Translation..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cara

Master Chef
I'm lost... my translator isn't really a help to me...
what do you call this:

200px-Butterkeks.jpg

tea biscuit, cookie, cracker....in that order.

It's not sweet like a cookie, but not savory like a cracker, either.

Digestive is another word for it. They were served to settle the stomach after a large meal.

I would just call it a biscuit! The sub division of biscuit would be tea-biscuit, I agree VB. We (UK) call a digestive a coarser, less sweet still, biscuit that a rich tea biscuit, and a cracker is for us what you have cheese on...like water crackers, or matzos or ritz crackers! Although we also eat chese with digestives sometimes.

I LOVE THOSE when i use to go to germany with my oma she fed me those...

in english its a butter cookie.. they dont taste the same as a tea digestive.. more of cross between a shortbread and a tea digestive..

Oh how i miss those!!

Oh Cara, I know you can do better than that... it is written right on the biscuit... "butterkeks" >>>> "butter biscuits/butter cookies":-p

urmaniac13 said:
Oh Cara, I know you can do better than that... it is written right on the biscuit... "butterkeks" >>>> "butter biscuits/butter cookies":-p

I know.. but would you understand, what I mean...? :-p

cara said:
I know.. but would you understand, what I mean...? :-p

Of course! But also because I am familiar with Leibniz. They are a little dryer and crispier than the most widely known type of butter biscuits, like the danish ones. So you could add that explanation, too...:)

For those who are not familiar with Leibniz, I think "Tea Biscuits" is the closest thing that they can relate to, as Verablue suggested.

I can get arrowroot biscuits in big supermarkets in south of UK, I've see them, never tried them. I have head them. So, like a McVities rich tea? Is that what is the closest, if you cannot get arrowroot or the original?

Dill pickles: Have you tried the Jewish retailers round North London? ;) I'm sure they could arrange sending them to you.

Chef_Jen said:
I get ppl who visit me from back home (canada and america) to put them in their suitcases!

Where are you at Chef Jen? Even a large trunk wouldn't be big enough for all the things I want from my home in the USA lol !!!!! And that includes alot more than just food. I figured the easiest solution is just to move back which I can't wait to do!!

If you said "butterkeks" to me without showing me the picture, I would think it was a butter poundcake. That is what keks are similar to here in Bulgaria. Sometimes they call muffins that too.

Back
Top Bottom