Hey, dinner tonight (7/21) anybody?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suzyQ3

Washing Up
Unless I missed it, I didn't see my favorite thread so far.... the "what are you dining on tonight" thread...so....

We're grilling a porterhouse and some asparagus and throwing on some La Brea Bakery rolls...and of course a nice red.

And you?

We had pizza tonight. I had spinach, tomatoes, and mushrooms on mine, and white wine on the side :LOL:

We're debating. We have leftover Mahi Mahi from the other night that is melt-in-your mouth delicious. But we were also thinking about grilling some shrimp.
Thing being, we've had a big storm move through here, and we're not sure if it's finished.
We're lucky...we have power (and air-conditioning), but most of the town is without electricity. A big semi was over-turned on the interstate, and there are a lot of trees down. North of us, there was considerably more damage, but it was straight line winds, not tornadoes.
We got almost 2 inches of rain in about 30 minutes.
You'd think that would cool things off, and I guess it has a little, but the air is so thick with humidity you could cut it with a knife.

We're having grilled flank steak open faced sandwiches on soft french rolls, buttered with an herb butter and topped with carmalized onions and warm sour cream and horseradish sauce, crab/shrimp salad, and ice mango tea. No dessert it's toooooo hot...

kadesma:LOL:

I saw a wild rice salad on Paula's show today so I am fixing that, but with chicken added for a full meal.

Right now it is 7/22 here so hope this counts?? lolol

For our dinner it is gonna be backup sushi not required at a lunch we catered today. I will put together some miso soup and that should do us with a few tamarillo's and mandarines for afters. Hmmmm....maybe a wee scoop of lemongrass and ginger icecream too. :)

Michelemarie said:
A cook after my own heart! :) We had chili - my crown royal on the rocks will be dessert!:-p

Crown Royal on the rocks is a favorite of mine. I tend to drink it in the cooler months. Summertime calls for G & T.

I made a spaghetti sauce with Italian sausage served over whole wheat spaghetti noodles. On the side I had a small bowl of unsweetened applesauce. I wanted to cook some zucchini, but I figured I had made enough mess of the kitchen.

what brand of whole wheat spaghetti do you buy sc?

i like bionaturae, and dw has found a few really good ones recently. you can hardly tell it's whole wheat. i'll have to take note of the brands.
we eat pasta about every other day in our house, so i'm trying to switch to whole grains.

tonight, i wanted to use up some pork chops and chicken breasts in the fridge, and the spinach from the garden, so i wilted a large bag in evoo in my wok down to about 3 cups, and used it to make a coupla stuffings for breasts and chops.
one stunk, but the other was a huge hit.

the stinker was wilted spinach, fresh sage, american cheese, and toasted walnuts, stuffed into 2 boneless/skinless chicken brests. the sage was overpowering, the cheese disappeared, and the walnuts didn't seem to fit. i scraped out the breasts, and fed the remainder to the outdoor cats.

the winner, which i stuffed into 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts and 2 thick cut pork rib chops, consisted of about 2 cups of chopped wilted spinach, 5 wedges of laughing cow light swiss cheese, and about 2 inches of chorizo - diced, and s&p. i blended it with a fork until the cheese was well incorporated into the spinach and chorizo, then stuffed it into the slits in the meat. they were quickly seared in light olive oil and 2 large cloves of sliced garlic, then put into a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, drizzling the garlic and oil that remained in the pan over top. they were really delicious, especially the pork chops. the pork fat with the stuffing was incredible.

dw asked me to make it into a pasta dish for tomorrow, so i'm gonna make the spinach mix again, then toss it with freshly cooked, still hot angel hair, a spoonfull or 2 of the pasta water, halved grape tomatoes from the garden, and a drizzle of evoo, s&p. maybe a little fresh chopped basil over top.

Last night husband got home late, so I just threw together chili using one of the commercial seasoning "kits", but subbing ground turkey for the usual ground beef, & Extra-Hot Rotel canned tomatoes for the tomato sauce. Also added a can of dark-red kidney beans, of course.

Very spicy, but delicious & quick.

I had to work so we went to a local resturant in town and I had the pastsa cavatinni, garden salad and garlic bread......I think thats how its spelt. Now I need to go see if I can find a similar recipe that I can tweak to my taste.

Back
Top Bottom