How do you grocery shop for staple pantry items?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When do you shop for staples?

• On a specific time frame - eg every three months

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kyles

Head Chef
I'm a "buy it before I run out" shopper, where as dh lets something run out before shopping. (Annoys me no end, I go to use sugar or flour and find theres none left)

What do you do?

I tend to buy before I run out. However, there are those occasions where I write down something I need to pick up and forget and next time I reach for that item I realize I don't have enough and ultimately have to make a run for the store.

I get things when they're nearly out. (I can't imagine ever running out of something like coffee - eek!) I just keep a list on the fridge and grab it & add it to my market list for my week's menu.

Hmmmmmmmmm I notice a gender thing here, any guys coming to answer to prove me wrong???? Hehehehehe

We usually get them when they are getting low in our stock, something like flour and sugar we try to keep at least one extra bag. However occasionally mishaps occur, when we just take it for granted that we have the extra supply in our cupboard while they are indeed all gone, and we notice the truth when we decide to make a cake or something at midnight (being a couple of nightowls, it happens more often than you guys may think!!) :ohmy:

Living out in the country, I shudder to think that I may run out of a staple!!!! Plus, I tend to hoard certain foodstuff on the chance that I won't be able to get to town before it is used up. DH understands my thinking but he does let things run out first.

I don't drive anymore, so I have to count on others to either take me, or do my shopping for me. My husband has become a good shopper, and he often buys two or more of a much used item so we don't run out.
But once in a while I need to go with him, to see what new products are available, or find items that inspire me.

He hasn't had a day off in almost two weeks, so other than picking up milk, we haven't had a chance to do any major shopping. But thanks to my freezer and extensive pantry, we are doing fine.
It's actually so hot that the thought of loading and unloading groceries is not a happy prospect. We'll just use what we have.

Depends for me too. If I notice that it's low and it's something that I use a lot of, I will get it on my next shopping trip. If it's not something that I use often, I won't buy it until it's gone and I need it again.

Definitely we are the buy before you run out people.

We were both raised with parents who lived through the Depression, and neither of us wants to be found short of food.

That attitude is ingrained in us.

So we make our periodic runs to Costco or BJ's and stock up.

Our basement has several cabinets just filled with canned, dried, boxed food.

If they stopped selling food we could probably live for a year.

Just an attitude we were exposed to as children, but it sure has shaped our behavior.

kyles said:
I'm a "buy it before I run out" shopper, where as dh lets something run out before shopping. (Annoys me no end, I go to use sugar or flour and find theres none left)

What do you do?

Like yourself, Kyles, I never wait till I run out. My pantry is chock-full of a variety of foods. If I can't always get fresh, I like the option of reaching in and having a sub, and not having to go to the store for one or two ingredients. I don't do a lot of baking, so flour I don't stock up on. Re sugar, don't use a lot of it, but, I keep it in the fridge. (I have a thing about bugs.) When I drank coffee, I kept that in the fridge as well. My concern, is that I should really rotate, and use up and check expiration dates.

Last edited:
I buy staples long before I'm close to running out. Since I cook almost exclusively with extra-virgin olive oil, I buy it by the gallon fron Costco, & always have 2 gallons on hand - one in use, & one on standby. Toilet paper, paper towels, plastic trash bags, & cat litter are also Costco staples. Other staples like pasta, rice, canned whole & diced tomatoes, canned beans, etc., I buy at the supermarket; usually picking up a couple of cans every time I shop whether I need them or not - especially if there's a sale.

It's actually very rare that I run out of a pantry staple.

For items I think have unlimited shelf life; salt, liquor, paper and plastic: when a brand I like goes on sale I'll buy enough to last a couple years or more.

Items with limited but long shelf life; whole canned tomatoes, all purpose flour, dried whole kernel corn, green coffee beans, vinegars etc.: I'll stock up on well before they run out but try to limit the quantity on hand to a one year supply.

Whole grain flours, spices, seeds, nuts, and olive oil: I try to replace just before I run out without worrying about if they're on sale.
By far, most of my grocery shopping is done in the produce, dairy and meat & fish sections of the store.

I never buy any staple items until I've run out and then realize I need it. I sometimes don't buy milk until after having to go through eating a bowl of dry cereal.

Back
Top Bottom