Simple pork loin recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vagriller

Head Chef
I am looking for a simple pork loin recipe. I might make this for company on Saturday, but don't want to spend all day doing it. I would prefer to grill it, but the crockpot would work too. Suggestions? Side dishes to go with it?

The pork loin is geat on the grill.

You can rub some spices on it and let it sit overnight. Brush it with oil and grill on all sides over high heat to brown it. Then turn down the heat and cook it at a lower temperature (350-400F) until it reaches an internal temperature of 150F.

A couple ideas for you -

LUAU PORK LOIN
Serving Size : 12

6 lbs. boneless pork loin roast (double loin -- rolled, tied) (6 to 7)
1 jar baby food peaches -- (7 3/4 oz)
1/3 cup catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 T. soy sauce
1 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. garlic powder

Insert spit thru center of roast, using prongs to hold meat in place. Insert meat thermometer at slight angle so bulb is centered in roast.
Place on rotisserie and cook over low glowing coals 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. or until meat thermometer reads 150 F degrees.
Meanwhile, in small pan, combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
Brush roast with sauce several times during last 1/2 hour of cooking. Serve with remaining sauce.

Description:
"Especially good when roast has marinaded 2 days in teriyaki sauce before roasting."

Serving Ideas : -----
This roast can also be done in a 350 F oven, basting with the sauce every 1/2 hour or so.

----------

BBQ MACARONI SALAD

16 ozs macaroni -- cooked -- salad
1/2 c red onion -- minced
7 3/4 ozs marinara sauce
1 1/2 c celery -- chopped
1 c sweet pickle relish
4 ozs black olives -- chopped or sliced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 c mayonnaise -- or miracle whip
salt and pepper

Mix together the marinara sauce, celery, relish, olives & chili powder. Add the cooked macaroni & onion, combine gently.
Cover and refrigerate a few hours or overnite.
When ready to use mix in the mayo and salt & pepper.

NOTES : This salad will keep in the frig a week and just gets better & better!

-----

COLUMBIA RIVER COLE SLAW

6 Tbsps mayonnaise
2 Tbsps mustard - French's
2 Tbsps sugar
2 Tbsps honey
2 Tbsps vinegar -- cider
4 Tbsps evaporated milk
3/4 tsp horseradish
1 tsp poppy seed

Mix all together and add to:
cabbage, shredded
currants
crushed pineapple
gr. onions
-------

RICE KRISPIES ICE CREAM CRUNCH CAKE

6 ozs Chocolate chips
1/3 c peanut butter
3 c Rice Krispies®
1/2 gal vanilla frozen yogurt -- (or ice cream)

Melt choc. chips & p.butter together in lg. pan or bowl; add cereal.
Spread on cookie sheet & cool; break up cereal mix. into small pieces.
Soften Ice cream; fold in all but 1/2 cup of cereal mixture & spread in
springform pan.
Use remaining 1/2 cup cereal mix. to make decorative topping, then
freeze.
Garnish w/whipped cream & strawberries, if desired.
---

Can't get much easier than that menu!! have fun!

Thanks Andy! I might give that a whirl. How long approximately should it take at the lower temperature? I know there are many variables, just looking to get an idea before I commit to it.

Don't do it in a crockpot, it's too lean. I like cjs's ideas for sides but also consider a cold fruit compote. Apples are classic with pork, but something with peaches and blueberries are in season right now and would be deelish as well.

After browning the roast on all sides, turn off one of the burners on the grill and move the roast over the 'off'burner with the lid closed. If it's a charcoal grill, move the coals to one side and put the meat on the other. It should be done in an hour or less. Don't take this time as a hard and fast number. Use the instant read meat thermometer to make the final determination.

My grill has a thermometer. I keep the grill temp at around 400F. after the browning is done.

Andy M. said:
After browning the roast on all sides, turn off one of the burners on the grill and move the roast over the 'off'burner with the lid closed. If it's a charcoal grill, move the coals to one side and put the meat on the other. It should be done in an hour or less. Don't take this time as a hard and fast number. Use the instant read meat thermometer to make the final determination.

My grill has a thermometer. I keep the grill temp at around 400F. after the browning is done.

Thanks Andy! It looks like I might be making this for next weekend's company.

I make a simple marinate for the pork loin consisting of olive oil, garlic, soy or Worcheshire (sp?) sauce, rosemary, and a splash of Marsala wine. (You may add any other herbs you like.) I marinate the pork for at least an hour and then roast it in the oven at 375º until it tests done. My favorite side is couscous -- while pork cooks, saute some chopped onions, garlic, any other veggies you have on hand (carrots, chopped broccoli, green beans, etc.) in olive oil. When they are tender crisp, add chicken broth and couscous as per directions on package. Other suggestions for sides: roasted veggies (potatoes--sweet and/or white, onions, peppers, carrots, etc. tossed in olive oil and spices), a crisp Waldorf salad, sliced tomatoes with fresh basil and a drizzle of olive oil,fruit salad, fried rice, whipped sweet potatoes, chunky applesauce. Let us know how your dinner turns out!

Well, I finally grilled the pork loin last night. That was so easy! I just rubbed it down 30 minutes before grilling with salt, pepper, Montreal steak seasoning, and a little Cajun Shake. Then I threw it on the hot grill with some burgers. I almost had an emergency when the burgers caught fire (a note on grill safety below!). Anyway, the pork turned out great, and was done so fast I didn't have time to finish with sauce/glaze. Actually I should have pulled it off 10 minutes earlier because it reached an internal temp of 155. I will begin looking for more sales of pork loin immediately.

**** On Grill Safety ****

Never leaves burgers unattended! The grease may catch fire and burn your pork loin to ash.

Clean out the catch pan (if you have one) on your grill regularly!

I know, this is an older thread, but just registered, so it is new to me!
My favorite way to cook a pork loin is to stuff a whole Polish sausage in the middle and just rub with s &p.
Bake in the oven and when half way done, brush all over with honey mustard. By the time it's done there will be a wonderful, browned crust on it.
This is not only tasty, very nice looking too when sliced.
Like it warm, cut thick, or sliced thinly and use as a cold cut. Great with potato salad

There is nothing wrong with doing a pork loin in the crockpot. You could do this one in it--it is a braise. I have totally given up on pork loins for roasting. they are just too lean and if you even slightly overcook them with dry heat they are tasteless and dry. Try this braise. It is absolutely delicious.

Braised Pork Loin with Apples and Onions
Serves 4​
2 lbs center cut pork loin, trimmed to remove any excess fat and silver skin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground sage or poultry seasoning (I used poultry seasoning)
2 tsp grape seed oil (this was used because of its high smoke point, and also to reduce the "bad" fat)
2 large sweet yellow onions (Vidalia, 1015, etc) peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
1 cup of dried apple slices, halved (try to get unsulfered, if available)
2 cups chicken stock (I use Swanson or Pacific, low fat)
1 large can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4" to 1/2" thick
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Adjust the rack to the lowest position. Season the pork all over liberally with salt, ground pepper, and sage or poultry seasoning. Heat a large stewpot that has a tight-fitting lid, on high heat. (I used a Le Creuset pan, which worked quite well.) When hot, add the oil and brown the pork loin in the oil, all over, until deep golden brown. Remove the roast from the pot and set aside. Reduce heat to medium.
Add onions to the pot and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize and turn brown, about 8 minutes. Add the dried apples, chicken stock, and apple juice concentrate to the onions in the pot and stir. Put the pork roast back in the pot and bring the pot to boil on the stovetop. Put the lid on the pot and put the pot in the preheated oven. Cook pork, covered, for approximately 1 hour. (I found this cooking time to be much too long...check at about 30 minutes). Remove the cover from the pot and add the Granny Smith apples and stir. Baste the roast with the pan juices. Return the pot to the oven, uncovered, and cook 1 hour more, basting occasionally with the pan juices (again, I think this cooking time was too long; you don't want to overcook the pork until it dries out.) Remove pot from the oven.
If the sauce seems too watery, place the pork on a cutting board and cover with a loose foil tent, and place the pot back on the stove on high heat and boil the juices down until they are syrupy, stirring as necessary so the apples and onions don't stick. Omit this step if there is little liquid in the pot. (I didn't find this step necessary.) Taste sauce and correct seasonings if needed.
Slice pork and place it on a serving platter, surrounded with apples and onions and drizzled with pan juices.

--------------------------------

mitmondol said:
I know, this is an older thread, but just registered, so it is new to me!
My favorite way to cook a pork loin is to stuff a whole Polish sausage in the middle and just rub with s &p.
Bake in the oven and when half way done, brush all over with honey mustard. By the time it's done there will be a wonderful, browned crust on it.
This is not only tasty, very nice looking too when sliced.
Like it warm, cut thick, or sliced thinly and use as a cold cut. Great with potato salad

I haven't done that since the 80s...but it's time to bring that 'oldie but goodie' back out. :)

Yum, Adrienne! :chef:

A long time ago, i created this pork roast for a Boursin contest.

Butterfly the pork loin and spread honey mustard on the exposed surface. Then spread pepper Boursin. follow that with sauteed spinach. Now roll up the roast and tie as you would for a tenderloin. Rub the outside with olive oil and salt and pepper, and roast in a 375 degree oven to an internal temp of 130 degrees F. Residual heat will cook the meat the rest of the way.

Bon Appetit!

June, Adrienne, both those sound good....heck, they all sound good. jkath, is that a Meyer lemon on your avatar? I have one growing in a pot out front as we speak...a persian lime and bay tree too.

Back
Top Bottom