Zucchini Moussaka

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
Made this for dinner tonight and it turned out great. Good way to use up the zucchini

[SIZE=+2]Zucchini Moussaka[/SIZE]
  • 1 (16 oz) can tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lb ground beef
  • 3 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 to 2 medium size zucchini
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 3/4 cup parmesan, grated
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  1. Preheat oven to 375°.
  2. In medium saucepan over medium heat, cook beef until lightly browned.
  3. Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, paste, cinnamon, oregano and pepper.
  4. Bring to a boil, breaking up meat, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
  5. Cut zucchini into 1/8" rounds.
  6. In plastic bag or bowl, place the cornstarch (you may need more) and either add the zucchini to the bag and shake it, or dip the zucchini in the bowl to cover with the cornstarch.
  7. In baking dish, layer a small amount of sauce, some zucchini, and parmesan. Continue in that order until the zucchini is used up, ending with a layer of parmesan.
  8. In a small bowl, beat egg, blend in sour cream or yogurt, flour and whatever parmesan is remaining or 1/8 cup. Spoon over casserole and bake for 30 minutes or until tender and top golden.
  9. If you'd like the top a little more golden when casserole is done, broil for a minute or two.
**I baked this in a 10 x 10 pan. If you want enough for a 9 x 13 pan, double the ingredients.
:chef:

I've always used eggplant before but since we've got a ton of zucchini about ready to picked I'll have to give this a try.

No cinnamon though... sorry... I just can't.

Thanks for the recipe. :)

Toots, I have made moussaka with zucchini also, but most often I grill them on the BBQ first. I cheat a bit sometimes and have them pre grilled in the freezer. Same for eggplant to be used in Melanzane Parmigiano, but at the same time, I am lucky that our BBQ is situated right next to the kitchen and can be used all year round.:)

Your recipe is diferent than mine and I wil most definitely be trying it out!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom