Hoe Cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Never made "Hoe Cakes" before -what do you serve them with ? In fact never ate them either, but sound good, are they just a breakfast food ?

I saw an episode of Paula Deans where she made them. I think they're a southern thing but I'm not certain. You might go to the foodnetwork site and see if you can locate the episode.

Yes, you can find PD's hoecakes on the Foodtv site. Not just for breakfast! They're sort of a cross between a pancake and a fried cornbread; very tender, tho and delish! You can serve them with butter, honey, or syrup. Great for mopping up sauce or gravy!

When I went to Lady and Sons a couple of years ago, they had T-shirts that said 'Our Hoes are complimentary'!:LOL:

It goes really well with ham and breakfast sausage...for breakfast, lunch or dinner. :)

we make hoe cake here in the south...
you can serve it with any thing.
we southern folk like to dip the hoe cake in green juice...
I love hoe cake, my Grandma made the best...

kimbaby said:
What may be "Green Juice " ???? Life time Michigander 1

BBQ and Cole Slaw

They are the yummiest if you top them with BBQ add some slaw and hot sauce on top. That is the best treat. They are really just corn bread pancakes, you can have them as a bread side dish with anything.

hoe cakes

Whats the difference between hoe cakes and pancakes ?

marmalady said:
Yes, you can find PD's hoecakes on the Foodtv site. Not just for breakfast! They're sort of a cross between a pancake and a fried cornbread; very tender, tho and delish! You can serve them with butter, honey, or syrup. Great for mopping up sauce or gravy!

When I went to Lady and Sons a couple of years ago, they had T-shirts that said 'Our Hoes are complimentary'!:LOL:

green juice

Oh my gosh what is green juice never heard of it
kimbaby said:

carolelaine said:
They are the yummiest if you top them with BBQ add some slaw and hot sauce on top. That is the best treat. They are really just corn bread pancakes, you can have them as a bread side dish with anything.

Yepper, on BBQ and coleslaw....mmmmmmmmm :)

A true hoecake was originally made from cornmeal, salt, and water. They get their name from how they were made by the field hands ... they would build a small fire and use their hoe as a griddle on which to cook them.

The modern recipes using flour, cornmeal, eggs, buttermilk, etc. are actually closer to being something called a Johnny Cake.

It's just a form of cornbread - so use it with anything you would any other corn bread.

Last edited:
Michael, that is the way my grandmother made hoe cakes (minus the hoe). PD's recipe isn't the original by far.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom