be happier but their milk is leanier. The milk that is produced here in WI is heavier with cream and thus makes creamier cheese. Even really well aged sharp is creamier.

It's funny this topic came up ... I am taking my SIL and 2 nieces to see cheese made tomorrow morning. I'll take copius notes and let you know ... :)

It depends on what quality of "cheddar" you're talking about.

If you're talking about a true well-aged imported English or artisinal American Cheddar vs. the rubbery blocks you buy at the supermarket, then you're comparing apples & oranges.

True well-aged cheddars, particularly the imported ones, can be quite yellow to a pale yellow-orange in color without any additives. The majority of the others do have coloring added - albeit normally a natural one such as Achiote, which is virtually flavorless.

Achiote coloring is used in a number of South American dishes. It is also used to color many commercial varieties of "yellow rice" in lieu of Saffron or Tumeric - both of which have definite flavors.

Andy M. said:
For example, using unmuzzleme's example, can you get a Black Diamond Reserve in both yellow and in white (both the same age) to do a valid taste test? Just going to a store and buying a yellow cheddar and a white cheddar and comparing isn't a proper comparison.

I agree. And Black Diamond, to my knowledge, does not make a yellow cheddar at all.

I believe you can get the Cabot in both Yellow and White, though my taste buds can't recall the difference, if there was any. I've compared Publix store brand block cheddars, however...white and yellow, both sharp. The white tastes a bit sharper, and has a slightly drier texture.

Back
Top Bottom