Need seasoning help with pot roast.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I have a beef rump roast and need help with what to season it with. I bought a McCormick packet, but, threw it away:wacko: Here is what I have in the cabinet. It's not a lot, but, hopefully all you cooks can help me come up with something that is good.

Salt and Pepper
Dry Sherry
Grill Mates - Montreal Steak
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Oregano
Corriander
Cream of Tartar
Ground red pepper
Ginger
Cumin
Marjoram leaves
Tumeric
Dry mustard
Worstershire
Basic condements too
Italian seasoning
And the basics like flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, cornmeal, cornstarch

I would make a dry rub out of the following:

Salt
Pepper
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Ground red pepper
Dry mustard

I would mix those up in equal proportions (with the possible exception of the salt. Depending on how much rub you use you might not want a ton of salt).

Rub a generous about into the meat. Wrap in plastic and park in the fridge for as long as you can afford to let the flavors penetrate the meat.

Thanks GB, unfortunately, I already put the roast in the crockpot when I realized that I didn't have the seasoning packet. OOPS!! LOL

Add some Italian Seasoning and some garlic. fresh onions if you have them and a half cup of the dry sherry. Lots of ground black pepper asnd some Worcestershire sauce.

thier1754 said:
In a pinch, onion soup mix works well.

Same here, thier. Lipton's dry onion/mushroom soup mix is a staple here for pinches. The Savory herb & garlic is good on chicken for cp dishes. The potatoes and veggies come out very tasty. If you have it, red wine (and Italian seasonings) or freshly brewed coffee enhances the flavor. I make little slits throughout the roast and insert garlic cloves.

Last edited:
When I make a pot roast, I always brown it well first. I add a small amt of liq.i.e. water or wine. I add whole or chopped/sliced onions and garlic. A TBS or so of Better than Bullion beef flavor. I add fresh herbs too as it gives a nice flavor i.e. oregano, margeram, basil, tarregon, etc. Depends what I have in the garden. I take out the meat when finished to add potatoes and carrots to cook but add the meat back to reheat. This is done in a large pan on the stove at very low heat not a slow cooker. You can adjust seasonings.

texasgirl said:
I have a beef rump roast and need help with what to season it with. I bought a McCormick packet, but, threw it away:wacko: Here is what I have in the cabinet. It's not a lot, but, hopefully all you cooks can help me come up with something that is good.

Salt and Pepper
Dry Sherry
Grill Mates - Montreal Steak
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder
Oregano
Corriander
Cream of Tartar
Ground red pepper
Ginger
Cumin
Marjoram leaves
Tumeric
Dry mustard
Worstershire
Basic condements too
Italian seasoning
And the basics like flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, cornmeal, cornstarch

:chef: Just use the basic do not over season the meat

2 Bay leaves
Garlic Powder Not Garlic Salt
Tyme
Onions
Ground Cayenne Pepper ( Not too much )
Salas Mild or Hot your choice
1 pkg. Onion Soup Mix

Last edited:
The last chuck roast we did I just used Montreal Steak seasoning. It's got a lot fo the things you would use separately. In addition onion and garlic are good too.

Add a lot of onions, beef bouillion granules or cubes, garlic powder, can of tomato paste. Water to come up the sides.

the best pot roast i have made with no left overs every time
to approx a 3# roast add
1- can beef broth add some water till roast is half cover or use alll beef broth.
2-3 gloves of garlic
1 large onion cut into thick slices and lay onto of meat. or i have gotten the pearl onions and put in whole (handful)
2- sprigs of fresh rosemary or a tablesppon of dry
1 -sprig of fresh thyme ir a tsp of dry
approx 6-8 carrots cut into large chunks.
4-5 potatoe cut in lg chunks.
i have also put in parsnip or turnips to on occasionally
salt and pepper
cover with foil tight and let it cook till almost done and then uncover last 20 mins.
then strain the broth and make gravy and you won't belive the gravy you get. very tasty.

Andy M. said:
Add some Italian Seasoning and some garlic. fresh onions if you have them and a half cup of the dry sherry. Lots of ground black pepper asnd some Worcestershire sauce.

I ended up doing what Andy said. The Sherry gave it such a wonderful flavor!!

sounds good tg, and andy. i'm gonna have to try that next time.

i made a chuck pot roast, actually 2 medium sized roasts, together in the crock pot while i was on vacation recently.

i rubbed with lots of s&p, then heavily browned the roasts on all sides in light olive oil before putting into the crock pot. a yellow onion was quartered and tossed in, as well as 4 or 5 whole garlic cloves. then i added about a half of a bottle of cab sauv, using a little to deglaze the pan used for browning and putting that in as well, and a cup of the liquid left over from rehydrating shiitake mushrooms, so that the liquid level was about half way or a little more up the roasts. it was set to low for 2 hours.
i turned the roasts, added 2 more quartered sweet onions, baby carrots, and a bundle of fresh parsley, thyme, and bay leaves. set the crock pot to high for another hour or so.
the meat was amazingly tender, and the gravy (reduced remaining liquid, added flour slurry) and veggies were delicious.

Back
Top Bottom