Spicy Sauce on Pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will

Cook
Ok, Pizza hut had the best pizza ever with the Buffalo chicken pizza and took it away :x

Ok, now I want to attempt to duplicate/improve upon that pizza. Perhaps with an added addition from me :) I was wondering if anyone knows where I could start about finding out how to replicate a similar sauce. Its not a hot marinara sauce. Its almost like a wing sauce... but I dont think its quite that easy.

Anyone have any ideas? Im open to suggestions :) I love me some pizza

PS: Any recommended herbs to add on top of it? Not the sauce, just the pizza itself.

I have never had the Pizza Hut Buffalo Pizza but have had one made by a local college cafeteria long before Pizza Hut introduced it. Since my husbands aunt oversees the entire college cafeteria I asked her for the recipe since it was beyond awesome and here is how she stated you make it. I am sure with a little tweaking it will be where you would like it to be.

The sauce recipe was 2 sticks of butter and 1 bottle of hot sauce. You just cook it all up and that's it.

I thought it was kind of weird but it worked for me as well. Tastes just like a buffalo sauce you get at Chillis

Since they make pizza in bulk they use frozen chicken nuggets as a topping. You can make your own but what they used tasted just fine.

You just smear the sauce on the pizza and then place hte chicken on it. Their pizza had some white cheddar on it (not too much).

Butter and Hot sauce??? Oh man do I feel stupid now. I cant believe it was that easy. While its not a duplication of it Im sure, if it will work, then Im all for it.

So it is basically just hot sauce on the pizza... not some kind of wierd hot-sauce-marinara mix ? Thats odd. Oh well, thanks alot for the info Yakuta. I will be trying it soon :D

Hi Will,

I think Yakuta's recipe is what you're looking for. I take half a roasted chicken and cut the meat into chunks. In a saucepan I cook 1/2 cup of butter with 1 cup of hotsauce. Into this I mix my chicken real well. I like to pre-cook my pizza dough for 10 minutes first then I'd spread on my spicey chicken and Cheese and cook for another 5 minutes untill it's bubbly. Don't forget a creamy Bluecheese dip (which I usually layer ontop of my pizza). Might look messy but it is yummyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!! :)

That sounds good.

So you bake it at 350 I guess? How do you know when pizza crust is done?

Homemade pizza (minus making the dough) sounds like an easy task I would like to do. But I want to start with this because Ive been craving it for a while :D

Hi Will,
I bake mine at 450 Preheated oven (home-made dough) brushed with little olive oil & sprinkled with a pinch of salt. I know it's done when it puffs and stars turning very light gold. That's when I add my chicken in hot sauce and cheese and bake it for another 5 minutes.
If you like it super crisp (I like it relatively soft) You can bake it at a 500 oven and leave it a little longer untill deep golden in color.

Enjoy!

Thanks alot for the info... Im learning little by little :)

What does adding the olive oil around the edge do? Ive seen AB do it as well, but I dont remember the exact reasoning... I think I should start taking notes :)

I remember that episode too, he said olive oil around the edges give him an idication when it's done ( because it starts turning golden) and also gives great flavor to the pizza :D

haha, I cant believe you remember the actual show... thats amazing (to me at least). I wonder if soaking some garlic in the oil prior to putting it on the pizza would make it taste even better :)

Thanks for the information moonlight and everyone else... and the ultra-fast replies. Im not used to that :D

will said:
haha, I cant believe you remember the actual show... thats amazing (to me at least). I wonder if soaking some garlic in the oil prior to putting it on the pizza would make it taste even better :)

I bet it would taste far much better Will :D Try it out & let us know ok?

Im gonna try it as soon as I get the opportunity :D Thanks again !

Update

Well, I tried the spicy pizza this weekend. I learned that I need alot of practice at cooking :)

I tried the butter and hot sauce combo. I used both a 1:2 and 1:1.5 ration of butter to hot sauce. 1:1.5 tasted a little better as far as that was concerned.

Here is what I did. Any suggestions or improvements would be greatly appreciated.
1) Pre-cooked pizza crust (pre-made) for 7 min at 375
2) Melted 1/4 cup of butter and added 1/2 cup of hot sauce.
3) Spread the "sauce mix" over the crust, put EVOL on the crust
4) Added the cheese and cooked for another 3-5 min on 450

I did that twice with different proporation as I stated above. I also tried to add some Garlic Powder (didnt have real garlic available) and some other stuff... made it worse :S

The sauce seemed a bit liquidity... is that normal? Is there a way to just barely thicken the sauce without changing the taste?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do season it to make it taste better?

Even though it was not very good, Im determined to try again :) I welcome all suggestions.

Thanks for all help!

Re: Update

will said:
Well, I tried the spicy pizza this weekend. I learned that I need alot of practice at cooking :)

I tried the butter and hot sauce combo. I used both a 1:2 and 1:1.5 ration of butter to hot sauce. 1:1.5 tasted a little better as far as that was concerned.

Here is what I did. Any suggestions or improvements would be greatly appreciated.
1) Pre-cooked pizza crust (pre-made) for 7 min at 375
2) Melted 1/4 cup of butter and added 1/2 cup of hot sauce.
3) Spread the "sauce mix" over the crust, put EVOL on the crust
4) Added the cheese and cooked for another 3-5 min on 450

I did that twice with different proporation as I stated above. I also tried to add some Garlic Powder (didnt have real garlic available) and some other stuff... made it worse :S

The sauce seemed a bit liquidity... is that normal? Is there a way to just barely thicken the sauce without changing the taste?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do season it to make it taste better?

Even though it was not very good, Im determined to try again :) I welcome all suggestions.

Thanks for all help!

maybe a little tomato paste to thicken it up???

hmm...

Wouldnt that add a "tomato" taste to it though? I wanted to stick with the buffalo/hot sauce type taste.

will said:
hmm...

Wouldnt that add a "tomato" taste to it though? I wanted to stick with the buffalo/hot sauce type taste.

It might. You can always adjust the taste/temp before you put in on your pizza dough. Few splashes of addl hot sauce and so forth.

hmm... well, I'll try anything almost once :)

So would I just heat it up in a pan? Would I have to bring it to a boil or just keep it heated? Sorry, Ive never cooked with it before.

will said:
hmm... well, I'll try anything almost once :)

So would I just heat it up in a pan? Would I have to bring it to a boil or just keep it heated? Sorry, Ive never cooked with it before.

try adding it to your butter and hot sauce (step 2 in your description). Just a couple of tablespoons oughta do it.

Hey Will :)

It's great that you're trying! I think you can actually add tomato paste as mudbud suggested, good idea. For me, I use alot of chicken and that doesn't make it liquidy at all! also usually it's better to add the cheese first directly on the crust (after drizzling it with a little olive oil). Adding the cheese below prevents it from burning, then on top I laddle the chicken sauce. When it's just about ready (1-2minutes left) I would add a little more cheese on the top for decoration and let it melt those 2 minutes only.
One more thing, if you like garlic alot, take 1 clove and mince it finely and sautee it in butter for a minute or so, then add in your hot sauce :) One other variation is you could add 1-2T (depending on your taste) of barbeque sauce to the hot sauce aswell to counter-act the heat and spice (my sister does that)..

Will I hope you try it again and keep us posted! :)
GoodLuck!

Thanks alot for the input Moonlight.

I will try the tomato paste next time I make my sauce. I think I will also get some garlic cloves and try mincing them, then add them to the sauce.

Regarding the garlic, I remember AB saying that if you burn them, they will taste really bitter and they wont be "Good Eats". Now, at what temperature will they burn? How long should I let them sit in the sauce pan? Im thinking that I will turn the heat to Med to allow the butter to melt, add the hot sauce and turn down to med-low. Mix everything and then just keep it warm until its needed. Would that be "overcooking" the garlic cloves?

So your saying to add the cheese in the pre-cooking stage of the crust then add the sauce and a bit more cheese for the final 4-5 min? Just want to make sure thats branded in my mind.

Final question (for this post anyways). What types of herbs would go good with this? I was gonna get some parsley but I didnt want to pick up anything because herbs is something I know almost nothing about.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom