Curry Supreme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodtry

Washing Up
carrotcurry.jpg

Curry and rice is a standard meal in many parts of Asia. But in Sri Lanka, it encompasses an amazing array of exciting taste sensations.

Whether served in humble village pots or elegant ceramics, a Sri Lankan curry spread will include a selection of black, red and white curries: ‘black’ curries get their distinctive flavour from dark, roasted spices; ‘red’ curries are fiery, with unroasted spices and lots of fresh or dried chillies; mildest of all are the ‘white’ coconut milk curries containing veggies, fish and chicken. Then there are the pungent sambols or so-called “rice pullers’ – side dishes that whet the appetite – from sweet –sour chutneys and bitter vegetables to spicy lentil wafers.

While this delightful variety may seem haphazard, it is actually dictated by ancient Ayurvedic principles. This “science of life” declares that there should be six tastes present at every meal to balance the body: sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter and astringent.

In the last few years, however, forward-looking Sri Lankan chef and hoteliers have also been reinventing the island’s repertoire of classic curries by lightening heavy flavours, cutting oils and refining the presentation. Though some dishes may now look ‘fusion’, most chefs have stayed true to traditional cooking techniques and flavours.

What delicious looking recipes!!!

Hello Goodtry
Curries are one of my favourite things to cook. Thanks for those recipes. I will be cooking them soon. At least the vegetarian ones, because i am a vegetarian.
Although, i have not noticed bananna root, for sale, in the Asian food store, where i go. I will have to ask them.
Mel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom