Farmer Mike likes grazing in the yard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FarmerMike

Assistant Cook
I live on a farm in rural Iowa and enjoy grazing in my yard. Some of my favorites are grass, alfalfa, stinging nettle, and mulberries.

I like to incorporate naturally growing food from my yard in my cooking. My favorite thing to do is boil a few leaves of stinging nettle for a couple minutes and throw them into my bread machine to make the dough raise better. I use the leftover water too.

Farmer Mike

I trust you keep the phone number handy for your local poison control center!

Seriously, it's dangerous to eat random things you find growing wild. Know what you're doing.

Hey welcome, Farmer Mike. I can't wait to hear more about what you do with your yard 'food'.

Welcome to the site. Your post is very interesting and reminded me of a lady who wrote the book "I eat weeds". She came a few times to our garden club and helped us identify edible weeds. Most of them are very nutritious.

I'M sure Mike knows what to eat..
I had a friend myself she was a kind of "Kraeuterhexe" (herb witch?) and knew alot about the so called weeds and made us a wonderful dinner with stinging nettle omelette, salad with chickweed and things like that.. *yumm*

so welcome on board, Mike ;o)

FarmerMike said:
I live on a farm in rural Iowa and enjoy grazing in my yard. Some of my favorites are grass, alfalfa, stinging nettle, and mulberries.

I like to incorporate naturally growing food from my yard in my cooking. My favorite thing to do is boil a few leaves of stinging nettle for a couple minutes and throw them into my bread machine to make the dough raise better. I use the leftover water too.

Farmer Mike

Bienvenue, Mike. If you boil it they will come???
Got any sassafras out dere in da yard for some tea? I always like that in the old days.

cara said:
I'M sure Mike knows what to eat..
I had a friend myself she was a kind of "Kraeuterhexe" (herb witch?) and knew alot about the so called weeds and made us a wonderful dinner with stinging nettle omelette, salad with chickweed and things like that.. *yumm*

so welcome on board, Mike ;o)

Identifying weeds is a natural part of growing up on a farm. Much effort and money is spent keeping the fields free of undesirable plants.

I have to say that a stinging nettle omelette sounds pretty good.

I had a survival course once and they taught us many things that could turn into a salad or dinner....or a juice/tea. It was so interesting.

Half Baked said:
Hey welcome, Farmer Mike. I can't wait to hear more about what you do with your yard 'food'.

I tend to appreciate the things I forage for what they are. I'll cook up some nettle and have it as a side dish for a meal. Or, I'll throw some lambsquarter in with my salad greens. Clover adds a nice bit of spicey kick.

I think it's had a big influence on how I look at other foods. For example, tofu should be used in a recipe because the qualities of tofu are suited for the recipe. Trying to make tofu taste like a hamburger is just plain wrong.

I also enjoy traditional ingredients in an relatively unadorned fashion. This Cornmeal Porridge is a good example. (Is linking to a recipe off-site kosher here?) My cornmeal porridge is all about the cornmeal, not a bunch of sweet condiments.

Farmer Mike, I usually use milk in lieu of water in all my cereals. I am very interested in your recipes.

Welcome. Farmer Mike!
I think it's wonderful that you use the ingredients that surround you.
It's extraordinary the things you can find in the countryside which have been abandoned by modern society.
A good few years ago, an English guy wrote a book called "Food for Free" - I have a feeling his name was Richard Mabey, or something like that. Since I'd moved to Venezuela, it wasn't much of a help, but it may just be over there.

Back
Top Bottom