'Plot to blow up planes' foiled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefScotty

Cook
On the BBC a few mins ago.

A terrorist plot to blow up planes in mid-flight from the UK to the US has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.

It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on aircraft in hand luggage.
Police have arrested about 18 people in the London area after an anti-terrorist operation lasting several months.
Security at all airports in the UK has been tightened and delays are expected. MI5 says the current UK threat level is critical - the highest possible.
According to MI5's website, critical threat level means "an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK".
Scotland Yard said in a statement that their investigation into the alleged plot was a "major operation" which would be "lengthy and complex".
"We would like to reassure the public that this operation was carried out with public safety uppermost in our minds."
Transparent bags
The Department for Transport set out the details of the security measures at UK airports.
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
I was handed a piece of paper saying that pretty much nothing could be taken on board the plane
end_quote_rb.gif

Joe Lynam
BBC journalist at Gatwick

inline_dashed_line.gif

In full: Transport advice

Passengers will not be allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK, the department said.
Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.
"We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only," the statement said.
BBC journalist Joe Lynam encountered the increased security measures at Gatwick airport.
"I was handed a piece of paper saying that pretty much nothing could be taken on board the plane," he said. "Everything had to be checked in and that includes mobile phones, ipods, wallets - even spectacle cases had to be checked in."

i wonder if the bombs were prepared a day and a half before?

seriously, yay scotland yard!!! thank you.

Last edited:
OH MY!! and Jen is flying to Denver tomorrow!

Thanks for the heads up, Scotty.

Unfortunately we've all known it was only a matter of time before something else happened... and thank goodness it hasn't.......... so far. :ohmy: :ohmy: :blink:

Yes Im going from Uk to Denver NO hand luggage
NO laptops NO mobile phones

The plan was to blow up multiple flights from UK to USA.. LOL im on a AA flight as well

Ive had a call from teh Navy this morning (as i volunteer with the US NAVY) and ive been offered a military flight bless them. but we shall see

ya thing is Ish.. Im worried cause their plan was foiled they will try again MI5 released a statement saying this could have been a decoy plan as well,..

wish me luck in flying tomorrow

I suggest you take up the offer of a military flight, as reports I've seen seem to say that the chaos will take days to clear.

I've got friends who've got to drive to London to get the Eurostar - all that way, and that's before they start their journey.

Still awaiting announcement from the Met.

Chef_Jen said:
ya thing is Ish.. Im worried cause their plan was foiled they will try again MI5 released a statement saying this could have been a decoy plan as well,..

wish me luck in flying tomorrow

If I were offered a military flight, I jump at it!

(Now, hang on, if I jump without a parachute...:huh: )

Let me rephrase that...You'd be a lot safer on a B52 than on American Airlines!!

I just heard about this on the morning news. They are now saying that 21 have been arrested, and they are still investigating.
I don't understand this kind of hatred. It's eating these people up!

Take the military flight. It may not be luxurious (like airlines are:rolleyes: ) but it's safe.

Psst, then you can bring the wine.:LOL:

Constance said:
I don't understand this kind of hatred...

Unfortunately you are not alone, and to fight back we well need to start hating them back just as much as they hate us.

The airports must be crazy today. Imagine the delays? But thats what people have to do to be safe. Going without liquids is fine, you can get a drink before boarding, and can get more on the plane when the cart comes around. So glad they caught them.

I believe they interrupted this terrorist plot ...certainly all have not been caught. And I'm sure there are many more to take their places.

My office window overlooks several runways at Dulles International Airport outside of Washington, DC.

Not too many takeoffs and landings today.

Air Marshalls are cute, Jen. Sit next to the tall handsome man who has a bulge under his arm.:)

Back
Top Bottom