What's your favourite hot dog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Tattrat's post on the 7/11 hot dog got me curious. Somehow, this country split in a variety of directions when it comes to what we put on them to how we cook them. I have tried to have a 'city special' whenever I travel so I get the true flavour. So far I've had San Fran, Chicago, Boston, NYC, and a Lucky Dog down in the quarter.

My preference is a Sabrette, boiled, and served with brown mustard and sauerkraut. If I can actually get one from a cart in the city, it's heaven. Second would be a grilled Deitz & Watson with brown mustard, lettuce, tomato and a pickle. Nathan's from Coney Island is in a class all it's own.

I've had veggie dogs, turkey dogs, chicken dogs and 'meat' dogs, in addition to the all beef dog.

What about you?

Uhh...7/11 cheeseburger big bite, with chili, cheese, salsa, and onions. From any city with a 7/11.

I guess I've got an uncultured palate though.:LOL:

I agree with Vera, one off the cart with brown mustard and sauerkraut but here in NC, that is impossible to find. (for me anyway) (There are things I do miss about NY)
I buy Sabrett or Nathan's and either boil or grill.

I really don't like hot dogs...

but I'll eat one if it's cooked over a nice camp fire. Dill pickles and onions and lots of ketchup.

gotta be on a stick, right??

pdswife said:
I really don't like hot dogs...

but I'll eat one if it's cooked over a nice camp fire. Dill pickles and onions and lots of ketchup.

I love that! We have an outdoor fireplace in the yard. I've been known to pass out sticks, hot dogs and buns, and leave everyone to their own devices.

VeraBlue said:
I love that! We have an outdoor fireplace in the yard. I've been known to pass out sticks, hot dogs and buns, and leave everyone to their own devices.

FUN!!:):)

I envy you people in NYC. My husband and I spent a short time there and we got a hot dog from a street vendor. It was the best hot dog we ever ate. We went back for another one. So sorry we don't have that practice on the West Coast.

I remember the hot dogs in Tijuana being very good, but that was after many Dos Equis and tequila. The dogs were wrapped in bacon and had who knows what on them.

I usually walk down to 86th Street and get Grey's Papaya hot dogs, but sometimes I will get them from the street vendor's. I love the onion mix with mine. I think there was a recipe posted on here at one time that was a recipe similar to the NY onions, but I haven't tried it yet.

My favorite hot dog is a turkey one but I'll eat others. Best grilled or boiled for me and I like them the southern way with mustard, onions and slaw. No chili though only like that in a bowl with cheese and crackers. The hoter the better. I had a good one at Pinks in Los Angeles with slaw, mustard, onions, and chopped tomato.

Grey's Papaya

abjcooking said:
I usually walk down to 86th Street and get Grey's Papaya hot dogs, but sometimes I will get them from the street vendor's. I love the onion mix with mine. I think there was a recipe posted on here at one time that was a recipe similar to the NY onions, but I haven't tried it yet.

There is one down in the St. Mark's vicinity, too, and equally delicious.

a turkey dog..?

southerncooker said:
My favorite hot dog is a turkey one but I'll eat others. Best grilled or boiled for me and I like them the southern way with mustard, onions and slaw. No chili though only like that in a bowl with cheese and crackers. The hoter the better. I had a good one at Pinks in Los Angeles with slaw, mustard, onions, and chopped tomato.

hot like spicy? Interesting.

what, no deep fried hot dogs?

vb, have you never been to rutt's hut in clifton for a ripper. it's the place you can see from both routes 3 and 21, but you can't get there from here. they deep fry the dog until the skin rips, hence the name.

rutt's hut is the only place i'll eat deep fried doggies. otherwise, it's a boiled dog, from a dirty water cart in the city, or from jankee stadium. how can you tell it's springtime in nyc? the vendors change the water in their carts...

i had a griddled nathan's hot dog recently, and was disgustingly greasy. it might have been ok if it were boiled, to rid it of some of the petroleum.

the latest dealio in the city, at least on the west side (yes, i'm doing that low, fingersnapping dance routine) is $1 dogs.
years ago, everything on a pushcart was $1. sodas, pretzels, bag of roasted chestnuts or peanuts, funny cigarettes :cool: , etc..

but then it went up to $1.50, then $2, then $2.50, and so on. recently, the vendors in midtown are offering a dollar dog again. it's skinnier than i remember, but they're oh so good. on an impossibly soft steamed bun, with gulden's mustard and kraut. how can you resist for a buck?

they're so good i started carrying pocketfuls of one dollar bills around, just in case. my wife thinks i'm going to t!tty bars at lunchtime.
so long as i don't come into contact with any glitter or cheap perfume, i'll be alright. :)

of course I know Rutt's Hut...

buckytom said:
what, no deep fried hot dogs?

vb, have you never been to rutt's hut in clifton for a ripper. it's the place you can see from both routes 3 and 21, but you can't get there from here. they deep fry the dog until the skin rips, hence the name.

rutt's hut is the only place i'll eat deep fried doggies. otherwise, it's a boiled dog, from a dirty water cart in the city, or from jankee stadium. how can you tell it's springtime in nyc? the vendors change the water in their carts...

i had a griddled nathan's hot dog recently, and was disgustingly greasy. it might have been ok if it were boiled, to rid it of some of the petroleum.

the latest dealio in the city, at least on the west side (yes, i'm doing that low, fingersnapping dance routine) is $1 dogs.
years ago, everything on a pushcart was $1. sodas, pretzels, bag of roasted chestnuts or peanuts, funny cigarettes :cool: , etc..

but then it went up to $1.50, then $2, then $2.50, and so on. recently, the vendors in midtown are offering a dollar dog again. it's skinnier than i remember, but they're oh so good. on an impossibly soft steamed bun, with gulden's mustard and kraut. how can you resist for a buck?

they're so good i started carrying pocketfuls of one dollar bills around, just in case. my wife thinks i'm going to t!tty bars at lunchtime.
so long as i don't come into contact with any glitter or cheap perfume, i'll be alright. :)
What type of jersey girl do you think I am????? In fact, I've since turned both my kids onto Rutt's Hut. My son, who lives at Montclair State during the school year has since turned his roommates on. I haven't had one in about three years. I'll pay you a dollar if you get me one..

As far as the funny cigarettes goes, when I was in high school in the late 70's, indeed, they were a buck, 5 for five... Now my kids tell me they get one for five. tsk tsk tsk.

I didn't like the fact that they never cut the little crosses into the chestnuts.

I find it amazing that you know everything and everyplace I do.

Last edited:
buckytom said:

Hmmm... Need to call some people on the east coast and set up an ambush.... :mrgreen:

"Honest, I was just walking along and I got doused with cheap perfume and glitter! All I wanted was a hot dog!"

John

Back
Top Bottom