Mortgage Buster Tomatoes Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjcotton

Senior Cook
I tasted my first one today. Excellent! They are pink versus a gold, red, or orange tomato and very low acid. They are as large [some are larger] than the Beef Steak tomatoes right next to them. I have Sun Gold Cherry, Sweet 100 Cherry, Roma, Beef Steak and Mortgage Buster all in one garden. It looks like a jungle and if you're not careful, something will reach out and grab you. :LOL: . Back to the Mortgage Busters, they are as I said, large, low acid and very meaty; also, fairly prolific, and tasty.

Anyone else grown/eaten these tomatoes?

Moftgage Lifter tomatoes

Hi BJ,

I think you mean Mortgage Lifter tomatoes.

I found a story about them while surfing the web a few years ago.

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=05-P13-00038&segmentID=8

I have grown them for the last two years. They are some of my best tomatoes. (We had two for supper stuffed with good italian tuna, kalamata olives, scallions, capers, chopped sweet pickles, and bread crumbs - a Jacques Pepin fast food recipe. Wonderful!!)

I also grow Santa grape tomatoes, which I grow on a trellis. Unfortunately, this year I had the bright idea of growing pole beans on the same trellis. I now have my own jungle:LOL:

Walt Bulander said:
Hi BJ,

I think you mean Mortgage Lifter tomatoes.

I found a story about them while surfing the web a few years ago.

http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=05-P13-00038&segmentID=8

I have grown them for the last two years. They are some of my best tomatoes. (We had two for supper stuffed with good italian tuna, kalamata olives, scallions, capers, chopped sweet pickles, and bread crumbs - a Jacques Pepin fast food recipe. Wonderful!!)

I also grow Santa grape tomatoes, which I grow on a trellis. Unfortunately, this year I had the bright idea of growing pole beans on the same trellis. I now have my own jungle:LOL:

The stuffed tomatoes sound amazing...and Jacques Pepin is one of my favorite chefs so I think I'll have to try it.

Hello, I have eaten Mortgage Buster tomatoes only once when 1 was given to me to save and plant the seeds, really liked the uniqueness....small seeds, meaty.....anyway its been several years and when i got the seeds out today they seem not so good. I'm trying to get them to sproute at this time. Would love to find a source for these seeds if there are any out there to be had. Gonna try gardening this year and had my heart set on these tomatoes....Please send me some seeds.....Dallas

This is just a downright cruel thread ... do you know it is SNOWING here in Green Bay? Snowing! And you're eating home grown tomatoes? NOT FAIR!

hello all, Jenneyema, tell me you have a lead for the mortgage buster tomatoes i crave.....dallas

Hello all......... Jennyema, tell me you have a lead for the mortgage buster tomatoes I crave.....dallas

This is just a downright cruel thread ... do you know it is SNOWING here in Green Bay? Snowing! And you're eating home grown tomatoes? NOT FAIR!

Hey, Andrea - someone dug up a two-year-old thread. No garden tomatoes yet ;)

Dallas, check your local garden centers. I bought some Mortgage Lifter plants last year - loved them.

Back
Top Bottom