Help with menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Hi,
I'm making bbq'd baby back pork ribs tonight and wonder if anyone has any ideas for side dishes? I made cole slaw lat night and we are trying to cut back on carbs, so potatoes are out. We're not on Atkins or anything, just want to maintain a little better life style. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Healthier?? No, but these are sure good...

STUFFED RED PEPPERS W/CHEESY POLENTA & GREEN CHILES
Recipe By :Southern Living, July '04
Serving Size : 6

3 medium red bell peppers
3/4 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon freshly grd. pepper
1/2 cup whipping cream
7 ounces can whole green chiles, drained & chopped
2/3 cup chopped cilantro
8 ounces shredded Monterey jack cheese
2 ounces freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Garnish; fresh cilantro sprigs

Cut bell pepper in half (or cut a "lid" off); clean. Place pepper cups in a lightly greased 13X9" b. dish.
Whisk polenta & next 5 ingred. in lg. pan over medium heat; bring to a boil.

Cook, whisking constantly, 5-7 min. or till polenta thickens & is creamy.

Stir in cream and next 4 ingred., blending well.
Spoon mixture into pepper cups.
Bake at 400° for 25-30 min. or till peppers are tender.
-------

heres a little healthier one - and so very good!!:chef:

SWEET CORN COBLETS - NONIE

6 med. ears corn -- cut into 3/4" thick rounds
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 T. sugar -- (2 to 3)
1 jar chopped pimentos -- (2 oz.) drained
1 tsp each: mustard seeds and crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

In a 6-8 qt. pan, bring 4 qts. water to a boil over high heat.

Add corn; cover and cook till hot (2-3 minutes).
Drain & arrange in a 9X13" dish or rimmed serving platter.
In the same pan, combine vinegar, onion, sugar, pimentos, mustard seeds, red pepper, and salt.
Bring to a boil over high heat and cook till sugar is dissolved.

Pour over corn; let stand till cool, spooning mixture over corn frequently.

If made ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
Serve at room temp. 8-10 servings (no, I think about 4-6, these little devils are addictive!)

Wow! Thanks for the recipes. I will probably try the first one today. I did say a little healthier life style and I know my husband will love it.
Amber, my husbands tolerance for baked beans is limited, so I don't make them, but thanks for the suggestion.

This is my favorite side for ribs (after cole slaw). I'm making both today.

Maque Choux

I’m convinced this delicious Creole side dish is the ultimate accompaniment to grilled food. A friend from New Orleans, Melvina Johnson, used to bring it to ALL our summer barbecues. We really let her have it if she dared to bring anything different.

makes 8 or more servings

1/2 cup unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 small hot pepper, finely chopped (optional)
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
4 cups corn kernels (preferably fresh corn, cut from the cob -- about 4 ears or 1 1/2 pounds)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 cup chicken stock

1. Melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
2. Stir in corn, tomatoes, pepper and cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour in stock. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover partially and cook until all the liquid is absorbed (about 45 minutes.) Stir occasionally.

Teacher Tips: 1. You can make this dish with frozen corn and canned tomatoes, and it will be good – BUT it’s really meant for midsummer, when fresh corn and tomatoes are at their peak. At that time, it’s INCREDIBLE!
2. If you want to make this a vegetarian dish, I suggest substituting vegetable broth for the chicken stock. More Than Gourmet (www.morethangourmet.com) makes a delicious, highly concentrated one you can keep on hand.

I've seen Emeril fix this dish on his show several times. He uses either milk or heavy cream rather than chicken broth, but I think I'd prefer the broth.
I've been meaning to try it...think I'll whip up a batch for supper tonight!

Unless I'm cooking for guests, the only sides I enjoy with ribs of any type are cole slaw, buttered corn on the cob, & "maybe" a green salad.

Corn on the cob is particularly nice because it's just as messy to eat as the ribs - lol!!!

ChefJune said:
This is my favorite side for ribs (after cole slaw). I'm making both today. Maque Choux
This sounds exciting.
What's the English translation of Maque Choux??
"Choux" in French is "cabbage," right?:huh:

Corn Maque Choux Recipe

Maque Choux is best prepared with fresh corn on the cob, but small frozen corn kernels are an acceptable substitute.

Yield: Serves 6

3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups corn kernels (4 – 6 fresh ears or frozen kernels)
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup green onion tops, chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable stock (see cook’s notes)
1 tablespoon butter
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar

Melt 3 tablespoons butter and the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the corn, onion, bell pepper, and green onion, stirring just enough to keep the vegetables from burning. Sauté until the onion is limp and transparent. Add the garlic and sauté a minute more, stirring to keep the garlic from burning. Add the seasonings, stirring to combine. Reduce the heat to very low; add the stock and simmer until the liquid had almost evaporated, stirring often. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter until melted.

In a bowl, whisk the beaten egg and the milk together until frothy. Gradually add the egg mixture to the corn mixture, stirring briskly to keep the eggs from scrambling. Add sugar, stir and increase heat to medium high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat back to low, cover pan and cook for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan occasionally to keep mixture from scorching.

Remove from heat and transfer to a warmed serving bowl. Sprinkle with a little extra paprika and green onion tops, if you wish. Serve while hot.

Cook’s Notes:
While homemade stock is preferred, there are many really good canned or boxed stocks available from your local grocer. Whenever possible, select a ‘natural’ stock and always select a low-sodium or ‘no salt added’ stock. If you can’t find a low-sodium stock, do not add salt to the dish until after adding the stock. Then taste first, before adding salt to taste.

Variation: Substitute a can of Rotel brand diced tomatoes & green chilies for the stock. These spicy tomatoes add a nice dimension to this side dish. Rotel comes in several different 'heats'. The original works well in this dish.

For best results when stirring ingredients while sautéing, use a wooden spatula. You can easily ‘push’ the food around the pan. A flat wooden spatula works well to scrape up the bits in the bottom of the pan when deglazing with liquid. It won’t scratch up your pans either!

i love fresh salads.. like pasta (but your laying off the carbs)

so my suggestions:
Bean salad
greek salad

corn souffles

i love what i called marinated veg salad

sliced Carrots
baby corn
green peppers
red peppers
snap peas
cauliflower
broc.

*now you can quickly blanch these veggies to make them a tad softer*

For the dressing i make my fav vinagrette. each time its different. I personally love a boiled coleslaw dressing on this salad!

SharonT said:
This sounds exciting.
I dont know what the literal translation is. Melvina didn't tell us, and we never asked, that I know of...

:ohmy: I guess Bangbang didnt like my recipe for Maque Choux, tho... He posted another one. I have never heard of any dairy in the recipe before.

SharonT said:
This sounds exciting.

Choux on it's own can refer to either cabbage or a pastry dough i.e. pate a choux. Because Maque Choux is a Creole dish and not a French dish, the word probably took on another meaning, or means something entirely different when combined with another word.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I am definitely going to try the Maque Choux. I ended up with corn on the cob and tabbouleh(sp?).
Pretty darned good, if I do say so, myself.

Thanks again.

Lyndalou

mmmm Tabbouleh! It's such a refreshing salad/side! must be the mint. I like to serve it with lamb either kebabs or chops....:)

ChefJune said:
This is my favorite side for ribs (after cole slaw). I'm making both today.
Maque Choux
I don't know how I missed knowing about this dish, having been born and raised in the "Deep South." We had it for dinner last night with some mahi mahi. Very good. I've done similar things with corn - more of a salsa or relish but I really liked the buttery tasty corn with tomatoes. (I added a jalapeno pepper, used a red bell pepper and added the tomatoes only for the last 10 minutes of cooking.) thanks for the recipe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom