What do you pay for a babysitter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Sofie's now 8 months old (as of today *snif*) and my parents are the only babysitters she's ever had. We're thinking of trying her out with a babysitter, for a brief afternoon--we'll go out to lunch maybe. We have someone in mind we'll ask, the daughter of my mom's friend. She's going into college and works another job but loves kids so still likes to sit when she can. With Sof still being so young, I like that she's a little older.

What do babysitters charge these days? The last I knew, when I was sitting in junior high, I made $2 an hour plus all the soda I wanted to drink!:rolleyes: I have a feeling it's a little different these days! :LOL:

My wife and I have paid a girl of similiar age $6-7/hour. It may seem like a lot, but we really trust the girl, and my son loves her. And what is peace of mind worth to you? Besides, if we give her the call, she will be over in minutes!

I am curious as well PAB. I remember earing $2 an hour too.

I was talking with a co-worker yesterday who just hired her first babysitter. She is paying her $10 an hour, but she said that the others were closer to $15. For that price the better bring their own snacks :LOL:

Happy 8 month birthday Sophie!!!

I don't know... occasionally I watch Cris's kids at their house when their mother needs to go out or do something. She always offers to pay but I just can't accept that. This question makes me sort of curious how much she is actually willing to shell out though... but I don't think I ever gonna figure it out:angel:

When I was babysitting I just told the parents to pay me whatever they felt was a reasonable price. So it always varied for me.

I pay $80 per week for my 3 year old at a registered home. He's there from 7:00 a.m. and I pick him up at 6:00 p.m. when I work during the school year.

I pay upwards of $8 to $10 per hour depending on how long we're gone and the situation. I also leave enough money for food delivery in case there's nothing in the fridge.

Hi PA. I think probably her age and experience have a lot to do with it. We paid our neighbor $2/hour for babysitting Aidan. She hadn't sat before and she was only 12. We gave her a raise shortly after. Now that theres 2 kids (and Callum being so young) we get her & her mom to watch the kids. They've told us not to pay them anything but we always still offer. I think the best thing is just to sit and talk to your sitter, that's what we did. See what you both think is fair. That way, everyone is happy.

I wish I lived nearby, I'd do it for nothing! I like other people's kids!

Banana Brain

Nowadays it seems standard- at least here- to give the babysitter a reasonable salery. When I was a kid my mom would give the babysitter working minimum wage of $6.50 an hour. But we were a really rough bunch anyways, and if I were babysitting us I wouldn't have done it for less than ten.

Around here, college aged kids make around $10 per hour. Something to consider too: ask if they also regularly babysit other kids as well. If they do, you may want to look elsewhere. Reason being that if they're babysitting little Johnny who has green sludge coming out of his nose, guess what Sofie will have in 48 hours? ick.

I'm lucky now - my older boy is 13, so I pay him to watch his brother if I have an appt or other obligation. He charges me $1.50 per hour. I told him if he keeps up the good work, once he's 14, he can charge double that for any of my friends who need sitters. (they can't wait!)

PA Baker said:
Sofie's now 8 months old (as of today *snif*) and my parents are the only babysitters she's ever had. We're thinking of trying her out with a babysitter, for a brief afternoon--we'll go out to lunch maybe. We have someone in mind we'll ask, the daughter of my mom's friend. She's going into college and works another job but loves kids so still likes to sit when she can. With Sof still being so young, I like that she's a little older.

What do babysitters charge these days? The last I knew, when I was sitting in junior high, I made $2 an hour plus all the soda I wanted to drink!:rolleyes: I have a feeling it's a little different these days! :LOL:

I think the going rate is about $5-$6 per hour for high school kids. If I had to do it over again, and could afford it, I wouldnt have a stranger babysit. I've done the registered daycare for a set fee each week, I've done the elderly woman, I've done the college age person. None of it was good according to my daughter. I wouldnt use a babysitter for a baby that cannot talk unless they are a reliable family member.

PA, I teach babysitting courses to 12 year olds and here they start at about $2 - $3 per hour per child. As they get older they may up their rates.

Couple of thoughts for you:
- ask for references, and CHECK them.
- interview your sitter, and meet their parent
- make sure whoever you hire has had some kind of training in the basics

Good luck!

Jess my 14 yr old babysits for her sister's friends (6 year olds and their siblings) she gets $7 an hour australian but I know of people paying older girls $10-15. Jess is very sensible and competent and used to younger children so the families she sits for are very happy and use her regularly although now that she works at McDonalds she hasn't as much time.At McD's she gets $6.50 an hour.
Sometimes I think someone sensible around 14 can be better than an older girl with a boyfriend who may spend the whole time on the phone or sneak him in. I would make sure the person had experience with young children and got on well with sofie when you were there before you leave her.
Congrats on 8 months! Riley is 8 weeks today, doesn't it go far too fast??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom