Corn on the cob - again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
I love farm fresh corn on the cob, and what's not to love??

Ever since I was little, my mother would boil the **** out of it, sometimes for upwards of 30 minutes in the water!! She'd add salt or sugar to the water...doing all sorts of things that could harm the happy little kernels.. But I digress..

It was always served after the main meal, for some reason unknown to me. After the last buger, or piece of chicken, or whatever she was serving was consumed, then she would bring this platter of bright yellow summery goodness to the table. Most of us were too full to actually truly enjoy the corn (regardless of how long she cooked it, or what she dumped in the water, we still loved corn on the cob). And then there were the few ocassions when it was actually forgotten in the pot of water in the kitchen, never even making an appearance on the table.When I started cooking, I began doing my own experiments. I started by reducing the cooking time, settling on 6-8 minutes for boiling, and nothing in the water, save the corn. My favourite method is soaking the corn in the husks, silk removed, in beer or cider for a few hours, and then grilling.

My question: When do you serve the corn on the cob? I never serve it at the end because I want people to actually enjoy it. Was my mother the only one who did this??? Does anyone else serve it at the end??

Fresh corn on the cob is such a rare and special treat that it is usually the only item on the dinner menu at my house. Same with the first strawberries of the season. Strawberries, shortcake and ice cream is our season kick-off meal.

Teleri said:
Fresh corn on the cob is such a rare and special treat that it is usually the only item on the dinner menu at my house. Same with the first strawberries of the season. Strawberries, shortcake and ice cream is our season kick-off meal.

Where are you that it's so hard to get fresh corn on the cob??

By having it the only item on the menu, I suspect you'd never forget it in the kitchen:LOL:

It is possible to get corn here but even at the farmers' markets, the corn has usually been picked the night before. I won't even bother with corn in the grocery stores. That's what makes corn rare for me, it has to be fresh from the field. I remember hearing that you should put your water on to boil and then go pick your corn. Not having a corn field in my backyard, I must rely on a trip to the country. A field of corn lasts less than a week before it passes into inedible territory and everyone's corn seems to ripen on the same day. At most corn season lasts a couple weeks for me.

We're lucky enough to be able to grow our own corn on the cob, and eat it within an hour of picking it, just boiled in water and served with butter as a course on its own at the beginning of the meal. It is superb.
Corn on the cob sold as 'fresh' in UK supermarkets is a lot older. A lot of what I've seen for sale looks dull and dried up. Therefore I don't buy it, so my corn eating season is a bit short! We do freeze some though, but I take the kernels off to do this.

We eat corn on the cob darn near everynite during the season! I grill it and we eat as an appy 'cause I love it straight from the grill to my tummy!!

for some who have not grilled their corn, I clean it, rub with just a little olive oil, put on med. grill and give the cobs a 1/4 turn every four minutes - then to my plate! Good fresh corn, I don't even add salt.

Here in michigan, our local farmers sells fresh corn to our grocery stores, I buy it from them all the time. Its very good too ! When I was growing up we would have fresh corn, fried potatoes, sliced tomatoes and onions. That was dinner ! Yum

When I was a kid, the corn came last. Now we make it part of the meal. The first time I was served corn with the meal, I was stunned that people didn't know the "right way" to serve corn!

We either boil it: drop the corn into boiling water, return it to a boil and turn off the burner. Let it rest, covered for 5 minutes and serve. Remaining ears can stay in the water for another 10 minutes without cooking further.

...or we roast it: 30 minutes directly on the oven rack of a 350 F oven with the husks on but the silk removed.

We serve it with the rest of the meal. Everything is on the plate at the same time.

My favorite way to prepare it is to put it on the grill without shucking or removing the silk or soaking. Just put it on dry. The husk will char and give a great smoky flavor. It is easy enough to get rid of the silk when you open it up anyway so that is why we do not bother to remove it first.

The best corn we ever had was when we were camping. We threw some corn right in the fire and actually forgot about it. When we remembered (about 45 minutes later) we figured the corn was trash. Boy were we wrong. It was amazingly delicious. I don't think I could duplicate that again if I tried though. I think the corn was just in the right place at the right time, the wind was blowing in just the right direction, etc.

I'm too chicken to try grilling it. I figure my timing will be off and I'll ruin one of my favorite treats.

Vera, we serve corn with the meal as our cooked veggie. We usually eat it first as its best piping hot with butter and salt dripping off it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Alix I am challenging you to try it just once. It is hard to screw up, seriously. I promise you that after you try it you will wonder why you were ever nervous in the first place. Seriously, go out and get some corn today and fire up the grill.

Why are you still reading this? get going!!!

Barb L said:
Here in michigan, our local farmers sells fresh corn to our grocery stores, I buy it from them all the time. Its very good too ! When I was growing up we would have fresh corn, fried potatoes, sliced tomatoes and onions. That was dinner ! Yum

I spend the summer in the Traverse City area in Michigan and we are surrounded by thousands of acres of corn. No where have I tasted better corn than here in Michigan and it's picked right in front of you. I eat my share every summer because when I go back to Nevada the only corn that is available is from Mexico and sometimes California. No taste. AAACCCCKKK.:mad:

My mother also used to boil the behejjies out of corn on the cob, as well as any other vegetable she cooked. It was served with the meal.

Today, we raise our own sweet corn and when it is ripe, that is the meal. I steam the corn, mainly because we are usually short on water in late summer and it takes less water to cook the corn this way. I have one of those multicookers, a ss pan with an insert, good for cooking pasta and asparagus and sweet corn. When we blanch the corn to freeze, we also steam it then.

Alix said:
I'm too chicken to try grilling it. I figure my timing will be off and I'll ruin one of my favorite treats.

Vera, we serve corn with the meal as our cooked veggie. We usually eat it first as its best piping hot with butter and salt dripping off it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Go for it, Alix, just go for it. It takes about 20-30 minutes about 6 inches above the heat. You'll be so happy you did. Just remember to turn it every so often.

It seems people have all sorts of ways to grill, some with silk, some without, some with husks, some without. Either way, I think you'll like your results.

I am another person who often finds it hard to get good, fresh corn -in the UK. I have tried growing it, but with no success whatsoever.

When we do get it fresh I rarely even get the first cobs home, and sit in the car munching the raw corn. I was first given raw sweetcorn when staying on a friend's estate in South of France as a kid. As I was the only kid I ended up wandering onto the nearest home farm where there were three boys. They used to pinch the corn from the crop which we munched. It tastes starchier and dryer raw....not many people like it, but I do. So that makes it a meal in its own right. Otherwise, however we cook it it goes at the beginning of a meal, mainly so we can clear the cobs to make room on our plates for other things.

OK Vera and GB I just bought some corn. Got the 6 inches off the grill, got turn it a 1/4 turn every so often. 20 - 30 minutes. Husks on or off? Soaked or not?

VeraBlue said:
I love farm fresh corn on the cob, and what's not to love??

Ever since I was little, my mother would boil the **** out of it, sometimes for upwards of 30 minutes in the water!! She'd add salt or sugar to the water...doing all sorts of things that could harm the happy little kernels.. But I digress..

My question: When do you serve the corn on the cob? I never serve it at the end because I want people to actually enjoy it. Was my mother the only one who did this??? Does anyone else serve it at the end??

VB, I can relate. Growing up my mom prepared corn the same way -- boiling it to death and washing away the nutrients. We've come a long way baby.

Re When do I serve corn (on the cob) - I serve it as a side to the main dish. Always wanted to do a clambake - main dish. Wish I was at the beach right now.

As far as prep for the cob - One method I prefer for indoor cooking is using the microwave -- a pat or two of butter and lime juice, if you like. Wrap the cobs in wax paper, twist the ends & you're not boiling all the goodies away.

If you're grillin', peel away the husks almost to the bottom, remove the silk, rinse if you like, add the butter and spritz of lime -- a little chili powder or paprika will give it another kick.

Have never heard of it being the last thing. And while corn picked and boiled immediately is to be lauded, if corn is picked and kept chilled it is still VERY palatable. And sometimes the supermarkets do that better than roadside stands. I freeze "stewed" corn (creamed corn) every summer. right now the corn season is pretty much over in our part of the country. The supermarket is having corn on sale this week and it is absolutely lucious.
As for cooking, start it in cold water and when it is boiling well, it is ready--and not over cooked.

Alix definitly husks on. I say no soaking, but others like to soak. Both ways work perfectly well. Not soaking will give you a nice smoky flavor.

I do not usually go as long as 20-30 minutes though. I think I usually go closer to 10-15 minutes, but I am sure 20-30 would also work. I guve them a turn every once in a while.

OK, I'll do the no soak 15 - 20 minute thing and see how I do. If I wreck it you are going to have some stinky mail in about a week GB. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom