Lunch Tommorow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshBenske

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

Im making lunch for a good friend of mine tommorow. Her birthday is Wednsday ( The 16th) But I am going to be out of town working all week so I kind of planned her "Birthday" with me on Sunday. Her day is going to start with a trip for a Pedicure and Manicure, followed by the disposal of a Victorias Secret gift card. Then she will un-knowingly come home to this menu, What do you guys think about the food idea-

Ahi Tuna Carppaccio

Masche Salad with Champagne Lemon Vinagrette and shaved parmesan cheese

Seared Scallops with Lemon Ginger oil

Deconstructed Lobster Tom Ka Gai

Cumin crusted Seared Ahi Tuna with Cilantro and Lemon oil, and Microgreen salad

Citrus Panna Cottta with Meyer Lemon coulis and Lemon Drop Shot ( Bacardi Limon, Organic Sparkling Lemon soda, and Raspberry Sorbet, with Sugar around the rim)

I think it should work out really well. Let me know your oppinions.

Josh

JMHO, but that is an awful lot of seafood. Is she a really big seafood fan? I would go more like this:
Appetizer
Fish course
Salad
Entree (preferrably not seafood again, chicken perhaps?)
Dessert
Or change the appetizer to something non seafood. Are the scallops (Oh, do I love scallops!), ahi, and lobster on one plate as the main entree? Then drop the other fish dishes. I wouldn't serve a second salad with the entree, I would serve a veggie. I am still seeing fresh asparagus in the markets up here, great for such an elegant meal, great colour and nice mild flavour, so as not to compete with the seafood. Not sure if swiss chard is in your market right now, but a little buttered swiss chard or wilted and buttered spinach would nice as well. Buttered and dilled baby carrots is another thought. You just need colour, texture and taste contrasts.
I LOVE seafood, but I don't think I would want that much at one sitting. Like I said, Just My Humble Opinion, and what I have learned in my training. By the way, nice to see another coming into the culinary industry as a career.:chef: The best to you in your studies!

Edited to add: I forgot to ask what starch you are serving, or did I miss it somewhere?

Last edited:
I agree, too many fish dishes. Does she not care for meat/poultry? maybe go with a veggie dish somewhere in there to break up the fish - plus having two tuna dishes. The scallops sound fun - could you add a Vege Ratatouille and make this the entree/main course? Or maybe roasted fingerling potatoes?

What a fun friend you are to do this for her! Have fun.

p.s. - I just noticed - Sacramento?? a culinary student?? Where are you going to school? I used to be the chair for the ACF Chef Apprenticeship program in Sacto - any chance that's the program you are going thru? Good luck.

Last edited:
I am going to be attending the Proffesional Chefs Institute in Campbell, CA. Yes she likes Seafood. She absolutely Loves Ahi, and scallops as well. The main theme of the meal is Citrus flavors, another favorite of hers. All the preperations are served individual for a total of 6 courses. Along with the Ahi is just a small Microgreen salad atop the seared Ahi for presentation purposes more than anything, but It will work really well I believe. The meal is just meant to be light and refreshing. I will post some pictures later today after all is said and done. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom