Sauerkraut Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
When I was a child, I was the editor of a little country newspaper for a year. One of the farm ladies in our community gave me this recipe for the paper's "Cook of the Week" feature.

Sauerkraut Cookies
makes 3-1/2 dozen cookies

1/2 cup oleo (one stick) [that's margarine to us modern people]
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup sauerkraut - rinsed, drained, chopped
1 t vanilla
1-1/2 cups sifted flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 t baking powder
1/2 tsoda
1/4 t salt

Cream oleo and sugar, stir in kraut and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together. Gradually add kraut mixture to flour mixture. Drop by teaspoonful 1/2 inch apart on greased baking sheet.

Bake at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes - don't overbake. Remove from baking sheet and cool.

Ice with a powdered sugar chocolate icing and put a whole pecan in the center, if desired.

Vegas Girl said:
Have you tasted these to vouch for how good they are? :LOL:

I cannot. I just tucked these away in a box and came across a bunch of "farm lady" recipes while looking for another one. Thought it would be interesting to share one with an unusual ingredient for a cookie.

Sauerkraut Cake

Here's another Sauerkraut treat! It gives the cake texture and moistness that can;t be beat, and the cake is very good tasting, too! The recipe is from my favorite cake cookbook: One-Pot Cakes by Andrew Schloss

"German" Chocolate Cake

6 Tbs (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 c sugar
6 Tbs cocoa powder (I use a dark rich Schokinag)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 c drained, rinsed and squeezed dry sauerkraut
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c water
1 c flour (all purpose is fine)
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour an 8" layer pan
In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir in the sugar, cocoa, vanilla, eggs, sauerkraut, and salt. Add the baking soda and baking powder in pinches, breaking any lumps with your fingers. Stir thoroughly. Stir in the water, followed by the flour, just until blended.
Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted int he center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool on the rack for 15 minutes more.
Makes 8 servings

Frost with any good chocolate buttercream or other fluffy rich frosting, like a chocolate sour cream frosting.

I have doubled this recipe with success to make a two-layer cake.
Yummy!!

Back
Top Bottom