Can I cook muffins in a cake pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frostie

Assistant Cook
Please answer this question for us. We need your help dearly.
We're in a dilemma:confused:.

STORY: We bought a muffin mixture and thought we had a muffin tray. No shops around our suburb (we live on a farm) have a supplication of muffin trays. We have a cake tin at home.
QUESTION: Is it possible to use the cake tin in replacement of the muffin tray for Muffin Mix?

P.S Please give a reason why this should occur or shouldn't

Hi frosty,

What kind of muffins did you buy? Sometimes on the box there will be instructions for making it into a bread. I really can't see why you couldn't make it into a bread or a cake.

Do you happen to have 8 oz. souffle cups? or several of any kind of small container that can be put in the oven? Individual loaf pans?

You would just have to watch it and check for doneness by the inserting a knife or something - when it comes out clean it's done.

As to why I think this can be done? It just sounds like it could :D

Good luck and let me know what you do.

Hmmm.......... I don't know whether I can be of much help at all here, since I'm strictly a seat-of-the-pants scratch cook, but gee, what an intriguing puzzle!

First, however: must you produce actual muffins from this mix, or will it be okay to use the mix to manufacture other goodies, just as long as you come up w/an edible result? If the answer is in the edible result category, then you're home and dry. AND about to have some fun!;)

(This is an aside) I seem to remember that a 12-muffin recipe makes a quantity of batter about equal to a 2-layer cake, so you can try baking a half-batch in your cake tin and see what happens . . . the main hazard I can think of is that muffin batter has to be stirred just enough to combine the ingredients; otherwise they come out tough and full of holes. So why not try the half recipe, per the package directions, and use your cake tin, and see what happens?

If you don't like the results--then make another half batch, only this time cut down on the liquid (probably by about half) so that you can spoon your batter out in blobs that won't run together; this should give you sort of spread-out muffins. (End of aside)

I think the hot setup would be to turn that muffin mix into biscuits (reduce liquid, pat out, cut out, bake), or cake (add sugar and another egg or so and some vanilla and/or some chocolate or cocoa, and then beat it smooth and bake like any other cake; or waffles (beat 3 egg yolks into the batter, beat the batter smooth, beat the 3 egg whites stiff and fold into batter - might need to add a tbsp or so of oil along w/the yolks just as an extra preventive against sticking); or banana bread (add bananas, a couple of eggs, flavoring, bake) etc etc etc . . .

As for the reasons behind all this.........the nature of muffin batter is such that leaving it unbeaten and confined within the muffin cups makes them peak in the center. Therefore it would seem logical to me that unconfined batter would behave altogether differently and would thus have to be experimented with.......

Oh, and I bet you could make a fabulous Yorkshire pudding in your cake tin! Just grease the tin, spoon in some of the juices off the roast, add the batter and bake .......... I've always wanted to try cooking a roast right on the oven rack with a pan on the shelf beneath, and then putting the Yorkshire pudding batter straight into the lower pan at the right time......... and one of these days, I am actually going to do it!!:D:)

Good luck, and let us all know what happens!

Leigh, I've always wanted to do the same with Yorkshire Pudding ( one of my favorites) but I restrain myself....thinking of the oven CLEANING mess afterwards! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom