Are We Really the Nicest, Friendliest, etc.?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't surf forums like ours much at all, and I hear many of you saying how much better this board is than others.

Everybody here seems to get along pretty well most of the time, but is that so rare?

Not looking for greener pastures or anything like that. Honestly just wondering. Is the Internet really so ill-natured in general that DC stands out as a shining exception?

I visit other forums unrelated to cooking, and for the most part they are good. This is the only food forum I visit so I have nothing to compare it to. When foodnetwork had a forum, I only went on a few times, and there were problems apparently with "trolls" and thus the reason they decided to discontinue their chat forum.

:) Eveybody is nice here.Once in a while there is a little squabbling but its more like siblings do.I think alot of us that came over from the foodtv forums wanted alot nicer forums than what we witnessed there.

If I can be frank here for a miniute, This place is FAR superiour to some of the other forums I was on. I have all but abandoned on of the "other sites" for DC.

To the frank part, no harm intended, but Craigslist food forum is, by far, the most horrible, negative, nasty, negative, and a few explitives I will spare, food related site I have EVER encountered. With the exceptions of a few people on there, everyone was a complete a**! Always negative, and very condisending. Very rarly was any advice offered that was usefull, mainly it was alot of smartA** remarks, and bashing...JMO.

DC>All...

Mudbug,
having jumped ship after getting sick to death of bashing, people who only got up each morning so they could see how miserable they could make someone , seeing who they could force to leave the board, little ploys like being friendly, and geeting someones pass word then locking them out of their own setup, getting people to send around pictures so everyone could see what we looked like then refusing to send the pictures back, I got out of there. You couldn't ask the people like the moderators for help, they just patted you on the head or were nasty and refused to do anything to the problem makers..When I came here it took me a good 3 week or more to even open my mouth...Of course, you all were nice and kind, and now you have to listen to me yak all the time..But, I really had a hard time believing this place wasn't a dream..We have a beautifuly run forum here, with great people..I'd never ever consider another food forum ...We can thank all the site helpers,moderators,administrators and ourselves for a place we can gather and enjoy without fear. Yep I've seen a squabble or two, but, they seem to go as fast as they appear..wonder why? I don't, we might squabble, but we truly care about each other.

kadesma:)

I have been on some very nice forums, and moderate a couple non-cooking boards. Some are larger forums than this and some are small. There are occasional trolls, moreso on more popular topic forums than cooking ones, but if you have decent moderators, it's not a big problem from what I can tell. I only went to the Food TV one occasionally, and never posted there. Apparently they didn't want to appoint a moderator, so they just chucked it.

BC

I frequented a political message board that became, before it disappeared, almost consumed by trolls and by those who seemed more interested in personal attacks than in discussion. We have developed a new site that so far seems more above board. Neither site, though, by almost unanimous agreement, has what you call "moderators," which I assume are those who have the ability to censor. Perhaps most members of a politically based forum feel that their freedom to express themselves is paramount.

In any case, I have been so impressed and pleased with this site...for all of my one week or so of membership. :rolleyes: What seemed like a lot of overwhelming bells and whistles have come in very handy. I couldn't believe that I could edit my own comment after posting it and discovering that I made a dumb mistake.

My only slight, truly slight, discomfort is something that just can't be helped: Joining an existing and successful forum in which people have already bonded and have formed friendships can make one feel a bit like an outsider. As a well-known contributor on the political site I mentioned, I used to hear that "complaint" from newbies. They would refer to us regulars as a clique. I have an inkling now of how they felt. It shall pass.

There do seem to be an "old guard" here who know each other very intimately, but they are pretty nice to everyone for the most part. I still avoid some topics that seem to be only for them, but that's going to happen from time to time.

BC

yes, it is a different sort of site. if it weren't for my student portal, wikipedia, etc., i'd scrap this internet. some sites are ridiculous.
due to our mods, we are clean & tidy.

Last edited:
I've been on two other forums where some members made them nasty and unpleasant. I left the first one and the second closed.

This site is better by far than the others.

Yes, this is a very "kind and gentle" site, compared to others.

In fact, I am kinda surprised at times by people being offended by what I consider mild language, innocuous opinions, and pretty humorous posts.

Lee

Wouldn't it be a bit hard to fight on a cooking forum? I mean, a serious fight. We never talk about anything people get offended or defensive about, like on a politics forum or even a movie forum.

Banana Brain said:
Wouldn't it be a bit hard to fight on a cooking forum? I mean, a serious fight. We never talk about anything people get offended or defensive about, like on a politics forum or even a movie forum.

Hahaha....you have obviously never met some of my beloved family members. They could fight about who should pass the salt. But seriously, people can get defensive and mean about any topic, so kudos to any site on which such stuff is rare.

I don't have expertience with forums in english . This is the only one i visit. I'm not very active, I feel more comfortable in french but i like to read you and have no problems to understand:)

This is the first forum i have belonged to, hubby belonged to a band forum for The White Stripes and that could get pretty nasty but then again he gives as good as he gets. I joined a pregnancy and baby forum this year and was stunned at how nasty and rude people could be. In my limited experience this is the most caring forum around.:)

The Internet provides a great, anonymous place for some people to criticize, be rude, bash, whatever. Also allows for the trolls, the true sickies, to pop in and cause havoc.

I'm a member of a diverse number of forums; from a Shiloh SHepherd one, to a medical transcription one, and a spinal cord injury one. THe only one that is as well moderated as DC is the Shiloh one. The others are full of backbiting, sniping, stabbing, whatever; the reason? Lack of moderation, and very little moderation.

Banana - you'd be surprised at the 'food fights' that can develop over things like technique, whose recipe is 'correct', ingredients, etc.!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom